Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you read his post in context?....it was spot on....I totally agree we ultimately need that genuine kpf or kpf/ ruck ...but getting/having 1 in the team just for the sake of having the 'obligatory' 195+ cm kpf despite how average they are is pointless.Any so called advantage their 'height' would bring would be cancelled out 10 fold by exposing their weaknesses

Give me MMcgovern over any average 195+ kpf of the week , twice on sundays
Most players 192cm or under play better with a taller player in the team, McCarthy and Cameron, Kersten and Hawkins,
and it goes on and on, even with McGovern.
If we ever want to win a premiership a quality tall needs to be acquired, history has proven this is a winning formula.
Hawks are the perfect example, with Roughhead and Franklin.

Bit of a sneak peak into my draft board for Fremantle...

Round 1

Adam Cerra (186cm, 85kg midfielder from Vic Metro)
Darcy Fogarty (192cm, 92kg utility from SA)
Jarrod Brander (194cm, 89kg defender/forward from Allies)
Will Sutherland (195cm, 90kg forward from Vic Metro)
Joel Garner (183cm, 81kg defender from Vic Metro)

There's nothing like having a top 5 pick, I for one hope we don't trade down again this year. The only problem is that you have to wait and see who gets picked ahead of you. But if a couple of talls go early, then somene like Cerra could fall to us as a top line well rounded midfielder. Alternatively, we could have our pick of the talls. The AFL website has Fogarty, Sutherland and Brander ranked 4, 5 and 6 respectively after all. Both Brander and Sutherland project better as CHFs in my opinion, as opposed to genuine from the goal square full forwards. There's always a chance for a surprise though, don't discount the Vic Metro captain Garner as an elite half back who can go through the midfield.

Round 2
No pick

Oscar Allen (191cm, 83kg forward from WA)
Aaron Naughton (194cm, 84kg defender from WA)
Matthew Ling (182cm, 74kg midfielder from Vic Country)
Ryley Stoddart (183cm, 73kg defender from Vic Metro)
Callum Coleman-Jones (201cm, 98kg ruckman from SA)

Do we find a way to trade back into the second round? Probably not, but free agency compensation picks are always a mystery. There's a good chance the WA talls in Allen and Naughton (maybe even Taylor) fall in this 20-30 range. Naughton might be a bit surplus to needs, he's also got a kicking action that isn't for the weak of heart. And continuing my theme of half backs who could be upgrades on what we have now, Stoddart is just a good player who doesn't make many mistakes. While Ling is quickly climbing draft boards on the back of his elite speed and run.

Round 3

Ben Paton (185cm, 78kg defender from Vic Country)
Zac Bailey (180cm, 68kg midfielder from Allies)
Andrew McPherson (186cm, 75kg defender/midfielder from SA)
Nicholas Shipley (190cm, 90kg midfielder from Allies)
Nathan Kreuger (196cm, 86kg forward from SA)

This is about the range that Darcy (#38) and Cox (#41) went last year, so there's usually a good player or two who slips through. Paton is a 19 year old, leading intercept player in the TAC Cup and back pocket of the All Australian side this year. So he can't do much more. On the other side of things is McPherson who missed the Championships with a quad injury, but is a leader on the field and a top 25 pick when healthy. Shipley is a GWS Academy prospect so would require a bid, but I really like him and have him rated much higher than this. Still new to the game, but reminds me a bit of Blakely. While Kreuger is still a bit of a mystery, but could be likened in a way to a taller McCarthy.

Round 4
#58 and #60

Gryan Miers (177cm, 73kg forward from Vic Country)
Brad McCarthy (177cm, 83kg defender from SA)
Brayden Ainsworth (183cm, 75kg midfielder from WA)
Jake Patmore (182cm, 79kg midfielder from WA)
Hugh Dixon (195cm, 92kg forward from Allies)

Bit hard to tell just who will still be on the board come the fourth round, and we may end up upgrading a player instead. But someone like Miers might still be available, think Luke Dahlhaus as a small forward/midfielder with a bit of spark. And the comparison includes some impressive dreadlocks too. While McCarthy is a favourite of mine, really strong bodied small defender with a nice left foot kick on him. Or give the midfield a home grown flavour with a couple of players who could go a touch earlier depending on how things fall.

Rookie Draft

Jordan Johnston (184cm, 76kg forward from Vic Country)
Ian Milera (173cm, 65kg forward from SA)
Taryce Stewart (177cm, 75kg forward from WA)
Tristan Xerri (201cm, 93kg ruck/forward from Vic Metro)
Hayden McLean (197cm, 93kg forward/ruck from Vic Metro)

Bit of a theme with these rookie options - small forward and project tall. Obviously we took Strnadica last year, which may rule out the two talls I've listed but they could be around the mark. McLean in particular was a late addition to the AIS Academy as a strong contested marking forward, hasn't really had the season he'd have wanted so far. Which means he could be one who represents late value. The others are just naturals around goal - Johnston (15 goals from 10 U18 matches), Milera (23 goals from 11 senior SANFL matches) and Stewart (18 goals from 11 senior WAFL matches).

+
If "IMHO" was true there'd be a bunch of 192 cm key forwards running around in the AFL right now. After all, 192 cm players are a lot more common than 199cm players.

Looking forward to your list of 192cm key forwards.

Yeah good one mate, just ignore the whole idea of the post and what I was responding to. My point is there's not much ******* use recruiting a 195+ guy just for the sake of it if he's not actually very good. With Mitch McGovern, IF he want's to come home then there's a talented football player who also happens to be tall. I'd prioritise that over selecting another Apeness just for the sake of having that 195+ guy. If we draft and consequently rate Sutherland or Hayes for that role, great. But otherwise we're not exactly replete with options are we.

Dillon O'Reilly with 7 goals so far for the Sharks, it will be interesting to see how develops next year. Played school footy with CBC Freo in their Grand Final win over Emmanuel College.

+
If we draft and consequently rate Sutherland or Hayes for that role, great. But otherwise we're not exactly replete with options are we.
I know it wasn't the point of your post but I'd very nervous about recruiting both of those, particularly Sutherland who I reckon would choose cricket as soon as we called his name out on draft day.

Hayes being a Vic Metro boy also concerns me but i'd still pick him if he was the best available, I wouldn't if Sutherland was.

Trade to get the second rounder for McGovern.

The likes of Sutherland and Hayes are as you say too much of a flight risk.
Brander on the other hand is my first choice, if he is gone get best available midfielder- we need quality- not just depth.
Cerra looks the goods.

+

Yeah good one mate, just ignore the whole idea of the post and what I was responding to. My point is there's not much ******* use recruiting a 195+ guy just for the sake of it if he's not actually very good. With Mitch McGovern, IF he want's to come home then there's a talented football player who also happens to be tall. I'd prioritise that over selecting another Apeness just for the sake of having that 195+ guy. If we draft and consequently rate Sutherland or Hayes for that role, great. But otherwise we're not exactly replete with options are we.
McGovern would be an upgrade on Kersten no doubt, are they not the same height? The cost is the issue, and with our first
pick we have the chance to get that 194cm plus quality forward we have forever been craving for.
Even when Hawks lost buddy, they had Roughhead and Gunstan 193cm, with David Hale 201cm ruck/forward.

If a KPF is not available and Fogarty is actually better than his champs showing I think he adds a point of difference to our squad. With Sonny, Hills and *fingers crossed* Bennell, we have plenty of class around the ball. Fyfe, Neale and Blakely who can win it.

Being a utility is nice too since we can use him all over the ground as needed.

I think we can find a ruck/forward who draws the 1st or 2nd defender, takes the occasional grab in the goal square and gives Darcy a 20% chopout outside of the first round. I am not sure you can get a genuine CHF outside of the first 10 picks.

I know it wasn't the point of your post but I'd very nervous about recruiting both of those, particularly Sutherland who I reckon would choose cricket as soon as we called his name out on draft day.

Hayes being a Vic Metro boy also concerns me but i'd still pick him if he was the best available, I wouldn't if Sutherland was.

Yep, completely agree with that. Both would make me very nervous especially if they take a while to develop.

I have no doubt that McCarthy will be a good player but neither will he ever be a key forward which is what we actually need

I agree but if we go key forward with a top five pick I see no need to get another with our next best pick unless:

1. They can play second ruck
2. The top five pick can't play second ruck

Last edited:
I agree but if we go key forward with a top five pick I see no need to get another with our next best pick unless:

1. They can play second ruck
2. The top five pick can't play second ruck

Our first pick definitely needs to be a KPF. But to use our next pick on a ruck/fwd are you assuming that cox remains a CHF??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An elite midfielder would hit the spot.

I agree, if Brander is not available then a gun mid is definitely the go.
I really don't like the risk associated with Hayes and/or Sutherland.
We shouldn't reach for a KPF on speculation with such a valuable pick, the commitment from a prospective draftee needs to be rock solid and I'm not sure the Vic Metro boys are a safe bet.
Rayner, Fogarty and Cerra can't be ignored.

Most players 192cm or under play better with a taller player in the team, McCarthy and Cameron, Kersten and Hawkins,
and it goes on and on, even with McGovern.
If we ever want to win a premiership a quality tall needs to be acquired, history has proven this is a winning formula.
Hawks are the perfect example, with Roughhead and Franklin.
Did you read my post properly?, the context in which I was replying?.
I said of course we still need that big kpf , kpf /ruck but having 1 in the team for the 'sake' of having 1 is stupidity and clearly freos match committee (along with a lot of other teams) agree...otherwise we d be playing tabs regardless yeah?....ill state it again give me mcgov jr (whos number 1 strength is contested marking and is still a tall) any day over any mediocre 195+ player.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...aft-sights-on-maurice-rioli-jnr-ng-b88529512z

Fremantle and Richmond could be set for a father-son tug of war in a few years after the son of a South Fremantle legend’s promising start at the AFL’s national under-16 championships.At just 14 years old, Maurice Rioli Jnr - the son of late WAFL and VFL champion Maurice - impressed in his recent debut for the Northern Territory against Tasmania.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...aft-sights-on-maurice-rioli-jnr-ng-b88529512z

Fremantle and Richmond could be set for a father-son tug of war in a few years after the son of a South Fremantle legend’s promising start at the AFL’s national under-16 championships.At just 14 years old, Maurice Rioli Jnr - the son of late WAFL and VFL champion Maurice - impressed in his recent debut for the Northern Territory against Tasmania.
Think its already been covered mate...that rule expired in 2015?...no f/s for us here...just another in a long line of jips for the ffc ..f@#k it !!

I have no doubt that McCarthy will be a good player but neither will he ever be a key forward which is what we actually need
I agree, if Brander is not available then a gun mid is definitely the go.
I really don't like the risk associated with Hayes and/or Sutherland.
We shouldn't reach for a KPF on speculation with such a valuable pick, the commitment from a prospective draftee needs to be rock solid and I'm not sure the Vic Metro boys are a safe bet.
Rayner, Fogarty and Cerra can't be ignored.

I agree with you in principle, but hasn't that been our problem all along. We have not taken a punt on a tall forward (except for Apeness) with one of our early picks. I think we need to give it a crack this year.

Did you read my post properly?, the context in which I was replying?.
I said of course we still need that big kpf , kpf /ruck but having 1 in the team for the 'sake' of having 1 is stupidity and clearly freos match committee (along with a lot of other teams) agree...otherwise we d be playing tabs regardless yeah?....ill state it again give me mcgov jr (whos number 1 strength is contested marking and is still a tall) any day over any mediocre 195+ player.

McGov jnr's strength is not contested marking. Averages less contested contested marks per game than Tabs. Mitch and Jeremy are different people, hard as that may be to believe.

I agree with you in principle, but hasn't that been our problem all along. We have not taken a punt on a tall forward (except for Apeness) with one of our early picks. I think we need to give it a crack this year.

I know what you are saying, what I'm getting is that is don't take a player just for the sake of being tall - needs to be the right fit

How to you reckon Tim Kelly would go in an AFL environment?

As a Souths fan who sees him pretty much every week I reckon he would go very well. He is a certainty to be on a list next season IMO.

As a Souths fan who sees him pretty much every week I reckon he would go very well. He is a certainty to be on a list next season IMO.
Obviously not in the same league but he moves laterally like Andrew Mccleod

Remove this Banner Ad

Back