Toast Nick Suban 150th

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember which interview, but Fyfe once said that he credited a bit of his success to players like Suban, who would often run with his man so that he can be more attacking and able to take risks.

Could it be that Suban is a fall boy. Maybe. Anyway he is a decent enough player to last in the league for 150 games, so good job and I hope he has a great game.

IMG_1463.jpg

Some great names on here. And Suban's will be too!

Must be from 2016 so not sure if we welcomed more last year?

Anyway, hope we lift and beat the Egirls

I thought he was going to be Luke Hodge like and many thought he'd be a future captain!

Hasn't quite reached those (exceedingly) high expectations

Yeah, they were massive. It wasn't so much his ability, but his on field attitude and instant 'team first' mentality that I think caught many people's eye. I always had my doubts only because he just didn't seem like a naturally 'smart player' - but certainly thought he'd turn into something we see in Neale for example - a more often 'up' than 'down' type performer. 150 games later, and he's done OK in the circumstances, but obviously nothing like many of us thought.

I can't remember which interview, but Fyfe once said that he credited a bit of his success to players like Suban, who would often run with his man so that he can be more attacking and able to take risks.

Could it be that Suban is a fall boy. Maybe. Anyway he is a decent enough player to last in the league for 150 games, so good job and I hope he has a great game.
Pretty sure he mentioned that in his Brownlow winning speech!

Suban has been a decent role player. However, there has been no game I can think of that he's dominated. Much like others on here I think I had higher hopes for him when he was drafted - thought he'd be a future captain. Ive spoken to him a few times, particularly in his younger days, kind of quiet but well spoken lad. Complete opposite to his raging white line fever attitude he seems to have on the field.

In saying that, he must have impressed all the coaches who have selected him to reach 150 games - something more than the fans do - so it's a credit to him.

Well done Subes. I look forward to Jack coming through the ranks too.

He's a trooper.Has been integral to the rise in our club's credibility.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight.Never forget the day he demolished the two main Geelong playmakers in one afternoon of Subernation.
Completed the fastest and most comprehensive man-marking job in the history of modern footy by propelling Joel Selwood into Ballas head.
Probably rehearsed and the result was:
Subes v J.Selwood rnd 14 2017:Selwood 0 touches of any description after the warm up.
Mission accomplished he moved seamlessly to Dangerfield and crushed him for three quarters.
Racked up a lazy 18 possies and a goal as an afterthought himself.
A little scrapper who gives his all.

EDIT:The infantryman himself,questioned by idiots.

The rollercoaster of footy

Last edited:
He's a trooper.Has been integral to the rise in our club's credibility.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight.Never forget the day he demolished the two main Geelong playmakers in one afternoon of Subernation.
Completed the fastest and most comprehensive man-marking job in the history of modern footy by propelling Joel Selwood into Ballas head.
Probably rehearsed and the result was:
Subes v J.Selwood rnd 14 2017:Selwood 0 touches of any description after the warm up.
Mission accomplished he moved seamlessly to Dangerfield and crushed him for three quarters.
Racked up a lazy 18 possies and a goal as an afterthought himself.
A little scrapper who gives his all.

EDIT:The infantryman himself,questioned by idiots.

The rollercoaster of footy
Can't help it, but after reading this post I had Sam Mitchell on my mind...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go back and watch his game against Essendon? (Late in the season) in his first year. It's a shame. Such a waste playing him as a scragger so much of his career, just because he put in more effort defensively than others.

Lyoned.

I'm going to admit - I'm a Suban fan. In his 150 games at Freo he's been an integral part of our first grand final and acknowledged as being a big part of our first Brownlow winner. Sure he's had ups and downs, but those ups can be match winners.

Off field he's given us #mymatenick and been a serial pest on Docker TV.

On field - I've gone youtubing and found some highlights for you all to remember the good times and why he's earned life membership. Thanks Subes for a great 150 games so far! And hopefully an amazing F/S in little Jack Suban in 17 years time!

That left boot!

Sounds a bit like the comment Judd made about the Eagles "whipping boy", Rowan Jones.

One player blocks and does the dirty work, another player thrives due to the freedom it gives them.

I must say he has definitely been one of my scapegoats in the past two years.

But he actually started off as probably my favourite player. I loved the way he played, his left boot and he has provided some great highlights for us. I was convinced he was going to be a captain one day

Congrats to him.

suban sign 127.jpg

Great to see him having less HTB . :thumbsu:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back