2nds 2017 - Peel Thunder

Remove this Banner Ad

Everyone is well aware that Taberner has the body and skill to do well at AFL level. His issue has never been about that, it's always been about what's going on between his ears. Just seems to struggle with concentration and desire to compete hard.

It's also very much been about getting a proper run at it. He's only played 5 of 15 games this year.

Work the Roberton thing out yourself.
Im pretty sure everyone got it. If you have more options forward of the football it is easier to find a target so a player like Roberton would look better because St Kilda have more players forward of the ball more often than Freo. Not complicated, but neither is it overly complicated to say Sutcliffe isnt the best kick, so if we need to improve our field kicking (which we obviously do) we need to recruit and play the players on our list who are better kicks, which was the point others were making.

BTW: Hard to get a read on how Tabs is going when he is manned by two players between 186cm -189cm. I still think he deserves a recall next week as you can only beat the man you are on.

Im pretty sure everyone got it. If you have more options forward of the football it is easier to find a target so a player like Roberton would look better because St Kilda have more players forward of the ball more often than Freo. Not complicated, but neither is overly complicated to say Sutcliffe isnt the best kick so if we need to improve our field kicking (which we obviously do) we need to recruit and play the players on our list who are better kicks, which was the point others were making.

Agree. I have always argued about recruiting better kicks. Funnily though Ethan Hughes has never looked a great kick but he's playing well, Blakely too.

I think Tab deserve a chance but let's not carried away by this performance. Compare to R1 wafl where barrass and Schofield plays this East Perth defense is not that strong. Nothing against Tab , just incase he play for freo and not firing the finger point at Ross game plan .
He can only play with what he has in front of him. Full credit he dominated his opposition, and nothing wrong with that.
It's pretty surprising how straight of a kick Tabs is, given his unusual run up/kicking for goal.

BTW: Hard to get a read on how Tabs is going when he is manned by two players between 186cm -189cm.

Kind of the point though isn't it?

Geelong played Zach Tuohy on Kersten. Exact same as what teams used to do to us when we played Mayne as our 2nd tall forward. Can't do that to Tabs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree. I have always argued about recruiting better kicks. Funnily though Ethan Hughes has never looked a great kick but he's playing well, Blakely too.
Blakely and Hughes have improved their kicking skills dramatically this season. Blakely has improved his kicking to the point I would say he is a very classy user of the football. His pace out of congestion is also pretty exceptional. Says something very impressive about his work ethic considering his pace and skills were considered weaknesses at the time of his drafting. The drafting of Blakely and Darcy is our recruiting teams best work since Fyfe by a long way. Really hope next draft our recruiting team (at the time of calling out a draft selection) gives each other a high five and looks super excited about a player most recruiters think should go much later in the draft. Even more excited if that player plays a key forward role and is considered super explosive for a player a bit overweight.

Last edited:

Geelong played Zach Tuohy on Kersten. Exact same as what teams used to do to us when we played Mayne as our 2nd tall forward. Can't do that to Tabs.
They can sent Harry Taylor to tab.

Blakely and Hughes have improved their kicking skills dramatically this season. Blakely has improved his kicking to the point I would say he is a very classy user of the football. His pace out of congestion is always pretty exceptional. Says something very impressive about his work ethic considering his pace and skills were considered weaknesses at the time of his drafting. The drafting of Blakely and Darcy our recruiting teams best work since Fyfe by a long way. Really hope next draft our recruiting team gives each other a high five and looks super excited about a player most recruiters think should go much later in the draft. Even more excited if that player plays a key forward role and is considered super explosive for a player a bit overweight.

I think Brennan Cox will be better than all of them.

Not the point really as every afl team plays at least two defenders over 193cm every week that would man him. That is Tabs problem. At WAFL level he has played some good games against players where he has a height advantage on a fairly consistent basis. Against AFL tall defenders he doesnt have the accelaration or enough of a height advantage to regularly have good games. Like how Chris Masten is too fit for most mids at WAFL level, but at AFL level his fitness advantage is less so his kicks are often under pressure and he doesnt look the same player. That said, Taberner's kicking for goal is super impressive in recent weeks and I hope he gets the chance to prove himself at AFL level soon.

Last edited:
Not the point really as every afl team plays at least two defenders over 193cm every week that would man him. That is Tabs problem.

So when he plays, one of them actually has to man him, rather than playing as the spare. Which is very important.

If Tabs was playing tomorrow they'd have to play McGovern on him. He's not playing so McGovern will not have an opponent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back