Player Watch #18: Jake Melksham – back for 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I am really building a solid volume of hate towards melkmellow. And I don't tend to hate. This is serious
That was me when he played for us. I wouldn't have wished him on anyone other than the Hawks, Carlton or Collingwood. His one great talent is to bluff coaches that he can play. It's true genius

Sometimes it can take a while to find the best spot/role for players. Take Liam Jones for a recent example, been in the system nearly 10 years but finally looks like he's found his spot. Four years ago there were question marks over Jetta, finally found a spot in defenses and is now one of the teams most consistent peformers. Kudos to the coaching staff, if they've finally managed to work out whats best spot/role for jake. Puts pressure on some of the other boys, as he's not the first player that's dropable anymore.

Get around milkshakes, another goal and setup at least one more. As a run with tagger there is hope...

No coincidence he's come good when he can be a bit of a campaigner and doesn't need to bring it out of defence. Kudos to Goodwin for moving him forward.

He's been ok, definitely having a crack. Kicking not great but we knew that.

One thing I've noticed lately is he falls to ground too easily in marking contests. He needs to fix this.

Getting a few goals though and generally a little more constructive as the seadon goes on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicked the game winner so that's that.

But I'm still skeptical about the value of this trade. Overhead he's clearly average/below average, his kicking is very inconsistent, as a midfielder he's no standout and he doesn't really use his pace to his advantage, if he has any. Looks like a Toyota Corolla in a midfield full of BMWs, just no component of his game is elite. Murphy and Gibbs also got off the shackles if he was tagging them.

Hopefully he can tag Sloane instead of Bernie and let Bernie play as an actual ball winning midfielder.

Kicked the game winner so that's that.

But I'm still skeptical about the value of this trade. Overhead he's clearly average/below average, his kicking is very inconsistent, as a midfielder he's no standout and he doesn't really use his pace to his advantage, if he has any. Looks like a Toyota Corolla in a midfield full of BMWs, just no component of his game is elite. Murphy and Gibbs also got off the shackles if he was tagging them.

Hopefully he can tag Sloane instead of Bernie and let Bernie play as an actual ball winning midfielder.

Meh. Hibberd was worth 2 seconds on his own so if the Melk deal helped make it happen then he's already paid off

Meh. Hibberd was worth 2 seconds on his own so if the Melk deal helped make it happen then he's already paid off
I do agree with that but Melksham's on 400k and while he hasn't been poor by any means, he hasn't been a standout so he shouldn't be getting paid mroe than the average player. That 400k would be important to retaining our young guys, not just Clarry and Trac but even Stretch, ANB, Harmes, Weed in the future once clubs inevitably start circling them.

I do agree with that but Melksham's on 400k and while he hasn't been poor by any means, he hasn't been a standout so he shouldn't be getting paid mroe than the average player. That 400k would be important to retaining our young guys, not just Clarry and Trac but even Stretch, ANB, Harmes, Weed in the future once clubs inevitably start circling them.

400k is a pittance in today's footy. The AFL average is 370 odd now. He wouldn't have moved for 300k and 100k a season ain't going to help us keep anyone lol. When he signed we were probably still barely paying the minimum.

Average wage is definitely inflated by some of the big contracts. You can't pay above the league average for a player unless they are top 10-12 at the club IMO. Just like in the NBA, you can only pay your 5 starters above the average salary of about 7-8M per season, otherwise your hands are completely tied when trying to make new additions

Melksham is borderline best 22, and I doubt Viney, TMac are even getting paid more than Jake right now.

And Adelaide lost Jarryd Lyons last season because they only wanted to offer him 165k a season. Jarryd Lyons is our Alex Neal Bullen. Do we really want to lose him because we couldn't offer him 300k a season?(with the new deal) The new deal does make 400K a season for Melksham look better, but eventually we want to move away from offering potential top 10 players on our list like Lumumba and Melksham more than the league average. I'll be damned if we can't get a free agency target down the line because we paid more than 370k a season to role player.

Average wage is definitely inflated by some of the big contracts. You can't pay above the league average for a player unless they are top 10-12 at the club IMO. Just like in the NBA, you can only pay your 5 starters above the average salary of about 7-8M per season, otherwise your hands are completely tied when trying to make new additions

Melksham is borderline best 22, and I doubt Viney, TMac are even getting paid more than Jake right now.

And Adelaide lost Jarryd Lyons last season because they only wanted to offer him 165k a season. Jarryd Lyons is our Alex Neal Bullen. Do we really want to lose him because we couldn't offer him 300k a season?(with the new deal) The new deal does make 400K a season for Melksham look better, but eventually we want to move away from offering potential top 10 players on our list like Lumumba and Melksham more than the league average. I'll be damned if we can't get a free agency target down the line because we paid more than 370k a season to role player.
Wages are all over the place normally anyway. You have 6 players on rookie wages this year - 80k. Then Hannan, Johnstone, Oliver, Weid, Hulett on draftee wages still - about 120k. Hogan is still on his old 500k deal. There are other guys who aren't on huge money either - Harmes, Hunt, ANB for example.

It's probably a touch high but not so far out there that we are going to lose a player for Melksham's 400k.

I actually think he's been alright the last month. Not going to be a stand out match winner, but his strength is that he has good penetration with both feet so can work the angles in transition. Has also been accurate in front of goal. Was ordinary early in the year but is in the best 22 at the moment. Trade is doing better than my low expectations to be honest. I really didn't like him at the dons.

I'll still relentlessly pot this bloke when he plays bad but must admit he's been decent for us this year. Even on Sunday thiught he was having a stinker then pops up and does some important things including that goal.

Also he truly belts out the song and loves playing for the jumper so really can't hate him too much even with that head.

You cant seriously be comparing it to basketball, there starting 5 also take the majority of the cap which doesn't happen in AFL. We aren't paying anyone big amounts of money either. Just cause Adelaide didnt rate Jarryd Lyons doesn't mean every other side will lose depth players and whether you like it or not he has been best 22 this season. Argue the trade if you want but a 24 year old wouldn't swap clubs for 200k a season and considering our club is actively pursuing midfield depth I doubt we are going to lose it because we paid a bloke 30k above the average. Such a strange thing to get up in arms about by the time ANB signs his next deal Melk will have a year left to run I believe and you are forgetting it was probably front loaded because we were still s**t at the end of 2015 paying no one. We just freed 600k with Dawes will free another 6 with lumumba and Vince will certainly come down from 600 odd to probably 200 if he even stays. Relax mate

Are you suggesting that we pay three quarters of our list below the average wage?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back