The Rebuild

Remove this Banner Ad

With his 3 career goals. All have been set shots, All after taking either a contested mark or a mark on the lead

I think you are missing the point that he has barely touched the ball at AFL level. So to say he's "shown something" as a forward is a bit off. He's shown that he can stand in the goal square and provide a marking contest but at this stage that's pretty much it.

With his 3 career goals. All have been set shots, All after taking either a contested mark or a mark on the lead

?

Is that supporting Apeness? 3 goals in 6/7 AFL games?

Don't get me wrong. I want to believe he can make a difference and certainly deserves an opportunity if he can get a run of games together BUT it's not as if he was clunking them and booting bags and what a loss. He barely tore a WAFL game apart.

Sadly agree that you can't really include Apeness in any plans for the future until he can demonstrate that he can stay fit for more than half a season. I have serious doubts. At this stage if he does come good it will be a bonus for us, not something that should be expected.

Apeness is a big man who hasn't had a solid run at it yet, he is still all potential.

Obviously he isn't a guarenteed gun like A.Pearce but hes definitely still a chance to be good
I will relegated him to rookie like morabinto . Next year will be his last chance .

Not at all sure about the first one but the second PCL was the ruckman's curse:an impact PCL injury.
Knee wrenched backward from the shin in a ruck contest.
Doesn't indicate structural weakness and full rehab likely, so there's a chance.
PCL Injury – A ruckman's curse (less than definitive source but broad brush OK).
If he ever gets a run at it Apeness contests anything around the square and beyond.At least halves 90% of contests.
Competitive beast,rucks,kicks straight and you don't want to hang onto the pill and let him catchya coming out of the backline.
So once again if he can get on the park, recruiting gets a tick.
Our injury list has some talented tall timber on it.
If we get to see them all the timberwork and plumbing's well on the way.

I've seen enough in his 6 AFL games I'd prefer to get games into him over what I've seen of Tabs 50 games.
The guy can't even play a proper peel reserve game and injured himself . The body just not right .You can only support a player to a certain extend.

The guy can't even play a proper peel reserve game and injured himself . The body just not right .You can only support a player to a certain extend.
I remember Andrew Browne, we keep him on the list for too long and then he took us to court.

If Apeness, can't get on the park next year, then it's best to part ways or give him a chance on the rookie list.

Personally I would give Taberner a low cost 2 years. He still developing. We're stuck for size and it may work out. Need some more games this season too.

Apeness, 1 year rookie list, see how he goes.

7 games left of the season, can any of our boys pick up a rising star nom before the season is done.

Sean Darcy has only played 3 games this season so even if he plays all remaining games he will still be eligible next year. Cox however has played 4 and Luke Ryan 5 so if they want to get a nomination they'll need to get one this season as they will have played too many games to be eligible next year*.

*unless they get dropped for a game or two this year.

We have seen plenty of times this year that consistency over a span of games is one of the bigger factors in who gets a nom. Darcy has shown a great level of consistency already over his 3 games. Just needs to have an above average game now to get the nod me thinks. Some average rucks coming up over the next fortnight where he'll have a good chance of winning his position. (Vardy, McEvoy) The commentators quite like Darcy as well and talk him up which won't hurt his chances.

With Nyhuis' breakout debut it probably wouldn't take many more good games to get the nod. But hard to back up to that sort of performance so might go against him as well.

Cox playing as a forward means for him to get the nod he will likely have to have a 3+ goal game which will be difficult. His contested marking helps because that's a stat that rates quite highly in the AFL media circles.

Ryan has built on every game he has played so far, will need to have a breakout game though with plenty of big stats (Metres gained, rebounds, interceptz, 1%ers.)

It was a bit of a highlight last year both Weller and Blakely getting some recognition. Hopefully 1 or 2 of of kids can do us proud this year as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

?

Is that supporting Apeness? 3 goals in 6/7 AFL games?

Don't get me wrong. I want to believe he can make a difference and certainly deserves an opportunity if he can get a run of games together BUT it's not as if he was clunking them and booting bags and what a loss. He barely tore a WAFL game apart.

In his first year for peel he had a number of games where he kicked four or five goals - not IMO tearing it apart but definitely clunking marks and kicking goals. Unfortunately I think that was his best footy; he has been thereabouts been injured since then.

Okay so I know I'm the original Sutcliffe hater - although with Blakely being a versatile player and enjoying his time down back, where does that leave Sutcliffe? Blakely has proven to do what Sutcliffe has failed to deliver in the defense even once throughout most of his games since being moved down there permanently. Hamling, Hughes, Logue and Ryan are tracking nicely. Nyhuis to be tried predominantly down there this weekend. Weller and Blakely provide run and rebound. We still have APearce to come in, Cox could swing back soon. So I don't see how Sutcliffe plays before them and he won't be the type to be able to replace Johnson or Spurr in the future for a leadership type player.

I'm a bit more realistic and open to ideas if it suits the playing list - do we trial and use Sutcliffes' skills elsewhere? But the thing is I don't see how he can get into the midfield and half-forward flank. Does he stay on the list purely as an injury back up / depth for defense?

I want to see how he goes as a Mid / Forward - but feels like him, Crozier and Sheridan could all be competing for the same spot in the B22 soon. I think with what we're bringing in there's no universe where they all play together again.

In his first year for peel he had a number of games where he kicked four or five goals - not IMO tearing it apart but definitely clunking marks and kicking goals. Unfortunately I think that was his best footy; he has been thereabouts been injured since then.

Yet when I bother to check he had exactly ZERO games where he kicked 4 or 5 games in his first season.
His best was 5 goals in 2016 and in fact he has never even kicked 4 goals in a game EVER at WAFL level.

So what was numerous 4 or 5 goal games in his first year actually turns out be be ONE GAME in his WAFL career where he kicked 5 goals and in 2016. Plus I seem to recall that game because he went on a tear and kicked all 5 in a quarter or something like that. I might be completely wrong, but it's what I recall.

If we want to really break it down he's in fact only kicked 3 goals in a game twice.

So one game of 5 goals NONE of 4 goals and 3 goals twice! In 4 years at WAFL with 30 total games to his name.

Those are the facts buddy.

where does that leave Sutcliffe?
Hmmm. Solid depth.

The question is what's best for the club. Give him 2 yrs on minimum dollars, let him dominate the WAFL and use him if injuries strike. He knows Ross' gameplan and has a solid fitness base. He was actually good in 2014 before he slowly went into his shell (imo).

Or would it be best to trade him for a 3rd-4th rounder so we can draft a kid on even less money in hope they can develop into a better player.

People just need to get over it , apeness show some talent but the amount of injuries and limited pre season he had with freo , I rather rookie John frampton or upgrade stranadica than continue with him .

People just need to get over it , apeness show some talent but the amount of injuries and limited pre season he had with freo , I rather rookie John frampton or upgrade stranadica than continue with him .
Have to agree, especially due to the fact that we need a ruck/forward, and will probably never be able
to ruck with his injury concerns.
Its the same with Clark, would rather get others in that don't have chronic knee injuries.

Real shame. He was really our next ideal stay at home key forward. Been dying to see him string together some games but his body just isn't for Aussie Rules.

Hmmm. Solid depth.

The question is what's best for the club. Give him 2 yrs on minimum dollars, let him dominate the WAFL and use him if injuries strike. He knows Ross' gameplan and has a solid fitness base. He was actually good in 2014 before he slowly went into his shell (imo).

Or would it be best to trade him for a 3rd-4th rounder so we can draft a kid on even less money in hope they can develop into a better player.

The best we would get for him in a trade is a 3rd Rounder if we're lucky. Feels like it's a bit late to see if we can trial him as a Forward Mid, although next year I think he will get the opportunity to do so if he comes in and puts in a performance to hold his spot. That's probably his last chance of a long-term playing future here.

I was a massive Sutcliffe fan and likened him to move a bit like Leigh Montagna early in his career but the AFL is passing him by very quickly. He was lost his competitiveness in contests, goes to ground far too easily and has lost his confidence kicking the ball. He started out being a great kick and a great mover. He lived with Fyfe so it's really come as a surprise how his career, after looking so promising, has spiraled downwards. Either way, he will have to show significant improvement over the next 12 months to be retained on the list. It's incredible how much better a 3rd year player in Blakely has looked in a similar role.

I was a massive Sutcliffe fan and likened him to move a bit like Leigh Montagna early in his career but the AFL is passing him by very quickly. He was lost his competitiveness in contests, goes to ground far too easily and has lost his confidence kicking the ball. He started out being a great kick and a great mover. He lived with Fyfe so it's really come as a surprise how his career, after looking so promising, has spiraled downwards. Either way, he will have to show significant improvement over the next 12 months to be retained on the list. It's incredible how much better a 3rd year player in Blakely has looked in a similar role.

I think he'd be more effective offensively than defensively, proactive rather than reactive. More of a midfielder than a defender
1. See ball (as opposed to watch player)
2. Go get ball (as opposed to reacting to the other player trying to get the ball)
3. Go for a run down the wing into space before passing (instead of find a quick option for disposal so you don't lose the man you're on)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back