News Coaches Votes 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anybody tell me how the AFL Match Report best players are chosen?

Are they picked by the AFL person who writes the match report article or do they come from the team's coaching staff?
I ask this, because the match report best players are often quite different to the AFLCA votes (as chosen by the senior coaches).

Our mids are going to steal each other's votes this year, both for AFLCA and the Brownlow. It sucks for them, but what a great position for us to be in as a club to have such an even spread of contributors. Also great to see our new recruits and younguns names on the list!

Can anybody tell me how the AFL Match Report best players are chosen?

Are they picked by the AFL person who writes the match report article or do they come from the team's coaching staff?
I ask this, because the match report best players are often quite different to the AFLCA votes (as chosen by the senior coaches).
They would be the view of that author.

Round 9
FREMANTLE v CARLTON
9 Lachie Neale (Frem)
9 Michael Walters (Frem)
4 Michael Johnson (Frem)
4 David Mundy (Frem)
4 Marc Murphy (Carl)

AFLCA LEADERBOARD
46 Rory Sloane (Adel)
43 Elliot Yeo (WC)
38 Joel Selwood (Geel)
36 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
33 Dustin Martin (Rich)
32 Gary Ablett (GC)
32 Sebastian Ross (StK)
31 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
31 Zach Merrett (Ess)
31 Marc Murphy (Carl)
31 Scott Pendlebury (Coll)

Fremantle Tally
29 Neale
24 Mundy
21 B Hill
19 Walters
14 S Hill
14 Fyfe
6 Taberner
4 Hamling
8 Johnson
4 Blakely
2 Weller

Fyfe and Walters pass their tallies from 2016. Mundy passed his last week. Only Stephen Hill needs 1 BOG to pass his. Meanwhile, Neale is building and already over half his 2016 tally.

Winning helps.

BTW, given Fyfe played 4.5 games (and couple of those injured), you'd hope he'd pass his 2016 tally pretty quickly this year. When he passes his 2015 tally, then we've got something to talk about. ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been a few weeks since we have had any players get votes.

GEELONG v FREMANTLE
5 Michael Walters (third score for the year)
4 Connor Blakely (3rd score too - equal "best" with 4 last year against Lions)
2 Bradley Hill (4th score)

Tally Name
29 Neale
24 Mundy
24 Walters
23 B Hill
14 S Hill
14 Fyfe
8 Johnson
8 Blakely
6 Taberner
4 Hamling
2 Weller

FREMANTLE v ST KILDA
10 Michael Walters (Frem)
6 Sebastian Ross (StK)
4 Jack Billings (StK)
4 Nick Suban (Frem)
3 Jake Carlisle (StK)
2 Jade Gresham (StK)
1 Tim Membrey (StK)

looks like the only thing the coaches agreed on was Walters was BOG

Tbh i thought watching it on the TV it was one of subes better games because i actually noticed him touch the ball the fair bit and provide a bit of grunt through the middle. Normally you only notice him when he gets caught holding the ball.

I think he has 2 games to get to his 150 and then we can thank him for his service and delist or trade him at the end of the year

Those thinking that Lyon game Suban 4 votes after losing the match is dreaming.

No way he gives 5 and 4 votes to our players. He either gave Suban 0 or 1 vote.

Yep, speaking tonight, Alan Richardson extolled Suban's game and cited the "really good job he was doing on Jack Steven" as the reason why Webster eye-gouged him "in frustration".

Yep, speaking tonight, Alan Richardson extolled Suban's game and cited the "really good job he was doing on Jack Steven" as the reason why Webster eye-gouged him "in frustration".
Only because he wasn't allowed to jumper punch him.

Obviously the intended consequence the AFL was looking for.
Out: jumper punches
In: eye gouging

Remove this Banner Ad

Back