The Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

Isn't it this year combine no longer have beep Test ?

That was the talk. That and his mid size. Wanted someone who had the tank to play up the ground as well. 13.1 doesn't seem that bad and he has put together a pretty good career as a stay home forward.Pretty sure he would have gotten a game for us in the past few years unlike poor duffy.
So the talk was the club didn't take a punt on Membrey because of unsubstantiated hearsay about his beep test? Despite having access to the information, presumably like every other club, that would help inform their decision? That doesn't sound right to me.

So the talk was the club didn't take a punt on Membrey because of unsubstantiated hearsay about his beep test? Despite having access to the information, presumably like every other club, that would help inform their decision? That doesn't sound right to me.
Sydney picked him up late and played him a couple of times (pretty good) and then let him go. He was a noted goal scorer and was purported to be a very good long kick. Something about him didn't impress recruiters and we took duffy instead because we believed he could learn to play up the ground, as well as forward.
The point I am making is that sometimes the attitude of recruiters that a player must be able to play in more than one position seems detrimental and possibly unnecessary. Membery has made a good living as a third tall forward and sometimes 2nd. Why isn't that good enough.

Sydney picked him up late and played him a couple of times (pretty good) and then let him go. He was a noted goal scorer and was purported to be a very good long kick. Something about him didn't impress recruiters and we took duffy instead because we believed he could learn to play up the ground, as well as forward.
The point I am making is that sometimes the attitude of recruiters that a player must be able to play in more than one position seems detrimental and possibly unnecessary. Membery has made a good living as a third tall forward and sometimes 2nd. Why isn't that good enough.
Your post answered your question. Why did the Swans let him go? The Saints got him very cheaply and if his talent was that apparent then was he a bit of a dickhead? There can't be many clubs that want to take a punt on a delisted one-dimensional third tall of questionable character.

Your post answered your question. Why did the Swans let him go? The Saints got him very cheaply and if his talent was that apparent then was he a bit of a dickhead? There can't be many clubs that want to take a punt on a delisted one-dimensional third tall of questionable character.
Freo with Shane Yarran?

Sydney let him go because he was walking to Saints in the PSD and they couldn't stop him, they made it easier by delisting him as he was behind Buddy, Tippett and Reid all on huge contracts and couldn't offer him the money or opportunity that the Saints could.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah have to admit , its the impression I got from MJ but like you said I dont think the club will give him that chance, which I also think MJ is quite aware of.

As said in a previous post ...the logical replacement is logue....and tho physically he certainly has MJ covered bar the height, he has a shitload less football smarts hence I think(hope) the club continue to pump as much afl game time into as possible, within reason of course ie there will be times when his form/nature of deficiency requires time at peel
Cox looks ok up forward, albeit without hitting the scoreboard much. The club and himself have said he plays his best footy down back. I think our backline would be dangerous looking like this;

Hughes Hamling Cox
Ryan A.Pearce Weller/Croz/Carter

Use Cox as the intercept marker - seems to have the best pair of hands in the teams. Just need to find a forward! Apeness can hopefully come good. Strnadica could be handy after a few more preseasons. Leaves Logue as a big bodied mid / utility type. And draft a KPF with our first pick.

Cox looks ok up forward, albeit without hitting the scoreboard much. The club and himself have said he plays his best footy down back. I think our backline would be dangerous looking like this;

Hughes Hamling Cox
Ryan A.Pearce Weller/Croz/Carter

Use Cox as the intercept marker - seems to have the best pair of hands in the teams. Just need to find a forward! Apeness can hopefully come good. Strnadica could be handy after a few more preseasons. Leaves Logue as a big bodied mid / utility type. And draft a KPF with our first pick.
Agree. But it is a heap easier for us find a KPD. A couple of beauties will be available this draft. In contrast, Brander is perhaps the only likely KPF at our selection. If Cox is progressing well as a forward I would keep him going, draft a high end mid with our first or the hybrid Fogarty, and look at a KPF next draft. Apeness, Strnadica and Uber in development.

There was an article on afl website on VFL players, this guy is the one I like. We need another small forward.

Ben Cavarra (Williamstown)

A perennial mention on these lists since missing out in the 2013 drafts. Cavarra's resume is immense: two best and fairests for TAC Cup club Eastern Ranges, as well as winning the Morrish Medal, and another two for Frankston in the VFL. Switched to the Seagulls this year and has shone with his skill and pressure as a 175cm forward.

I'm surprised a bit at you saying this, I thought he has shown quite a bit already as a forward.

In his debut game against Brisbane it's hard to judge anything really as the team as a whole just didn't show up. In his next three games however we've been very competitive as a side.

In the Geelong game he didn't really play as a forward target, I mentioned it in the autopsy thread but I think he played more of a link up player on the wing while also helping in the ruck.
upload_2017-7-14_9-14-40.png

Still though he showed his contested marking ability along with his footy smarts leading, few beautiful plays they lead to scoring opportunities.

In his next two games I think he was played more as a forward target and acquitted himself quite well. Kicked a goal in each game, took marks inside 50 (a few contested) 11 score involvements over the two games.

Given our lack of forwards I would be annoyed if he was sent anywhere near the backline this season. Give him the next 6 games up forward and see what he can do. Another reason I would bring Tabs in is so Cox can play as a fulltime forward and not worry about rucking.

v Saints
upload_2017-7-14_9-21-35.png

v North
upload_2017-7-14_9-24-27.png

I'm surprised a bit at you saying this, I thought he has shown quite a bit already as a forward.

In his debut game against Brisbane it's hard to judge anything really as the team as a whole just didn't show up. In his next three games however we've been very competitive as a side.

In the Geelong game he didn't really play as a forward target, I mentioned it in the autopsy thread but I think he played more of a link up player on the wing while also helping in the ruck.
View attachment 392214

Still though he showed his contested marking ability along with his footy smarts leading, few beautiful plays they lead to scoring opportunities.

In his next two games I think he was played more as a forward target and acquitted himself quite well. Kicked a goal in each game, took marks inside 50 (a few contested) 11 score involvements over the two games.

Given our lack of forwards I would be annoyed if he was sent anywhere near the backline this season. Give him the next 6 games up forward and see what he can do. Another reason I would bring Tabs in is so Cox can play as a fulltime forward and not worry about rucking.

v Saints
View attachment 392217

v North
View attachment 392219
You didn't highlight my next bit - the lack of kicking goals is the only thing he hasn't done. Pretty important for a forward. Agree he's looked good for us, but do we play him there just because we have no other option, or do we play him in his best/most preferred position to see what he offers there?

His marking has been great, and he could offer that across half back ala McGovern, Harry Taylor, etc.

I would rather play him back to see what he's got down there, and throw a few more games to Tabs up forward before making a decision on whether to keep him or ditch him.

You didn't highlight my next bit - the lack of kicking goals is the only thing he hasn't done. Pretty important for a forward. Agree he's looked good for us, but do we play him there just because we have no other option, or do we play him in his best/most preferred position to see what he offers there?

His marking has been great, and he could offer that across half back ala McGovern, Harry Taylor, etc.

I would rather play him back to see what he's got down there, and throw a few more games to Tabs up forward before making a decision on whether to keep him or ditch him.
Sorry my point was that he's only really played 2 games as a forward target. In those two games he's kicked a goal in each. Probably should have kicked at least another in the saints game.

Only 4 games into his career, can't really be expecting him to be kicking multiple goals from the get go.

Sorry my point was that he's only really played 2 games as a forward target. In those two games he's kicked a goal in each. Probably should have kicked at least another in the saints game.

Only 4 games into his career, can't really be expecting him to be kicking multiple goals from the get go.
10 goals or GTFO :p
He's not over 195cm.
My brain does not comprehend him as a long term forward.

Not fussed where he plays. Looks like a solid long term prospect. He's looked good forward because of his marking - which is a skill transferable to the backline. Seems to read the play really well too. Maybe we can swing our Cox around the ground a bit.

Well.... This will be an interesting breakdown...

Backline: 1st off Hamling Might potentially be our most experienced tall defender next season. As far as tall defenders go... Dawson is already phased out. Johnson is what? 31/32 years old He isn't playing too badly at the moment. I am alone on this But I am hoping Dawson was going to get another year as a depth player. Johnson should play one more year in the Pav role only playing In the home games. Cox has shown he can play in the backline. I am disappointed with Sam Collins so far as he has only played 1 game this year considering he played 12 games in his debut season last year. I hope he gets more games this year. Alex Pearce is injured Sadly. But we all hope he does well in 2018. Ibbo is out of contract. At 29, you assumed he don't have many games left in him. Spurr is here until 2018. A lot of young guys have Proven to play in the back flanks.

Midfield: 90% of the time the Midfield fixes it self. Freos current Midfield is self explanatory. Mundy, Fyfe, Neale and Blakely are the 4 best inside mids. Balic is another inside mid but he is out of contract, So I don't know if he will stay with us. The Hill Brothers are Freos to best outside mids. There are guys like Langdon, Weller, Harley Bennell (Once Fully fit) can play rotating on a forward flank/Wing. Sandilands and Griffin are near the end of their Careers. Sean Darcys career is about to begin. Strnadica is a Promising ruck/Forward too.

Forward line: In my opinion, still our biggest problem., despite having Pav in the Team. Walters goal wise is having a Down year. Turns 27 in January next year. Still think he will play in our next Premiership tilt or at worst our next finals tilt. Ballantyne is out of contract and is a Free agent. wont be surprised if he gets one more year. Nyhuis was recruited play on a back flank but kicked 4 goals in debut vs North, we should give him games there.

Now for the talls. Matt Taberner divides opinion here. Yeah he has played 50 games and is out of contract. Personally I would keep him for another year. Cam McCarthy and Shane Kersten are both serviceable 190cm 90 kg talls up forward, but neither are the spearhead type blokes to lead a team. Apeness has shown to be a serviceable forward but has done his knee. Strnadica looks like a good forward/ruck too. But we don't know how good he will be after 3-4 years. We will probably go in to the draft using our 1st rounder on a 195 cm plus Victorian key forward.

Overall.... Looking at the list. Freo have won a fair amount of games fielding 11 guys with 50 games or less. I assumed all those blokes are aged 23 or under. A stark contrast to our ageing list at the end of 2008 when freo had only 7 players aged 23 or under.

Apeness has shown to be a serviceable forward but has done his knee.

Has he?

In 7 AFL games Apeness has averaged less than 6 touches a game and kicked 3 career goals. I'd argue he's yet to show anything at AFL level. He definitely has potential if he can get on the park but at this stage that's all it is, potential.

Has he?

In 7 AFL games Apeness has averaged less than 6 touches a game and kicked 3 career goals. I'd argue he's yet to show anything at AFL level. He definitely has potential if he can get on the park but at this stage that's all it is, potential.
With his 3 career goals. All have been set shots, All after taking either a contested mark or a mark on the lead

Has he?

I agree. Apeness has shown stuff all other then he has height.

We've fallen in love with the potential, of which he has some, but no more then any 200cm key forward starting their career.

Alex Pearce definitely showed plenty, but he had more games under his belt and the opportunity to do that.

Apeness never had a run of games.

Personally if we're ruling out Taberner then there's a massive line through Apeness' name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back