Lets say our results for the rest of the season go like this
Win vs Saints
Win vs Brisbane
Loose vs GWS
Win vs Gold coast
Loss vs Hawthorn
Loss vs Geelong
We finish 5th
We then go to an elimination final and loose by a goal.
Does dimma stay considering how great we've been this year and how promising we look for next year or does he go. Our list is in it's prime and for me it just seems stupid to change coach at the moment considering how young and promising our list looks. Imo the time is now and changing coach at the moment would ruin our potential success.
I'm not saying I predict for us to loose in an elimination final btw.

I couldn't see anything other than a complete capitulation in the last 8 weeks leading to Damien being sacked just now. Whilst we're not absolutely setting the world on fire and scoring heavily we are competitive, very good defensively and have only been blown away once in 14 games. Last year had a strange feel to it, almost like the whole club had given up. It's not all down to Hardwick but the changes made over the off season and into this year's games have made us a very different unit and we're getting a LOT of respect from the media, despite the run of close losses. We SHOULD make finals this year and regardless of the end results we look to be on an upward trend. He's contracted for next year, that will be the make or break season.
Not sure what happens if we miss finals from here though!!!!

ComputerSaysNo.jpg

He has to go if we are unable to win a final. Zero from four is not good enough when you have Alex Rance, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and Jack reiwoldt on your list. Plus you've gone and traded pick 7 for Dion Prestia!

Only thing that might save him is away final to Adelaide, Perth or Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just starting to show some of his premiership qualities :D

Dimma and his footy department are in a good place at the moment, don't think they will let one result decide his future. Top 4 and a second chance would be nice!

I couldn't see anything other than a complete capitulation in the last 8 weeks leading to Damien being sacked just now. Whilst we're not absolutely setting the world on fire and scoring heavily we are competitive, very good defensively and have only been blown away once in 14 games. Last year had a strange feel to it, almost like the whole club had given up. It's not all down to Hardwick but the changes made over the off season and into this year's games have made us a very different unit and we're getting a LOT of respect from the media, despite the run of close losses. We SHOULD make finals this year and regardless of the end results we look to be on an upward trend. He's contracted for next year, that will be the make or break season.
Not sure what happens if we miss finals from here though!!!!

Good and fair summary.

I was really surprised to see using Ladder Predictor that if we were unfortunate enough to lose to StKilda twice, GWS, Geelong and Hawthorn, but beat Brisbane, Gold Coast and Freo, we might still finish 10th. Massive variants possible but at least our % holds us up there as well. Runs by Sydney and Hawthorn could put the pressure on - not sure we are good with pressure yet, but way better than we used to be.

depends how we lose the final and against who if its another belting like the port one he probably gets the sack. but i do worry about our smalls being able to stand up in finals football

If We go out in this years finals without winning one he will see out his contract as i really cant see the board sacking a bloke who took a team thats supposed to be bottom 4 and hasnt had a second tall forward since round 2 to september. then we get to have the clown fiesta of will they or wont they extend him right up until we either win or lose a final next year.

Zero from four is not good enough when you have Alex Rance, Dustin Martin, Trent Cotchin and Jack reiwoldt on your list. Plus you've gone and traded pick 7 for Dion Prestia!
Preach it Brother, this is it in a nutshell.

Although I think at least one finals win is coming this year......surely.

If We go out in this years finals without winning one he will see out his contract as i really cant see the board sacking a bloke who took a team thats supposed to be bottom 4 and hasnt had a second tall forward since round 2 to september. then we get to have the clown fiesta of will they or wont they extend him right up until we either win or lose a final next year.

Anyone with half a brain could see we wouldn't be bottom four (I.e. Not the media), we recruited caddy and Prestia to top off 4 genuine stars in a team that had won 42 games in the 66 home and away prior to 2016 and only lost an injured Deledio.

I am stoked we are 4th (I thought at best we'd scrape into the 8) and hope it continues, I pray that we win a final. But reality is if he cannot find a way to win a final at his fourth attempt in 5 years he needs to go.

The opinion of the media, who have a shorter attention span than a toddler on speed (see Wayne Carey proclaiming us premiership material after deriding us when we lost those close games), should not even be considered about performing above expectations. This is especially true when Hardwick has said he expects finals from this team.

Back