The Lions, The Roos and the Wooden Spoon

Remove this Banner Ad

Bootstrap

Team Captain
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Round 23 North Melbourne vs Brisbane Lions

Could round 23 determine which one of these teams will be the recipient of the 2017 Wooden spoon?

Who is your pick out of the two?

# Wooden spoons Last

St Kilda. 27 2014

North Melbourne. 13 1972

Melbourne. 12 2009

Sth Melb/Sydney. 11 1994

Hawthorn. 11 1965

Brisbane/Bears/Fitz. 11 1998

Richmond. 7 2007

Geelong. 5 1958

Essendon. 5 2016

Footscray/Bulldogs. 4 2003

Carlton. 4 2014

Collingwood. 2 1999

GWS. 2 2013

West Coast. 1 2010

Fremantle. 1 2001

Gold Coast. 1 2011

Adelaide. - -

Port Adelaide. - -

We need a priority pick in the coaching department.
What's killed you is that two of the sides you'll have played twice this year have beaten you by less than a goal each time (Freo and the Dogs). How many bottom sides have two scalps against top 5 sides? Almost added Geelong to that list too. I'm nervous about our match up in Hobart

We need a priority pick in the coaching department.
I must admit I keep wondering about the rumours regarding Brad walking at year's end and whether it'd just solve a massive issue for North.

North have their bunnies in us and Melbourne to come. That should see them safe as I can't see the Lions winning more than 2 at most for remainder of the season

What's killed you is that two of the sides you'll have played twice this year have beaten you by less than a goal each time (Freo and the Dogs). How many bottom sides have two scalps against top 5 sides? Almost added Geelong to that list too. I'm nervous about our match up in Hobart
Our coaching directive is literally to be competitive against the best sides.

Apart from the occasional temptation to bail completely, he only knows mediocrity and has run the clubs spirit and the bonus Hobart wins dry.

I choose the wardrobe... the witch is non campus mentus... the lion can't decide and has not stealth yet... and the well story hangs in the balance.

don't be stupid and ask me what I mean.. just don't... cretin

I must admit I keep wondering about the rumours regarding Brad walking at year's end and whether it'd just solve a massive issue for North.

It's a strange feeling thinking the best your coach can offer isn't good enough for success. Perhaps should buy into the delusion to ease the strain as the board will struggle to stamp his papers.

It's a strange feeling thinking the best your coach can offer isn't good enough for success. Perhaps should buy into the delusion to ease the strain as the board will struggle to stamp his papers.
It's never just the players and it isn't always the coach.

Luck is always with those who canvas the prospects and try to attract the most interesting, the most diverse and the one who appears to
want to drive a platform and keep the current, and prospective players forward...

You aren't the only team who hasn't tackled the big question and come up a little short.

Just drive a hard bargain and get the most inventive one without being too far travelled to be credible.

Fee,... nix interest... lots... amusement.. everything..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could round 23 determine which one of these teams will be the recipient of the 2017 Wooden spoon?

# Wooden spoons Last

St Kilda. 27 2014

North Melbourne. 13 1972

Melbourne. 12 2009

Sth Melb/Sydney. 11 1994

Hawthorn. 11 1965

Richmond. 7 2007

Geelong. 5 1958

Essendon. 5 2016

Carlton. 4 2014

Collingwood. 2 1999

GWS. 2 2013

West Coast. 1 2010

Fremantle. 1 2001

Gold Coast. 1 2011

Adelaide. - -

Port Adelaide. - -
Top and bottom spot could be decided in R23 - North v Brisbane + Geelong v GWS. Could also see 8th place be decided by the St Kilda v Richmond game.

# Wooden spoons Last

St Kilda. 27 2014

North Melbourne. 13 1972

Melbourne. 12 2009

Sth Melb/Sydney. 11 1994

Hawthorn. 11 1965

Richmond. 7 2007

Geelong. 5 1958

Essendon. 5 2016

Carlton. 4 2014

Collingwood. 2 1999

GWS. 2 2013

West Coast. 1 2010

Fremantle. 1 2001

Gold Coast. 1 2011

Adelaide. - -

Port Adelaide. - -
North/Goldstein could have made it a certainty for us yesterday, IMO we are still a chance to avoid it albeit a very small one. I did post a thread and poll (linked below) on this question a few weeks ago and we have 70.6% of the vote so far.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/who-will-win-the-wooden-spoon.1170249/

They'll do us at the Gabba so we'd need to be at least a game and percentage ahead of them come round 23.

We'll beat Melbourne as we always do, but outside that I don't see another win. The playing group looks mentally cooked.

North have their bunnies in us and Melbourne to come. That should see them safe as I can't see the Lions winning more than 2 at most for remainder of the season
We are a good chance to get rolled by them in Tasmania. If we are any good as a side we will win by 10 goals but i also wouldn't be surprised if we drop that one.

I think we'll beat North in Tassie, the one ground we seem to struggle at is the 'G so I could see us winning away more easily than beating North at home

I think we'll beat North in Tassie, the one ground we seem to struggle at is the 'G so I could see us winning away more easily than beating North at home
I've heard this the past 15 times, let's just wait and see.

Also, how many threads do we need on the wooden spoon.

Yep.
North giving Melbourne and us a yearly dicking is as predictable as the sun coming up each day
I'm more confident about this one, Goodwin gave the group a massive bake last time about not being mentally prepared for how hard North were at the contest.

Plus Goldy went nuts because we had no ruckman, whereas Gawn will play.

That said it's North and you are right

Remove this Banner Ad

Back