Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Well if Allen is as good as Pav I am all for it. Maybe he is... seriously I wouldn't know if he was.

I don't think I will mind too much who we pick (unless we do an Adelaide and pick a Doedee over Burton). I just recognise the difference a proper key forward makes (seriously North aren't in it yesterday without Brown).

Last year the only player I didn't want with our first was Logue. I really liked Berry. I had never even heard of Darcy. That stuff looks like it might work out.
I'm not saying we should draft Allen and I doubt he's as good as Pav. I'm saying we don't necessarily have to draft someone of a certain height.

Personally I'm hoping we draft Darcy Fogarty. Could become an extremely deadly combo with Fyfe, with the two of them rotating through midfield and the forwardline. He really has the potential to be a matchup nightmare that can play tall or short. Could easily play 3 traditional talls next to him as he isn't exactly a tall forward. One of them will have a mismatch and then we exploit that hole. Not many defences could handle this as a forwardline:

Bennell - McCarthy - Fogarty/Fyfe
Walters - Apeness/A.Pearce/Taberner/Strnadica - Uebergang/Kersten/Cox

I'm not saying we should draft Allen and I doubt he's as good as Pav. I'm saying we don't necessarily have to draft someone of a certain height.

Personally I'm hoping we draft Darcy Fogarty. Could become an extremely deadly combo with Fyfe, with the two of them rotating through midfield and the forwardline. He really has the potential to be a matchup nightmare that can play tall or short. Could easily play 3 traditional talls next to him as he isn't exactly a tall forward. One of them will have a mismatch and then we exploit that hole. Not many defences could handle this as a forwardline:

Agree , forgarty help a lot with structure especially when fyfe been tag and move forward you can move forgarty there to help out the mid. Currently ,Kersten or cam Mac just don't have the versatility to play other role.

Yeah fair enough.

I think we can definitely get away with a Hybrid forward line as long as we have some contested marking targets. We need 2 or 3 genuine options (Fyfe is 1) to bomb it to down the line. They don't all have to kick bags of goals (that would be nice though) as long as they contribute in some other way.

This is why Ape, Nads, New ruck/forward are so important if we don't have a genuine KPF. Someone to clunk a few and take the best defender. Then at least one of Cam, Kersten, Fyfe, Fogarty (or similar) get a favourable match up.

There are a number of problems with this view:
  • Pav is in the top echelon of the players to ever play the game. Possibly the greatest ever all round non rucking utility.
  • Pav was a non standard weight for his height, presumably due to his body type. He was 192 and like 98/99/100 kg. Standard playing weight is height - 100. (Meaning he could better defend space against taller defenders)
  • The average height of defenders (and indeed all players) has increased since Pav was in his pomp. Let alone when he was drafted. (In the 20th century!)
Plenty of guys around 192 can still take contested mark. But there is more than one kind of contested mark. The kind the McGoverns or Fyfe take where you float in from the side you just don't get the opportunity to do deep forward since people block your run. Much more useful in the forward to be able to mark shoulder to shoulder in static contests (Like Cloke) or to be have elite pace and leading patters and ability to shield the ball from the spoiling fist on that lead (like say, J Reiwolt). Or be good at all three like Kennedy and Buddy.

That's why Jeremy McGovern is never going to be a number 1 forward. If he goes forward all you need to do it put someone on him who can stop him getting a jump at the ball. With his lack of pace and not particularly good ground work he is then a liability who the defenders can run off.

If you're going pick a guy at that 192ish height to play forward in this day age you'd want to be pretty confident he had more than one string to his bow.

Ahh Gary Ablett and his 100 goal seasons and 9 goals from a wing might have something to say about that all round business

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I heard on radio this morning that an East Fremantle player called Dillon O'Reilly currently leading the goalkicking in the WAFL colts is the son of Stephen O'Reilly who played 98 of his 146 AFL games for Fremantle.

a) any chance of being drafted and b) any father/son eligibility?

I heard on radio this morning that an East Fremantle player called Dillon O'Reilly currently leading the goalkicking in the WAFL colts is the son of Stephen O'Reilly who played 98 of his 146 AFL games for Fremantle.

A) yes - Tundrawolf know a lot about him
B) No

He is 2 games short of father/son as it is 100 games for eligibility.

If Tucker and/or Balic were to leave what does anyone think would be adequate compo for uncontracted promising mids.
I really hope we keep them both but there is a possibility that we could lose them.
Langdon also.

If Tucker and/or Balic were to leave what does anyone think would be adequate compo for uncontracted promising mids.
I really hope we keep them both but there is a possibility that we could lose them.
Langdon also.
My prediction are one or two will be sign together with fyfe extension .

Don't pre season and state games count towards requirements despite not being League matches? Surely he played in the old Anset Cup or something. Or they even had state games back then?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't pre season and state games count towards requirements despite not being League matches? Surely he played in the old Anset Cup or something. Or they even had state games back then?

Not from what I can see from a quick Google search.

Playing for East Fremantle will make him tainted, should be father / son at the Black Ducks, alot better career path.

Dillon is good overhead and when in the midfield attacks the ball hard. Has a bit of mongrel or lack of discipline about him. Was sent off in the schools GF against Emmanuel College. Was awarded the medal for the most consistent player of the winning team throughout the competition.

The state academy rate him pretty highly.

A top five pick could can get us a quick, long running, elite ball user.

The sort of player who can play half back to half forward.

Like Darcy Tucker.
If we don't do a deal with our top pick like last year, the player you are describing is our Academy
player, so just have to wait for a year, and I would take the best tall if available.
Also our kids are developing faster than anyone expected, the natural growth in their games is already
on display.
Guys like Blakey, Tucker, Hughes, Weller, Darcy, are having break out years, have put the seniors out
to pasture, and there are more on the sidelines.
If we can manage our injuries better, the list is in pretty good shape with players under 26.
Bennell, Balic, if he stays, Langdon, A Pearce, all would be best 22 if fit.

If we need to draft a tall we'll have a few options around pick 5-10.

Jarrod Brander 195cm
Sam Hayes 203cm
Callum Coleman Jones 199cm
Connor Ballenden 199cm
Noah Balta 194cm

Those blokes all listed in Knightmares July top 10. Even more specifically right in our pick range between picks 5-10.

Personally I'm not sold on a top pick for a tall BUT it doesn't seem a 'reach' with a few of these guys listed in our range.

The ruck/forward in Sam Hayes could be the one we'd specifically need and target?

Jarrod Brander 195cm
Sam Hayes 203cm
Connor Ballenden 199cm
Noah Balta 194cm

Those blokes all listed in Knightmares July top 10. Even more specifically right in our pick range between picks 5-10.

Personally I'm not sold on a top pick for a tall BUT it doesn't seem a 'reach' with a few of these guys listed in our range.

The ruck/forward in Sam Hayes could be the one we'd specifically need and target?

His top 10 is well off, as bad as some of his player comparisons. Coleman-Jones and Balta are barely top 30 prospects.

Jarrod Brander 195cm
Sam Hayes 203cm
Connor Ballenden 199cm
Noah Balta 194cm

Brander and Hayes the 2 to look out for there. A little unconvincing for me. Also complicated as I love the look of the WA talls that will present as options later. I know the group think says don't trade down, but Clark/Dow/Worpell and Naughton/Allen/Taylor/Krueger, we would be creating some options.

Jarrod Brander 195cm
Sam Hayes 203cm
Connor Ballenden 199cm
Noah Balta 194cm

I would be happy with Brander or at a stretch Hayes with our first. The rest I would be concerned based on what I have seen and/or read.

His top 10 is well off, as bad as some of his player comparisons. Coleman-Jones and Balta are barely top 30 prospects.

No worries Chris.

A fair bit to play out and player movements change frequently. Will Brodie was touted as number 1 by many right up until the draft and went at what again?

I notice in your selections you have a few talls, so basically what I'm saying is if we want a tall and we have say pick 5-10, then we should be able to grab one that suits a need.

Where as last year we kinda wanted a tall but it was going to be a reach plucking Tim English at an early pick or even Marshall. Maybe Logue was a reach too?

Not a bad forward line. Essentially a 5 man forward line with a rotating mid.

Gutted Apeness is injured and Strnadica is only in his 1st year.

History shows one thing... When Freo has a 1st rounder, things and predictions are.... unexpected

Remove this Banner Ad

Back