meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Deluca on gaff , have speed, hardness and tackle to put him off.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Last year you blokes were old and supposedly challenging for a flag. You came 16th.

This year we are old and we were supposedly challenging for a flag. We are languishing mid-table.

Any advice on how to handle this situation as a diehard fan? I know it's slightly different with the magnitude of the two situations, but there are some parallels.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
Last year you blokes were old and supposedly challenging for a flag. You came 16th.

This year we are old and we were supposedly challenging for a flag. We are languishing mid-table.

Any advice on how to handle this situation as a diehard fan? I know it's slightly different with the magnitude of the two situations, but there are some parallels.
No. It sux as any remaining hope is extinguished. I was at Domain last Sunday and heard the general frustrated comments from those around me.
But, it's difficult to rebuild on the run lately or top up your midfield when GC and GWS take most of the top 10 midfielders every year, and Silvagni filters off the stragglers for Carlton,

Wally Walpamur

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle

I find it ironic how we heard for all of 2015 that we had to start playing the youth, the list was getting a bit long in the tooth, Ross is a dud coach for not being able to see it and then BAM!!! A couple injuries to a few key West Coast supporters, the coach not playing the youth and nobody knows if the youth are any good and West Coast will probably just be making up the numbers in finals this year.

I'll be stoked if our young side pants the father time eagles this weekend.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
suban on mitchell (he's the most damaging out of the middle. Fyfe 1 on 1 with Shuey. Myhouse on Governator to keep him honest. Ballas to actually do something since it's at Domain in front of his home crowd.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
suban on mitchell (he's the most damaging out of the middle. Fyfe 1 on 1 with Shuey. Myhouse on Governator to keep him honest. Ballas to actually do something since it's at Domain in front of his home crowd.

....and who on Kennedy?

Mind you I'm hoping they are bringing him back too early and he plays like a smashed crab.

We need to ensure he has no room to lead and has to compete with somebody who is good overhead.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
....and who on Kennedy?

Mind you I'm hoping they are bringing him back too early and he plays like a smashed crab.

We need to ensure he has no room to lead and has to compete with somebody who is good overhead.
I would put Collins on Darling for similar size, strength and speed. Hamling on Kennedy, and MJ intercepting to help out on both (or take resting ruck - in which case Hughes is intercepting).

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
I find it ironic how we heard for all of 2015 that we had to start playing the youth, the list was getting a bit long in the tooth, Ross is a dud coach for not being able to see it and then BAM!!! A couple injuries to a few key West Coast supporters, the coach not playing the youth and nobody knows if the youth are any good and West Coast will probably just be making up the numbers in finals this year.

I'll be stoked if our young side pants the father time eagles this weekend.
haha. Is that to their egos or TVs?

wild side

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 29, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle

You shouldn't have re-signed Priddis, just like we shouldn't have re-signed Danyle!!!

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Fremantle Age Eagles Age
Ballas 30 Mitchell 34.7
Logue 19.3 Lecras 30.9
Darcy 19.1 Gaff 25
Fyfe 25.8 Sheed 22.3
Suban 27.2 Sheppard 26.1
B. Hill 23 Yeo 23.7
Walters 26.5 Masten 28.2
Weller 21.4 Redden 26.5
Hughes 22.6 Priddis 32.3
Mundy 32 Shuey 27.1
Crozier 23.5 Duggan 20.5
Tucker 20.5 Cripps 25.3
Blakely 21.3 Kennedy 29.9
Hamling 24.3 Vardy 26
Kerstan 24.2 McGovern 25.3
Neale 24.2 Jetta 28.2
S. Hill 27.2 Hurn 29.8
Spurr 30 Darling 25.1
Cox 18.9 Cole 20.1
Johnson 32.8 Lycett 24.8
Ryan 21.5 Nelson 21.4
Collins 23.1 Schofield 28.5
Grey 22 Hutchings 26.1
Deluca 21.2 Barrass 21.7
Nyhuis 20.8 Petrie 34.8
Average 24.096 Average 26.572
Selected 22 24.43636 Selected 22 26.72727

This does not bode well for West Coast if we win.

I assumed that the last 3 listed on the bench were the outs (not always the case) to make the selected 22 numbers. That means that Logue, Crozier, Grey don't make the cut for Freo, and Cole, Nelson and Petrie are cut from West Coasts squad.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I would put Collins on Darling for similar size, strength and speed. Hamling on Kennedy, and MJ intercepting to help out on both (or take resting ruck - in which case Hughes is intercepting).

Yeah maybe.

I'd run Hodor through Darling before the game and he'll spend the rest of the day s******g himself.

I think Hamling on Kennedy isn't the right call. Assuming Hamling gets over his hip injury, I still think he hasn't the height to stop Kennedy overhead. Johnno helping out I'd go with but what we really need is Alex Pearce. Kennedy can take the game off us by himself and for all that I rate Hamling, I think he's not going to be able to shut Kennedy down.

We are left hoping that Kennedy isn't moving at his best

wayToGo_

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 24, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Why are so many tipping us for this game? We will be something like 3 years younger than them on average and probably half as experienced.

A win would be hilarious for the melts down the road but it also might shock their MC to finally realise they aren't serious premiership contenders and make them start playing the yoof. And who isn't enjoying their weekly complaining about picking exclusively from the retirement home each week?

A loss would make little difference to us, keep them playing the geriatrics and also keep any potential young talent rotting away at EP. Although we'd have lost the last ever derby at Domain which would be annoying.

I'm torn. I'd actually love a big win (to completely destroy their morale) but our forward line isn't capable of that. Maybe a close win or loss is best? I have a feeling we'll get done easily with Kennedy back but who knows which team will rock up for both sides come Sunday?

mattis117

Premium Platinum
Aug 20, 2010
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Manchester City
Why are so many tipping us for this game? We will be something like 3 years younger than them on average and probably half as experienced.

A win would be hilarious for the melts down the road but it also might shock their MC to finally realise they aren't serious premiership contenders and make them start playing the yoof. And who isn't enjoying their weekly complaining about picking exclusively from the retirement home each week?

A loss would make little difference to us, keep them playing the geriatrics and also keep any potential young talent rotting away at EP. Although we'd have lost the last ever derby at Domain which would be annoying.

I'm torn. I'd actually love a big win (to completely destroy their morale) but our forward line isn't capable of that. Maybe a close win or loss is best? I have a feeling we'll get done easily with Kennedy back but who knows which team will rock up for both sides come Sunday?
2.5 years younger, I calculated 3 posts before this one haha.

It's a Derby, we always want to win that one.

Nov 29, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Cockburn Doctors
Yeah maybe.

I'd run Hodor through Darling before the game and he'll spend the rest of the day s******g himself.

I think Hamling on Kennedy isn't the right call. Assuming Hamling gets over his hip injury, I still think he hasn't the height to stop Kennedy overhead. Johnno helping out I'd go with but what we really need is Alex Pearce. Kennedy can take the game off us by himself and for all that I rate Hamling, I think he's not going to be able to shut Kennedy down.

We are left hoping that Kennedy isn't moving at his best
I agree with the Hodor run through (haha) but pretty sure Apearce may be hopping around the field more than JK (maybe next year?). However, I don't expect a 30yo (next month) explosive leading and jumping tall forward coming off an extended break from a calf/achilles injury to be at the peak of his powers (i could be wrong though)

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Yep a rebuild for us and the open window for you lot and if we win it will be equal games won. Who is in the best position going forward again?;)

I'd argue that both clubs have major challenges. Ours is the midfield and our small forwards. Yours is your lack of quality talls.

I don't think we know who will be in the best position until those issues are addressed (or not).

Freo fans seem happy with their progress. You have got lots of good close wins. I can see the green shoots and can understand the optimism despite the poor %.

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
I agree with the Hodor run through (haha) but pretty sure Apearce may be hopping around the field more than JK (maybe next year?). However, I don't expect a 30yo (next month) explosive leading and jumping tall forward coming off an extended break from a calf/achilles injury to be at the peak of his powers (i could be wrong though)

I hope you're not.

He got 6 last game and McGovern got 17 intercept possessions. Theres the game right there....and I want to win this one

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd argue that both clubs have major challenges. Ours is the midfield and our small forwards. Yours is your lack of quality talls.

I don't think we know who will be in the best position until those issues are addressed (or not).

Freo fans seem happy with their progress. You have got lots of good close wins. I can see the green shoots and can understand the optimism despite the poor %.

Our percentage of 81.71% is a clear reflection of us not having a functioning forward line. We just don't kick enough goals.

However your percentage of 99.93% is a bigger concern due to the fact that you do have a functioning forward line and were up until last week inside the top 8.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Our percentage of 81.71% is a clear reflection of us not having a functioning forward line. We just don't kick enough goals.

However your percentage of 99.93% is a bigger concern due to the fact that you do have a functioning forward line and were up until last week inside the top 8.

Kennedy had been great.
LeCras has had a few good games but lots of s**t ones.
Hill has been down on form, as has Cripps.
Darling has been up and down.

I don't think we are functioning that well.

We desperately need Rioli to get fit. But he seems to just be getting fatter. Hopefully he can have a better injury run next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back