2017 England vs South Africa [4 Test matches]

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
This lineup from the selectors is a stinker. Jennings was a 4th string choice and now he is automatic pick!
Ballance in at number 3 was only ever going to be a disaster.

Then we have players like Footitt being ignored for selection..

corbies

Jul 31, 2010
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
S'roos, New Jets, Cronulla
This lineup from the selectors is a stinker. Jennings was a 4th string choice and now he is automatic pick!
Ballance in at number 3 was only ever going to be a disaster.

Then we have players like Footitt being ignored for selection..

Who does Footitt get picked in front of? You've criticised the picking of 2 batsman but then used an example of a bowler who should be picked.

Donnie Darko

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2004
AFL Club
Melbourne
Who does Footitt get picked in front of? You've criticised the picking of 2 batsman but then used an example of a bowler who should be picked.

My lineup

Cook
Hales
Hameed
Root
Bairstow
Stokes
Moeen
Woakes (when fit) / Rashid
Footitt
Broad
Anderson

Sir Digby

Debutant
Feb 26, 2017
The burbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Is it just me or are there shades of Cardiff 2015 to this match? Root gets dropped while England are in a tricky situation and he then gets a century to help England into a good score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Is it just me or are there shades of Cardiff 2015 to this match? Root gets dropped while England are in a tricky situation and he then gets a century to help England into a good score.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to happen more often these days than it used to. Maybe it's because batsmen are naturally more attacking, they take the 'well it must be my day' approach rather than the 's**t, better pull my head in' attitude. When guys like Root and Smith get dropped there is almost a sense of inevitability about them making a big score.

Again this innings has confirmed Stokes' importance to the side. Even without a big hundred (and obviously along with root) he's totally changed momentum.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Was about to post in response to that bizarre little rant so am glad someone got in first. Footit hasn't had much of a year thus far and is rightfully a few back in the pecking order.

Then picking Hameed at 3 after the horrors he's been through this season, what planet do people like this come from?

Root, Stokes and Ali turned it into a great day for the English in the end, pretty enormous momentum swing in the game after being in a tricky sort of position early. Should be a great test.

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
top order of the poms is shakey would is good to see going into the ashes,

SA opening batsman playing his first test at 33 an in ripping form be keen to see how he goes,
side note the pitch was played on last weekend? yet the gabba won't let the afl play on it 8 months ahead of time haha. pitch looks low an slow no chance it will hold up to day 5

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
top order of the poms is shakey would is good to see going into the ashes,

SA opening batsman playing his first test at 33 an in ripping form be keen to see how he goes,
side note the pitch was played on last weekend? yet the gabba won't let the afl play on it 8 months ahead of time haha. pitch looks low an slow no chance it will hold up to day 5

Was it played on by 11 cricketers who wear tiny spikes and are under specific instruction not to run on specific parts of it, and only 2 of whom are involved in play at any one time, or by 36 footballers with massive studs in their boots who can run on it en masse rain hail or shine?

newblueo

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2014
echuca
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was it played on by 11 cricketers who wear tiny spikes and are under specific instruction not to run on specific parts of it, and only 2 of whom are involved in play at any one time, or by 36 footballers with massive studs in their boots who can run on it en masse rain hail or shine?

would of thought the ball being bowled at 150kms by pato would do abit of damage to the pitch an it has it's a low slow deck.
which is maybe what the poms wanted?

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Root will go down as the greatest batsmen england has ever had. May even become there greatest ever skipper as well. Head and shoulders the best batter in the team. Top order is ordinary however their middle order is alot better than ours. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the series pans out.

Johnny_Dogg4

Premiership Player
Apr 5, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Root will go down as the greatest batsmen england has ever had. May even become there greatest ever skipper as well. Head and shoulders the best batter in the team. Top order is ordinary however their middle order is alot better than ours. Will be interesting to see how the rest of the series pans out.

i think 3/4 of eng team is pretty good, however theres still question marks about certain players
not sold on their top order also

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong

Needs to do a lot to supersede Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Barrington, Hutton etc.

Back