Remove this Banner Ad

PA1870FC

Debutant
Jun 29, 2017
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd
Jonas is reminding me of his great performances throughout 2014.

Last couple years he could hardly hit a target with hand or boot but he is back to his best.

Loved his performance y/day. Keep it going Tommy!

Time to bring back this old favourite ;)

thomas-hitman-hearns_16.jpeg

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Personally thought he was gone last year, great come back great game.

Keep working on that kick and could be elite.

He's top 20 in the AFL for effective disposal % (85.1%) and the 9th best of any player to play 10 or more games this year.

He's not as aggressive as he used to be with his ball use, but that's probably worked in his favour. He's winning the ball in the last line of defence and giving it to better ball movers. Safe as houses defensively and offensively, that's the way he needs to keep playing.

Having a bloody good year.

Aug 22, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Bassett would absolutely love working with TJ, reckon he'd be one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the comp & his disposal/decision making under pressure has also improved dramatically.

Feels like he's been around forever but he's only 26 and entering his prime, no doubt Clurey, Hombsch & the rest of our defenders walk taller with the hitman leading the backline.

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
An under rated Jonas moment on the weekend was early in the 4th. Jonas had already been embarrassed by Hutchings a couple times earlier in the game by shrugging his tackles supremely easily, but there was a key moment on the wing where Yeo got the ball, a renowned tackle shrugger, but Jonas had him in a vice like grip and didn't let him go. It was a minor thing but it made a statement that we're on now, our pressure is up and the Eagles weren't getting anything easy now. His double effort a few minutes later was icing on the cake.

Sep 20, 2007
Dungeon
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He has been fantastic this year. Proved me wrong. But still, a 3 years contract was excessive given his last few years - even now when playing this well. Its not like he would have not accepted 1 or 2 years considering he was on the fringe.

On the fringe according to who? Not in the coaches eyes.

Bassett would absolutely love working with TJ, reckon he'd be one of the best 1 on 1 defenders in the comp & his disposal/decision making under pressure has also improved dramatically.

Feels like he's been around forever but he's only 26 and entering his prime, no doubt Clurey, Hombsch & the rest of our defenders walk taller with the hitman leading the backline.

He loves working with Bassett too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has been fantastic this year. Proved me wrong. But still, a 3 years contract was excessive given his last few years - even now when playing this well. Its not like he would have not accepted 1 or 2 years considering he was on the fringe.

Yes, but with all the players we've signed up in the last few years, not getting an indexed increase in salary from the new pay deal, it could prove a masterstroke and set us up to make a major FA signing.

He won't get anywhere near the AA squad (because he's got no profile outside of being the guy that hit Gaff) but he should be a lock. Hasn't been beaten all year.

We've conceded the least points of any team so far this year. We could very well end the year with the best defence. It would be comical if the team with the best defence has zero AA representation. Surely Tommy would get a look in.

simmo_bc

Cancelled
Port Adelaide - Riley Bonner Player Sponsor 2016
Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Leeds United, Portland Trailblazers
People overlook that in 2015 TJ had a quad/hip injury that severely impacted on his game and provided him with the turning arc of the titanic. Had surgery at end of season.

In 2016 I thought TJs form was pretty solid but was then wiped out by the suspension and a season ending hamstring injury.

Back to his best in 2017 without any lingering injury concerns. For me, his contract extension was well and truly justified.

I never quite understood why some BF posters didn't have him in their best side.

Gun, solid as a rock!!

We've conceded the least points of any team so far this year. We could very well end the year with the best defence. It would be comical if the team with the best defence has zero AA representation. Surely Tommy would get a look in.

AA selection panel: "Hold my beer."

No one does comical like the AFL.

AA is about individual and not team performance, which is what our defence is based on. You know what the honour for team performance is?

A premiership.

One for the highlight reel there in the last quarter. Failed punch over the line against 2:1 odds, momentum out of the first contest takes him in the right direction, correct split second decision to bump rather than attempt a tackle. I recognize this football again.

AA is about individual and not team performance, which is what our defence is based on. You know what the honour for team performance is?

A premiership.

Yeah but his individual performance within that team structure has been simply outstanding. If he were playing for a Melbourne team then this would be recognised.

Back