Have we just witnessed the quickest rebuild in AFL history?

Will Hawthorn make the 8 next year?

• Yes

Votes: 281 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 469 62.5%

• Total voters
Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Hawthorn. Clarkson is just an unbelievable coach and may very well become the greatest coach in AFL history. In round 11, they scored three behinds to Ports 9 goals at half time. They were insipid. In round 12 they lost to the Gold Coast. Hawthorn then had the bye, returned and defeated Adelaide...in Adelaide, belted the Pies when their coaches career and season was on the line, drew with the Giants and lost to Geelong by a couple of points. All this in a year where two of their best and oldest players were traded away and their list has had a shake up. Hawthorn may actually contend next year and it's unbelievable to say, when guys like Robbo (yeah I know Robby) were explaining it was the end of an era! Overall, what are your thoughts and from my perspective, kudos to Clarkson (if you're Collingwood you've gotta ******* throw everything at this man surely).

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Why is everyone so glowingly praising Hawthorn's little run of wins against a couple of the top teams? Their overall season has been terrible. They're in the bottom 6. Did many people predict them to fall that far in 2017? I know I for one had them playing finals; they've been worse than I expected.

They've only just started their rebuild. 34-year-old Burgoyne is still their 2nd best player. They're in for a few years in the doldrums as they start trying to reform their list. Hitting this year's draft without a first round pick isn't a great start.

Last edited:

Bokonon_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 23, 2016
AFL Club
GWS
Hawthorn. Clarkson is just an unbelievable coach and may very well become the greatest coach in AFL history. In round 11, they scored three behinds to Ports 9 goals at half time. They were insipid. In round 12 they lost to the Gold Coast. Hawthorn then had the bye, returned and defeated Adelaide...in Adelaide, belted the Pies when their coaches career and season was on the line, drew with the Giants and lost to Geelong by a couple of points. All this in a year where two of their best and oldest players were traded away and their list has had a shake up. Hawthorn may actually contend next year and it's unbelievable to say, when guys like Robbo (yeah I know Robby) were explaining it was the end of an era! Overall, what are your thoughts and from my perspective, kudos to Clarkson (if you're Collingwood you've gotta ******* throw everything at this man surely).
I cant see him going though. The turnaround has been incredible, not really a rebuild though. It would be an almost unique position to fall so far after such a long time on top. Hawks aren't a club I would generally think of as lacking desire to win, but there must be some challenges for the coach and the experienced players to get themselves up every year in the circumstances.
Seems from what little I know is its coming from the younger guys, who want their time on top. I do think their youth has been seriously underestimated, I guess we all knew they have a great club system, led by Clarkson.

Wow look at all the hate from geelong supporters. You can smell the fear over the keyboard.
How could their rebuild have been successful when so far it has consisted of signing a VFL player (Vickery) and a guy with a busted knee who never plays?

Cold Sober

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Man U .White Sox;Storm,Victory
I hope in their rebuild they build a house of straw so their supporters can blow it down with the hot air and crap they come out with. Check out peptides thread, gives you an insight into what needs to be rebuilt.

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
Wow look at Richmond not beating Geelong in 11 years. You can just tell they're natural born losers.
If you wanna bring Richmond into it because you're a troll, let's talk about the 10 premierships we've won compared to your 9. 10 is more than 9 (I feel like I need to make that clear) and we've been shithouse since Thriller was released. Goes to show how s**t Geelong had been for 120 years.

They haven't really started their rebuild yet

B: Hardwick (14 games), Brand (26 games) Langford (60 games)
HB: Burton (19 games), Heatherley (5 games), Sicily (38 games)

Howe 27 games
Stewart 7 games
O'Brien 28 games
Hartung 57 games

Nah, not a rebuild. Those players are playing games for fun. :drunk:

Deep

Genius on Drugs
Jun 16, 2017
Waterfall Gully
AFL Club
Geelong
If you wanna bring Richmond into it because you're a troll, let's talk about the 10 premierships we've won compared to your 9. 10 is more than 9 (I feel like I need to make that clear) and we've been shithouse since Thriller was released. Goes to show how s**t Geelong had been for 120 years.
16 premierships actually buddy. Just because the AFL doesn't appreciate them doesn't mean they're not there :thumbsu:

I'll give you a little preview of how unsuccessful your club truly is. Since your last finals win we've played in 25% of grand finals.

Back