Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

I get the impression that AFL media are in the business of pumping up talent that is/was academy, for either trying to get people excited about it or to get happy about the idea of expansion teams having to burn early picks to get them.

Or perhaps the issue is that everyone has to be mentioned and it is entirely in my mind that Allies players are given equal standing with superior football state juniors.

maccamk

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
what are the thoughts on using our number 1 pick this year to get McLovin and a second and a third in 2018 from Adelaide. This boosts our picks to trade up the order to get hill in 2018 and have enough pts in the bank to successfully bid for carter. That would be equivalent to two early firsts in 2018 plus a free McLovin?

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
miniGif_20170707130706.gif

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
what are the thoughts on using our number 1 pick this year to get McLovin and a second and a third in 2018 from Adelaide. This boosts our picks to trade up the order to get hill in 2018 and have enough pts in the bank to successfully bid for carter. That would be equivalent to two early firsts in 2018 plus a free McLovin?

McGovern is a 3rd tall, not a main target. I think we will get pick pick 2 to 5 this year, and you really need that top end talent in your team to win a premiership.

Quiet simply I think McCarthy, Cox are good forwards, and they will improve a lot if we add a main target, ideally Lobb or Brown. If the target was Lobb or Brown I would probably say yes, but as they aren't it has to be a no.

It is very difficult to get a top 5 pick out of clubs hands. I doubt we will get Hill unless we have a top 5 pick ourselves or wait 2 years for him to come back :)

Docker82

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 21, 2013
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think we need two tall forwards with our first two picks. Let's not overreact to McCarthy's form. He's going to be a very good player for this footy club after a few pre seasons and also not getting double teamed (from bombs inside fifty) all day. Most clubs play maybe two key forwards (one pitch hitting in the ruck), one genuine ruck, two key defenders and a third tall at each end that if you're generous could call a KPP but in reality would struggle if they had to play on a genuine KPP. We have decent talls on our list but probably lack the real gun. Top five picks for talls or do not bother - add midfield and small forward class instead.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks

Similar to Cam Mac, Adelaide McLovin may not be 'traditional KPF size' but he has a *-tonne of football talent and IMO that's worth more than 195cm+ players who don't. I would do everything I could to get him... except moving a top-5 pick for a second year in a row.

I dunno, it's a very difficult choice. If we had the 2nd it'd be easy peasy lemon squeezy. But yeah if we're presented with the choice right now it's difficult difficult lemon difficult.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will Sutherland is an athletic 195cm tall forward with strong hands and a decent enough kicking action. Only seen limited vision but my guess is he has a good vertical leap. To highlight the athleticism he played midfield for a bit in the last U18s game.

My understanding is that he has done essentially no pre-season training (unlike other draft prospects - say Brander) so plsying well given that though is also a bit behind in the footy education and possibly relying too much at this stage on his athleticsm. This means he will take some more time to develop compared to say again Brander.

Played in a very aggressive manner in the two U18 games - very much in his opponent's face; seems to have a very competitive streak.

On Oscar Allen - will go somewhere between pick 15 - 35 IMO. We would only have a chance if we traded into the second round.

Assuming we didn't take a tall first round, a better bet for the third round would be Hugh Dixon. 195cm tasmanian key forward who also rucked a bit at U18s but took some strong marks and kicked some goals (has a good kicking action). Already quite well built; probably question marks about his speed but you could do a lot worse.

Huge Dixon is that really his name haha if our recruiters have any sense of humour at all they will definitely pair him up with cox

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

jonesy233

Debutant
May 24, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
I so wish there was a way for us to secure Connor Ballendan. However it seems like he will headed to Brisbane. As for the other players' highlighlight packages - some potential A graders, but I could not see any real elite players (except for Ian Hill who is an absolute freak).

If we get a pick in top 5 I'd trade it for two picks in the 15-25 range. I would then use one of the picks to trade for McGovern and the other on a forward/ruck. As for the rookie draft we should really be looking at international athletes (e.g. basketball players) and try and turn them into rucks.

Last edited:

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just want to say, even with all the critic when older player are played or get back in the team. We have played nearly all players available by now (Nyhuis being close as well). And all have shown promise. I am overall actually pretty happy with our young talent part/current strategy.

Main concern are somehow those who should be delivering by now: Sutcliff, Sheridan, Taberner, Clarke, McCarthy/Kersten recently, Bennell (the last with glimpses of hope atm).

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
I so wish there was a way for us to secure Connor Ballendan. However it seems like he will headed to Brisbane. As for the other players' highlighlight packages - some potential A graders, but I could not see any real elite players (except for Ian Hill who is an absolute freak).

If we get a pick in top 5 I'd trade it for two picks in the 15-25 range. I would then use one of the picks to trade for McGovern and the other on a forward/ruck. As for the rookie draft we should really be looking at international athletes (e.g. basketball players) and try and turn them into rucks.
Ballendan looked great down back actually. Good hands and a lovely penetrating kick.

I think our pick will be 2-4 and I really hope we keep it as good as Gov looks.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Similar to Cam Mac, Adelaide McLovin may not be 'traditional KPF size' but he has a ****-tonne of football talent and IMO that's worth more than 195cm+ players who don't.

If "IMHO" was true there'd be a bunch of 192 cm key forwards running around in the AFL right now. After all, 192 cm players are a lot more common than 199cm players.

Looking forward to your list of 192cm key forwards.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
This draft isn't too bad for talls, should be some value later on, and will be interesting to see who the bolters are.
The combine results can make a huge difference, I think Logue's results had a bearing on our decision.

One of the issues with the ' underwear Olympics ' as they call them in the states is it is favours the physical early bloomers and trackletes

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
If "IMHO" was true there'd be a bunch of 192 cm key forwards running around in the AFL right now. After all, 192 cm players are a lot more common than 199cm players.

Looking forward to your list of 192cm key forwards.

Did you read his post in context?....it was spot on....I totally agree we ultimately need that genuine kpf or kpf/ ruck ...but getting/having 1 in the team just for the sake of having the 'obligatory' 195+ cm kpf despite how average they are is pointless.Any so called advantage their 'height' would bring would be cancelled out 10 fold by exposing their weaknesses

Give me MMcgovern over any average 195+ kpf of the week , twice on sundays

Bit of a spoiler...the BigFooty trial phantom draft will be starting next week. Anyone hoping for a ruck/forward from me will be bitterly disappointed. :p
100% agree. We dont need a ruck/forward and i certainly wouldnt use a top 5 pick on one. Darcy can get a chop out from Pearce/Cox. Would much rather a full time KPF or gun mid. Everyone wants to get rid of Sheridan/Sutcliffe/Suban but then draft a kpf AND Allen with two top 30 picks. Seems stupid to me. We need one genuine KPF and then we are set for first team talls for 6/7+ years. Probably get another back-up ruck next year so we can delist what we have.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
100% agree. We dont need a ruck/forward and i certainly wouldnt use a top 5 pick on one. Darcy can get a chop out from Pearce/Cox. Would much rather a full time KPF or gun mid. Everyone wants to get rid of Sheridan/Sutcliffe/Suban but then draft a kpf AND Allen with two top 30 picks. Seems stupid to me. We need one genuine KPF and then we are set for first team talls for 6/7+ years. Probably get another back-up ruck next year so we can delist what we have.

There are at least 3 ruckman of note this year, Hayes, Coleman-Jones and Crossley. Doubt they all go before pick 40 so we might be able to get a hold of one of them or someone else this year.

Dont think they are ruck/forward but just forward
Yeah I know but Chris' post suggested he was taking something other than forward...or maybe I was just reading into something that wasn't there?...

Back