Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Griff gets the friday call up over Crabs, who now is oficially the worst tall on our list.

That's curtains.

Give the childish nicknames a rest (you and others), adds absolutely nothing to any discussion and he's still a Freo player at the end of the day- we can afford him basic respect. I'm not a fan of him as a player, he's a rookie tall with glaring weaknesses in his game that will likely never improve and therefore won't see him being a big part of our future, but this crusade against one of our own is in s**t taste.

Give the childish nicknames a rest (you and others), adds absolutely nothing to any discussion and he's still a Freo player at the end of the day- we can afford him basic respect. I'm not a fan of him as a player, he's a rookie tall with glaring weaknesses in his game that will likely never improve and therefore won't see him being a big part of our future, but this crusade against one of our own is in s**t taste.
Quality melt.

:p

Its some high profile super fans that have sort of worked against Tabs on here

Is this, or is this not Matt Taberners FFC player profile image?

images

His output speaks for itself. He isn't doing anything of note at WAFL level, but the believers think he's going to perform significantly better in a higher league? Please.

At 200cm+ and with AFL listed players feeding him, he still can't stomp WAFL games.

Kersten was dropped, so all Tabs needed to do last week was stand up and out perform him. He couldn't. He never does. We've given him so many opportunities to come in and step up, time and time again, but it just doesn't happen.

At some point you have to stop being blinded by a couple of good games and accept that he's not the right player for us in the future and it's time to move on. It's blatantly obvious.

His output speaks for itself. He isn't doing anything of note at WAFL level, but the believers think he's going to perform significantly better in a higher league? Please.

At 200cm+ and with AFL listed players feeding him, he still can't stomp WAFL games.

Kersten was dropped, so all Tabs needed to do last week was stand up and out perform him. He couldn't. He never does. We've given him so many opportunities to come in and step up, time and time again, but it just doesn't happen.

At some point you have to stop being blinded by a couple of good games and accept that he's not the right player for us in the future and it's time to move on. It's blatantly obvious.
Speaking to the converted man. There is a few controversial posters that back him in hard and I believe thats why people treat Tabs a bit harshly at times.

It's actually just one poster for the most part and it doesn't excuse or justify the vitriol levelled at him. All I'm asking for is for people to desist with the bay-tier nicknames, I don't think it's a big ask.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's actually just one poster for the most part and it doesn't excuse or justify the vitriol levelled at him. All I'm asking for is for people to desist with the bay-tier nicknames, I don't think it's a big ask.

Can we close this thread? I have kept my silence for 2 years about this so called effect but its really debunked.

Can we close this thread? I have kept my silence for 2 years about this so called effect but its really debunked.

It hasn't been debunked at all though. We are a higher scoring side when Taberner plays because our forward structure is better when Taberner plays.

When Lyon picks a small forward line, they might individually be better players, but our forward line is collectively worse.

No because people will talk about him as long as he's on our list and we need a thread to contain it all. And nobody is necessarily saying the effect is s positive one anyway. He's been good so far for Peel

Maybe remove the word effect? It seems most posts have moved away from the OP and more of discussion of his general performance.

Maybe remove the word effect? It seems most posts have moved away from the OP and more of discussion of his general performance.

Maybe don't be such a pedantic nuisance? It's a Matt Taberner general discussion thread, everyone knows this regardless of whether the word effect is in the title or not.

christ

Tabs last week could've been the difference for us, could've had more marks I50 as a team too.

The last two weeks Marks I50 = 10
(6 vs St Kilda and 4 vs Geelong ).

The opposition in that time = 29 !

So Freo needs a tall marking forward, and it's no secret that having one such as Tabs can help the forward line function better- much like it did against Essendon and Richmond - with Tabs/Kersten/McCarthy

Excellent news for club and player that Tabs sounds to have hit his straps for Peel.
Ludicrous some of the calls claiming his non selection is based on anything other than what is best for all.
They may also have tracked that he needs his confidence levels high before he delivers at the next level.
Who knows, but if you read what Harry Reems has just posted on the Peel thread there's the clear 'Tale of Two Tabs.'

Maybe don't be such a pedantic nuisance? It's a Matt Taberner general discussion thread, everyone knows this regardless of whether the word effect is in the title or not.

christ

Well it's annoying seeing it for 2 years..

Not my fault I can remember the OP and reading discussion that is off topic. If you want I could create a new thread that has relevance and so when it pops up people know it's the latest info on him.

Also this is the first time I asked for a small change. I'm sure other feel the same because it's like someone bumping up year old threads which everyone finds annoying.

Not my fault I can remember the OP and reading discussion that is off topic. If you want I could create a new thread that has relevance and so when it pops up people know it's the latest info on him.

Also this is the first time I asked for a small change. I'm sure other feel the same because it's like someone bumping up year old threads which everyone finds annoying.
Nah I think Righteo is right, this thread has clearly evolved into the general Tabs thread and I am not sure it needs to be changed.

Not directed at Banker:
On Tabs, remember he has still only played 50 AFL games. Most midfielders don't hit their straps until at least that many games. No way you can call him yet. He has shown enough at times to suggest he can do it. The next part is consistency.

Is it likely he becomes a gun? Probably not, but to be so black and white about it at this point is premature. It's also not like he is keeping anyone of note out of the team either.

no. and you're probably the only one who finds issue with it, and i suspect it's because you just want to be an argumentative pest. 1 complaint in 59 pages.

end of discussion.

You look at players like Tabs and see how many games played they have in the AFL but remember how many times he was the sub.
You can't realistically call them games played when he was only on the ground for half a quarter at least.

Don't think he was ever named sub but he was the guy who got the red vest in pretty much every game he played for his first 2 seasons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back