Preview 2017 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Kreuger is probably the most well rounded of those few for mine.. good hands and moves really well, makes good decisions generally. Would need to put on a stack of weight though.. Dixon for me is a fwd version of Darcy, fair bit of puppy fat but you can see he's a natural footballer and is a dead eye dick in front of the sticks. Kreuger plays further up the ground from what I've seen but thats probably more due to the other SA options
Knowing Freo recruiters always pick someone random, will have us all looking up their bio.
De koning maybe the one this year? Kicked 9 in a Tac game before, Fyfe kicked 8 in a colts game.

Made my last pick in the BF draft...

#78 Jordan Johnston (184cm, 76kg forward from Vic Country)

There weren't any talls I thought of as being good value, and those who I did like were generally key defenders or not quite KPP size at AFL level. If we kept going into a rookie draft, I'd probably look at taking a project tall. But this pick was purely best available, and fit what I think is a need. It was a well received pick based on getting good value - I have him inside the top 50.

He's a natural forward, quick around goals and strong above his head. Has kicked 17.10 in 11 TAC Cup matches this year. Averaging around about 12 touches, 6 marks and 5 tackles a game. He doesn't need a lot of it to have an impact. I basically take the view that we should continue to add pieces to the forward line, for when we do get that #1 KPF. With him and Hardman, I'd be adding actual forwards to our list - instead of trying to fit midfielders like Tucker, DeLuca and Balic into the forward line.

Made my last pick in the BF draft...

#78 Jordan Johnston (184cm, 76kg forward from Vic Country)

There weren't any talls I thought of as being good value, and those who I did like were generally key defenders or not quite KPP size at AFL level. If we kept going into a rookie draft, I'd probably look at taking a project tall. But this pick was purely best available, and fit what I think is a need. It was a well received pick based on getting good value - I have him inside the top 50.

He's a natural forward, quick around goals and strong above his head. Has kicked 17.10 in 11 TAC Cup matches this year. Averaging around about 12 touches, 6 marks and 5 tackles a game. He doesn't need a lot of it to have an impact. I basically take the view that we should continue to add pieces to the forward line, for when we do get that #1 KPF. With him and Hardman, I'd be adding actual forwards to our list - instead of trying to fit midfielders like Tucker, DeLuca and Balic into the forward line.
The other JJ:thumbsu:

Geez that's a blow. So few KPP in the top 20 as it is.

A little surprising. Generally the kids have tended to choose AFL over cricket in recent years.
There have been a few - mitch marsh automatically springs to mind. Anyway, Sutherlands father is CEO of Cricket Australia, so not a big surprise. Cricket also offers big money and a chance to tour the world and Sutherland has already been a standout in underage cricket for Australia.

For those interested in checking out Dillon O'Reilly (193cm KPF 17yo East Freo colts) who looks a likely early prospect for next year's draft... Skip to ~1m28s.

Yes he does. Plays in front, marks above his head, good below his knees. Such a shame Mr Stephen O'Reilly didn't play those two extra games or we could have two top ten picks for the price of a bunch of seconds and thirds.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he does. Plays in front, marks above his head, good below his knees. Such a shame Mr Stephen O'Reilly didn't play those two extra games or we could have two top ten picks for the price of a bunch of seconds and thirds.
Yes it is a bit annoying. Imagine with our 1st round pick we grab Ian Hill, then match a bid on O'Reilly using our 2nd (with f/s discount) and then match a bid on Carter with our 3rd (academy discount). You couldn't give us just two more games Stephen?

Yes it is a bit annoying. Imagine with our 1st round pick we grab Ian Hill, then match a bid on O'Reilly using our 2nd (with f/s discount) and then match a bid on Carter with our 3rd (academy discount). You couldn't give us just two more games Stephen?
What about listing him as a category B rookie, hasn't played any level for three years, and then play two games next season with 21 as Stephen 'twangs hammy' in the first moment like the Harley rules.

100 games, his son is drafted at the end of the year, Freo get a big fine, rules get changed but we get what we wanted.

Round 20, 1999. Brisbane v Freo @ Gabba.

Brisbane 28.13 (181) d Freo 9.13 (67).

At the time: Brisbane's highest ever score and their greatest winning margin and Freo's biggest ever loss.

Remains: The highest ever score conceded by Freo.

Stephen O'Reilly was injured early in the game, missed rounds 21 and 22. Never played for Freo again. Finished with 98 Freo games.

Round 20, 1999. Brisbane v Freo @ Gabba.

Brisbane 28.13 (181) d Freo 9.13 (67).

At the time: Brisbane's highest ever score and their greatest winning margin and Freo's biggest ever loss.

Remains: The highest ever score conceded by Freo.

Stephen O'Reilly was injured early in the game, missed rounds 21 and 22. Never played for Freo again. Finished with 98 Freo games.

How many did he go on to add to his game tally after we shipped him off?

It was probably still worth trading him to destroy Carlton for the better part of two decades.

Worst trade ever?

That's easy. Pick 16 and 46 for Stephen O'Reilly who played 12 games for you. AND you had to pay him illegally outside the cap. AND he blew the whistle on you. AND you had to pay a fine. AND you got kicked out of the draft and had to recruit hacks. AND it meant that your mulit-million investment in Denis Pagan was a waste because he had no players.

Stephen O'Reilly for - Pick 16, pick 46, $1m fine, pick 1, 2, 17 and 33 in the 2003 draft, pick 1 in the 2003 PSD, 1st and 2nd round picks in the 2004 draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back