Welcome Harley Bennell (To make long awaited Dockers Debut!)

Remove this Banner Ad

From a WAFL perspective I somewhat agree but FFC aren't doing it to win Peel another premiership (just like they weren't last year). They are doing it because they want to pump some game time into their players before the end of season. Harley needs to gel with his team mates and playing at Peel for an extra few games will help just like it helped with Balic.
I agree with your observation. I think last year there was a real push to win a WAFL premiership with our young crop, but this year whilst that would be acceptable collateral (and a strong possibility) the real motivation is to get games into Harley Bennell. Freo won't be playing AFL finals so the extra 1-4 games post AFL season finish will set-up Bennell nicely for 2018. It certainly had the desired effect for Harley Balic.

I agree with your observation. I think last year there was a real push to win a WAFL premiership with our young crop, but this year whilst that would be acceptable collateral (and a strong possibility) the real motivation is to get games into Harley Bennell. Freo won't be playing AFL finals so the extra 1-4 games post AFL season finish will set-up Bennell nicely for 2018. It certainly had the desired effect for Harley Balic.

Players bargaining agreement means a certain number of weeks off. Last year, our players returned from the offseason like they had competed in a prelim. It's interesting whether extending the season or playing WAFL finals is of benefit. I think the latter.

Given Harley's had weeks off already earlier this year. He may play finals and return to preseason with everyone else, shortening his off time. Wonder how it will play out.

Players bargaining agreement means a certain number of weeks off. Last year, our players returned from the offseason like they had competed in a prelim. It's interesting whether extending the season or playing WAFL finals is of benefit. I think the latter.

Given Harley's had weeks off already earlier this year. He may play finals and return to preseason with everyone else, shortening his off time. Wonder how it will play out.

I think it is really a 1:1 thing.
Harley would certainly benefit from the extra games while i would think the younger guys that are already playing 18-20 games would be better to take the time off get over the niggles quickly and start training ASAP.

I think it is really a 1:1 thing.
Harley would certainly benefit from the extra games while i would think the younger guys that are already playing 18-20 games would be better to take the time off get over the niggles quickly and start training ASAP.
I thought we installed the water slides to entice the kids to do a stay-cay at Cockburn. Who needs holidays when we have the ARC.

From what Lyon has said last night, Bennell will play for Peel this weekend.

Would love to see him play 3/4 games at Freo this year. Give us a little sample

Unlikely 4, Lyon has said the plan is to qualify him for Peels finals. So his next 4 games, at least, are with Peel.

We have played 15 so have 7 remaining. We might see him in our last 3 at best - think it might be last 2.

I'm as desperate as the next guy to see Bennell come in and play for Freo - although I think he should play out the rest of the year in the WAFL. If he can get through the seconds until Round 23 in AFL unscathed then put him in for our last game if it's at home (not sure if it is).

I'm as desperate as the next guy to see Bennell come in and play for Freo - although I think he should play out the rest of the year in the WAFL. If he can get through the seconds until Round 23 in AFL unscathed then put him in for our last game if it's at home (not sure if it is).
essendon at etiad

Don't care if he plays AFL or not this season.
Club has always said it's looking at him as a long term addition.
Has taken incredible perserverance and patience by all,particularly Harley.
Be such a success story if he never has a recurrence.
I'm coming up a day early for the derby to go to Leederville Oval Sat arvo to watch the Ball Whisperer's comeback game.
Such a determined effort,it's got to be admired.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On top of all this, I'd be willing to bet the guy needs a game in the AFL for his own mental health. Being out for 19 months would be killer. I think best case scenario is he plays limited minutes this week, a full game the week after and then back for Freo after that. Playing a month for Peel just seems ridiculous to me, but maybe I'm just overly keen to see him in the purple

Why not let Ross and his coaching team decide about bennell ? either way freo or peel ,the media will be full on if bennell injured himself again.

Why not let Ross and his coaching team decide about bennell ? either way freo or peel ,the media will be full on if bennell injured himself again.

I don't think anyone has suggested anything to the contrary? Just speculating about the potential circumstances surrounding his first game for the club, nothing wrong with that.

I don't think anyone has suggested anything to the contrary? Just speculating about the potential circumstances surrounding his first game for the club, nothing wrong with that.
I don't think there is any wrong in that , but let him play his first match and come back injury free before suggesting his first freo match . You are talking about a star player out of the game for 1 1/2 years and not 3 month . Soreness can easily lead to another injury .

Last edited:
I reckon it would do him the world of good to string a couple of AFL games together. His goals at the start of the year would have been to get his calf right, then get through a game (at any level) then play AFL. His confidence will be through the roof and he'd have a taste of the speed of the game. He hasn't played in two years so he needs as many games as possible, just looke at Fyfey this season.

If Bennell gets through the next couple of Peel games unscathed.... and we pull off a few miraculous consecutive wins then we might be seeing him in Purple this year.

If not he can grab us a second, consecutive WAFL Premiership Cup for shits and gigs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back