HB Mayes Andrews Whitherden

M Zorko DBeams MCluggage
C Martin Rockcliff Mathieson

HF Berry Hipwood Robinson
FF Lester Smith Christensen

Interchange:
Robertson, Taylor, Cutler, Gardiner

Pushing hard for best 22.
Keays, Allison, Cox, Skinner, Bastinac, Schache, McInerney, Barrett, Paparone, Harwood.

Some good depth starting to develop across the board. A strong draft/trade period this year could really set us up for a tilt at finals in 2018-19.

FF McStay Walker Rich

M Zorko DBeams MCluggage

Interchange:

Keays, Allison, Cox, Skinner, Bastinac, Schache, McInerney, Barrett, Paparone, Harwood.

Some good depth starting to develop across the board. A strong draft/trade period this year could really set us up for a tilt at finals in 2018-19.
Tired of watching Daniel Rich constantly making fundamental mistakes week after week that a supposed leader should/would never make. I know he has the tools to be a good player BUT, for me he's not up to it and if you heed what Fagan is preaching, our side needs older/mature players who help this young group mature otherwise they will stick with the young kids development. At the moment, Rich doesn't fit that mould nor does he even look interested or show any disappointment on the field when he produces his usual clangers. He either changes his attitude, or plays footy a little earlier on a Saturday.

FF McStay Walker Rich

M Zorko DBeams MCluggage

Interchange:

I'd have Zorko in the middle, Mathieson on the bench and Cutler on the wing. I'd also consider putting Taylor in the pocket/half-forward since he's our best offensive playmaker and should start our games.

I'd also be inclined I believe that Schache would be part of our best 22 next year, if he isn't then I'd start worrying about how he's coming along.

Tired of watching Daniel Rich constantly making fundamental mistakes week after week that a supposed leader should/would never make. I know he has the tools to be a good player BUT, for me he's not up to it and if you heed what Fagan is preaching, our side needs older/mature players who help this young group mature otherwise they will stick with the young kids development. At the moment, Rich doesn't fit that mould nor does he even look interested or show any disappointment on the field when he produces his usual clangers. He either changes his attitude, or plays footy a little earlier on a Saturday.

I thought that Rich had been having his best season in quite a while up until a few weeks ago where he seemed to be making basic errors which struck me as brain fades. Given he's had a new baby recently I can understand that he may have been a bit off his game recently mentally given how a new bubs upsets your sleep patterns. He'll adapt to it but it could take a few weeks for it to happen. I remember when my son was born, and while physically i was fine, mentally I wasn't functioning at 100%, and that was just sitting at a desk during the day. I'd be giving him a few more weeks to see if he can get back to his form during the first half of the season.

I thought that Rich had been having his best season in quite a while up until a few weeks ago where he seemed to be making basic errors which struck me as brain fades. Given he's had a new baby recently I can understand that he may have been a bit off his game recently mentally given how a new bubs upsets your sleep patterns. He'll adapt to it but it could take a few weeks for it to happen. I remember when my son was born, and while physically i was fine, mentally I wasn't functioning at 100%, and that was just sitting at a desk during the day. I'd be giving him a few more weeks to see if he can get back to his form during the first half of the season.

Hadn't thought of that. I think he plays best as a loose man across half back so he has less defensive responsibilities. Despite a few skill errors I thought he was really good against Port and Freo and good in the last quarter against Essendon. When he plays well, the team play well and unfortunately the opposite also is true seemingly. Can go missing a bit and in the backline of the worst team in the comp isn't a great place to "go missing".

It is becoming interesting now because the battle is starting to become a mental exercise of 'who can't we afford to leave out' rather than 'who can we afford to put in'.

With a fully fit squad, hopefully, at the start of pre-season, there will be very intense pressure for spots. I get the impression that Fagan will reward hard work, skills/ability and experience/maturity in roughly that order from next season now that he knows many of the younger group can step up.

I think we also now have enough of a pool of players in that 15-30 best, that we might be willing to give next years recruits plenty of NEAFL time and only bring them in if their form in the lower level is just too good to ignore any more, rather than out of pure hope. Sometimes I think in the last year or two under Leppa young players got games before they were really ready in the hope of finding a saviour or two.

Which suggests a club that is building development well. Finally.

Shut it Fatcat. Footballers are meant to be 100% all the time! No logical reasons for his form slump please!

Seriously though, I'd have no doubt it probably came into effect once the bub was born. Against Essendon I think his confidence was really shot and his disposal was uncharacteristically bad. I think he'll bounce back this week - the pressure from the coaches will be there.

I will say this, besides the initial * up in the 4th, Rich did a few important things which led to goals. Another game like the Essendon one for Rich and he should worry, but I'd back him to play well. Another positive is he did get 23 disposals and back when rich used to have bad games he'd end up with 10 odd.

Damn I didn't realise he had a baby, that makes a lot more sense. I struggle to work sleep deprived, don't know how someone can play back at AFL level when sleep deprived.

Being a family man myself, I fully understand a new addition to the family having an impact on all facets of your life at that time. In saying that, the harsh reality of life is that if you are not doing your job properly, you are to be held accountable. Whether you are a footballer or have an everyday type of job, no exemptions apply. Like ALL of us, you do the work you are expected to do or become accountable for your inabilities to perform the job at an acceptable level. THATS LIFE....maybe Daniel needs some time off rather than picking up a paycheck for doing a sub standard job.

Had no idea he'd had a baby, would make sense he's a bit off.

We'll at least we know he can hit a target, just needs to do it on field.

Shut it Fatcat. Footballers are meant to be 100% all the time! No logical reasons for his form slump please!

Seriously though, I'd have no doubt it probably came into effect once the bub was born. Against Essendon I think his confidence was really shot and his disposal was uncharacteristically bad. I think he'll bounce back this week - the pressure from the coaches will be there.

I will say this, besides the initial **** up in the 4th, Rich did a few important things which led to goals. Another game like the Essendon one for Rich and he should worry, but I'd back him to play well. Another positive is he did get 23 disposals and back when rich used to have bad games he'd end up with 10 odd.
Rich's stats mean not much in last weeks game. Sorry to sound hard on him BUT, his game was very very poor on the weekend. Brisbane could have done a better job had they specifically kept the ball out of his hands IMO. Give him some time off to adjust to his new life with a new bub, otherwise get in the game & contribute like you should for a pretty good pay packet.

I will say this, besides the initial **** up in the 4th, Rich did a few important things which led to goals. Another game like the Essendon one for Rich and he should worry, but I'd back him to play well. Another positive is he did get 23 disposals and back when rich used to have bad games he'd end up with 10 odd.

If he's mentally drained the coaches should just give him a pillow and tell him to sleep during training.

Probably has gastro too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FF McStay Walker Rich

M Zorko DBeams MCluggage

Interchange:

I'd expect Cox or Keays aswell as Schache to be in that side. Need more than 1 key tall up forward (don't count Smith as he isn't a marking/goal threat).
Gardiner on the bench doesn't make sense to me either. For me he's either in the starting back line or he doesn't play. Feels like a waste of bench rotation to have a key back there and I wouldn't want McStay automatically moved forward at some point if he's playing well down back.

I'd expect Cox or Keays aswell as Schache to be in that side. Need more than 1 key tall up forward (don't count Smith as he isn't a marking/goal threat).
Gardiner on the bench doesn't make sense to me either. For me he's either in the starting back line or he doesn't play. Feels like a waste of bench rotation to have a key back there and I wouldn't want McStay automatically moved forward at some point if he's playing well down back.

Swap Walker out for Gardiner, Smith for Schache. Walker can play a bit of everything and can be a tall utility off the bench. Gardiner, McStay and Andrews can start in the back.

Remember that Walker had one good half. We shouldn't be talking about him being a full time back man. Gardiner has been a lot moe consistent.

FF McStay Walker Rich
HB Mayes Andrews Hodge

M Zorko DBeams MCluggage

FF Lester Schache Christensen

Cutler, Taylor, Gardiner, Robertson.

Rich Skinner Robertson
Witherden Andrews McStay
Cutler Mccluggage Mayes
Robinson Hipwood Taylor
Rockliff Schache Christensen
Martin Beams Berry

Int. Smith Keays Zorko Mathieson

McStay, Andrews, Witherden
Robertson, Mayes, Hodge
Cutler, DBeams, Berry
Robinson, Lester, McCluggage
Schache, Hipwood, Smith/Walker (depending on opposition)
Martin, Rockliff, Zorko

Christensen, Rich, Taylor, Cox

Imagine the impact that bench could have on a game...

The only position I'll explain is walker over Gardiner. I think Robertson has overtaken Gardiner on small forwards. I don't think Gardiner is big enough on tall forwards. I think Andrews and mcstay would benefit significantly from a 'gorilla' defender taking the best forward freeing them up for intercept marking. So I've included walker. It could be skinner by Round 1 next year, it could also be Gardiner. It might be a week to week thing based on the size of the opposition (makes sense v bombers with Daniher and hooker, less so against Richmond with just Riewoldt as a tall).

I personally would probably play paparone over smith to get more run in the team and concede a few ruck contests to get Martin a rest from time to time as a number of teams have done this year, but it doesn't seem to be fagans preferred approach at least at the moment.

Fb: Walker Andrews mcstay
Hb: Robertson Mayes witherden
Mid: Cutler Rockliff Zorko
Fol: Martin beams Mathieson
Hf: Christensen Taylor mcluggage
Ff: Lester schache hipwood
Int: Robinson berry smith rich

Depth
Smalls: keays Bastinac cox paparone Barrett Bewick bell Lyons Allison Dawson
Talls: Gardiner close skinner frost

5 in: Pick 1, pick 12, pick 18, pick 44 (Barrett an upgraded rookie)

Gone
5 out: Freeman beams Clayton Harwood janson

Remove this Banner Ad

Back