Test Rugby 2017 British & Irish Lions Tour of New Zealand

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow, a drawn series. Never would of expected that coming in but we have Sonny Bill Williams and that "accidental" off side to thank for the result.

Great series but that All Blacks should of won that if Poite followed the damn rulebook

Wow, a drawn series. Never would of expected that coming in but we have Sonny Bill Williams and that "accidental" off side to thank for the result.

Great series but that All Blacks should of won that if Poite followed the damn rulebook
AB were saved a try earlier tho so AB lucky to draw really

Little bit disappointed to see there was no extra time to decide the result like they do in the NRL State of Origin series.

One way to decide drawn games would've been a golden try/point with the first team to score (whether it was the All Blacks or the Lions) winning the game and the series.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One way to decide drawn games would've been a golden try/point with the first team to score (whether it was the All Blacks or the Lions) winning the game and the series.

According to Wikipedia at the World Cup for knockout games it's two 10-minute halves of extra time. That would've been much more enjoyable than a drawn series because 'lel tradition' or whatever.

When the British and Irish Lions go on their next tour to South Africa in 2021, hopefully extra time will be used to decide drawn games in the tour/warm up games, and the 3 Test series against the Springboks.

When the British and Irish Lions go on their next tour to South Africa in 2021, hopefully extra time will be used to decide drawn games in the tour/warm up games, and the 3 Test series against the Springboks.

As pointed out there is a 20 min extra time provision for knockout games and playoff games in Union and if there is still a tie they go to a penalty kick off. As this series isn't a knockout or playoff game there is no provision for it, so a drawn series. New Zealand win the cup that was on the line as they won the series in 2005 but this was more about pride than an instant result.

There will be no extra time in 2021 as they are already cutting the amount of warm up matches due to the amount of time players are playing as it is. Draws are part of Union.

According to Wikipedia the last drawn British and Irish Lions series was in 1955 (vs South Africa). Fair chance the rules are altered by 2021 now that a drawn outcome is in vivid memory.

Draws are part of Union.

Except when the rules have been changed so they don't happen...

this was more about pride than an instant result

What does that even mean? There wouldn't have been pride an in extra time win?

Worst act by a Frenchman on NZ soil since the Rainbow Warrior

I don't know abut that. Last week one actually helped them win a game, while this bloke just prevented the AB's a chance of winning it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to Wikipedia the last drawn British and Irish Lions series was in 1955 (vs South Africa). Fair chance the rules are altered by 2021 now that a drawn outcome is in vivid memory.

Except drawn series are far more common than you are making them to be. Had one last year between France and Argentina, Australia and New Zealand last drew a series in 2015, South Africa last drew a series with New Zealand in 2014, England was last involved in one in 2010 against Australia, while Wales was involved in a drawn series in 2013 with Japan and Scotland was last involved in a drawn series against Argentina in 2008. Only Italy and Ireland have never had a drawn series within the Tier 1 nations. So not a "fair chance" at all.

Except when the rules have been changed so they don't happen...

Only reason extra time was introduced was the introduction of the World Cup in 1987 and the need to have a result at the knockout stages, rather than going to a replay. 30 years on and nothing has changed in the game that makes a full period of extra time needed other than people wanting a result for a result sake.

What does that even mean? There wouldn't have been pride an in extra time win?

More pride in getting a draw, than losing.

Poms would have drop kicked it over if it was up their end. ABs too gutless.

Couldn't understand why the All Blacks didn't go for a drop goal which would've won them the match and the series.

The British & Irish Lions could take a lot out of this, because they defeated 3 of the 5 NZ Super Rugby teams, pushed the All Blacks all the way in the Tests and was unlucky not to win the match. This will give the Lions a great deal of encouragement heading into South Africa in 2021.

Long may the British & Irish Lions continue for many years to come.

Had one last year between France and Argentina

That was a 2-game series. Hardly designed for a conclusive winner.

Australia and New Zealand last drew a series in 2015, South Africa last drew a series with New Zealand in 2014

Those were Rugby Championship games. There's always a Rugby Championship winner.

England was last involved in one in 2010 against Australia

2-game series.

Wales was involved in a drawn series in 2013 with Japan

2-game series.

Scotland was last involved in a drawn series against Argentina in 2008.

2-game series. I've noticed a pattern with your examples.

If anyone thinks (ie the powerful European clubs like Gloucester or Racing Metro) that the British & Irish Lions tour concept has run out of gas, they should get a DVD copy of the Test series between the All Blacks and the Lions, and see just how good the Test series was. In fact, I reckon it was the best 3 game/Test rugby union series played since the 1992 Bledisloe Cup series between the Wallabies and the All Blacks in Australia.

That was a 2-game series. Hardly designed for a conclusive winner.

Yet a 4 game series is? End of the day Union has a long tradition of even numbered matches for a series and as a result drawn series are common regardless if there are 2 matches or 4. You can't change the criteria of what a drawn series is to suit your point when your proven wrong.

Those were Rugby Championship games. There's always a Rugby Championship winner.

Played as part of the RC (and in some years Tests that aren't included as part of the RC to make it 3 or 4 Test Series), but an independent series between Australia and New Zealand to decide the Bledisloe Cup and likewise the Freedom Cup between New Zealand and South Africa. So your point is?

If anyone thinks (ie the powerful European clubs like Gloucester or Racing Metro) that the British & Irish Lions tour concept has run out of gas, they should get a DVD copy of the Test series between the All Blacks and the Lions, and see just how good the Test series was. In fact, I reckon it was the best 3 game/Test rugby union series played since the 1992 Bledisloe Cup series between the Wallabies and the All Blacks in Australia.

The powerful French clubs will always debate its worth as they have to release players before their season is over (this time it was Toulon having to release Halfpenny before playing the Top 14 Final) to play in the warm up matches. But with the move to a global calendar by 2021 that won't be an issue next time around.

The major issue is really jointly from the players side and from the clubs as the Lions fly out the day after the Premiership and Pro 12 Finals and return with Pre Season already underway for next season. With players who play at the top European clubs playing upwards of 40 games a season with no break. So the playing load on the Lions players in a 10 match tour with their club duties on each season either side of the tour with Internationals thrown in as well is already pushing them to the limit. It has already been agreed that the next tour will be cut to 8 matches (or one less week) to allow for a break for the players at either the start of the tour or the end (likely the end so as not to impede on the SH season too much).

Its a shame that the last great tour is being cut in this way but the players need to be protected

If the referee for the deciding 3rd Test was Nigel Owens, would there had been a different result to the Test and ultimately the series instead of Romain Poite?

Awesome series. Well done to the Lions. I, as many thought they would get done 3-0. My first thoughts after the drawn 3rd game was this needs extra time!!! But as I thought about it, I kinda like the tradition and the uniqueness of the drawn series. I give credit to the game of Rugby trying to keep traditions invovled in the game; minimal jerseys sponsons for internationals, barbarian games, etc. Whatever the game needs to do to keep Lions tours going make it happen.

Long time away and a lot of water to go under bridge before we host the Lions again. But with our 5 Major cities all having quality stadiums to pick from, it will be an interesting battle and bidding war to get the tests and tour games. Espically if there are less games in future tours. Places like Brisbane maybe not be a shoe in, with Perth having a bigger stadium.

Also talk of the Pumas having a test against the Lions on Australian Soil.

Finally it was great to see the pub I was at in Brisbane full for the game, shows people love a good game of rugby.

If the referee for the deciding 3rd Test was Nigel Owens, would there had been a different result to the Test and ultimately the series instead of Romain Poite?

Doubtful. Owens might of not let the scrums get to the stage they got (which went both ways to be fair) but he would of picked Reed off for being in front of the kicker at the kickoff before the faithful "accidental" offside. Would of been a tough penalty to convert.

Long time away and a lot of water to go under bridge before we host the Lions again. But with our 5 Major cities all having quality stadiums to pick from, it will be an interesting battle and bidding war to get the tests and tour games. Espically if there are less games in future tours. Places like Brisbane maybe not be a shoe in, with Perth having a bigger stadium.

At this stage pending the outcome of the final decision of the culling of the Super Rugby team in Australia, the Lions Tests in 2025 are set for Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney again with Melbourne set to bring the MCG into the rotation. Who knows what state Super Rugby will be in by then for the remaining 5 tour games but each of the Test cities plus Canberra and Perth will get a game of some form

Also talk of the Pumas having a test against the Lions on Australian Soil.

They are due to get their own full blown tour at some point after 2025 as part of the SANZAA agreement, just depends if its before New Zealand's turn or after in 2029. But a one off test in Australia in 2025 wouldn't be out of the question, they did play the Lions in 2005 in Cardiff and played them to a draw

At this stage pending the outcome of the final decision of the culling of the Super Rugby team in Australia, the Lions Tests in 2025 are set for Brisbane, Melbourne and Sydney again with Melbourne set to bring the MCG into the rotation. Who knows what state Super Rugby will be in by then for the remaining 5 tour games but each of the Test cities plus Canberra and Perth will get a game of some form

They are due to get their own full blown tour at some point after 2025 as part of the SANZAA agreement, just depends if its before New Zealand's turn or after in 2029. But a one off test in Australia in 2025 wouldn't be out of the question, they did play the Lions in 2005 in Cardiff and played them to a draw

Is that set with the 3 big cities? I thought the ARU might put it to a bids and the 3 best bids get the games.

Which ever cities get games, it is going to be a nice pay check for the ARU, brand new Stadium Australia, MCG, Perth Stadium, Lang Park, maybe a new Canberra Stadium and possibly Adelaide Oval.

Lions will probably play the Pumas in London or Cardiff. If they are dropping games and shortening the series, the home nations will want to make it as easy as possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back