HB: Weller Johnson Blakey

C: Hill Fyfe Hill

HF: Mundy Cox Walters

F: McCarthy Taberner Ballanytne

Darcy
Neale
Suban
Logue, Tucker, Nyhuis, Crozier

To be honest they aren't that far away. need to clean up kicks inside 50 & goalkicking..
Think have to stick with Taberner from now on till the end of the year

Getting rid of Spurr and MJ is a terrible idea. Hamling would be the "experience" in the backline with 30 games.

One of them has to play on next year and at this stage I would prefer MJ. They both look slow but at least Johnno is doing most of the rest well. Spurr is having trouble impacting. I am a big Spurr fan too, but the last month or so he has been struggling defensively which was the part that made his kicking passable.

That said, I have no real problem playing them both. I know they aren't super effective but we are trying to develop the youngsters not win the flag. Better having them there to teach for a while yet.
4 weeks? Spurr has been a horrible (and slow) decision maker and questionable kick for 18 months. Doesn't stop him being an automatic selection though. Sutcliffe had to sink to truly execrable levels before he wasn't a first choice defender too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

4 weeks? Spurr has been a horrible (and slow) decision maker and questionable kick for 18 months. Doesn't stop him being an automatic selection though. Sutcliffe had to sink to truly execrable levels before he wasn't a first choice defender too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Disagree with that, and that's ok. I think he was still doing a lot of the good Spurr things earlier this year (definitely last year).

I can live with him being dropped because new shiny players are more fun. I am also happy if the coaches think the younger players need direction.

Absolutely. As I said before he wasn't that bad. Just the whipping boy for you lot.

In saying that he needs support from tabs.
Agree with this. Kersten and Crozier (Ballas as well now) are the whipping boys since Sutty got dropped (and before that for some).

I think we need to be more patient with the whole front half. I actually thought Crozier was quite good considering (missed pass to Neale aside) and Kersten kicked a goal - which was a big ****ing deal today.

Tabs needs to come in though. Can't kick 11 goals in two games and not get a sniff in this forward line. If he doesn't I think we can put a line through him at the Dockers.

Agree with this. Kersten and Crozier (Ballas as well now) are the whipping boys since Sutty got dropped (and before that for some).

I think we need to be more patient with the whole front half. I actually thought Crozier was quite good considering (missed pass to Neale aside) and Kersten kicked a goal - which was a big ****ing deal today.

Tabs needs to come in though. Can't kick 11 goals in two games and not get a sniff in this forward line. If he doesn't I think we can put a line through him at the Dockers.
Why not ? Grey is the bad kick whipping boy , Tab is the drop mark whipping boy , don't see why Kersten and croz can escape from this ,where both Tab and grey are dropped .

Last edited:
Why not ? Grey is the bad kick whipping boy , Tab is the drop mark whipping boy , don't see why Kersten and croz escape from this .when both Tab and grey are dropped .
Grey has the same role as Crozier and does it worse. Seriously look up the stats if you don't believe me.

Agree Tabs gets treated a little harsh. I suspect their is something they don't like about Tabs - whether right or wrong I don't know.

I also think it is worth mentioning that IMO Croz and Kersten have more talent than Grey and Tabs. It is the same reason why Logue is getting a game and Collins isn't I reckon.

Grey has the same role as Crozier and does it worse. Seriously look up the stats if you don't believe me.

Agree Tabs gets treated a little harsh. I suspect their is something they don't like about Tabs - whether right or wrong I don't know.

I also think it is worth mentioning that IMO Croz and Kersten have more talent than Grey and Tabs. It is the same reason why Logue is getting a game and Collins isn't I reckon.
If base on purely talent and youth alone Gu and deboer won't get a game with GWS .

If base on purely talent and youth alone Gu and deboer won't get a game with GWS .
100% completely different situation. They are both only getting games because they are challenging and their list is decimated with injuries. Totally irrelevant comparison.

I also never said talent is the only thing. I rate Grey's attack and was happy to see him get a gig. He still has to perform. Hopefully he goes back to Peel and earns another recall. If he is capable, he will get there because he works his ass off.

100% completely different situation. They are both only getting games because they are challenging and their list is decimated with injuries. Totally irrelevant comparison.

I also never said talent is the only thing. I rate Grey's attack and was happy to see him get a gig. He still has to perform. Hopefully he goes back to Peel and earns another recall. If he is capable, he will get there because he works his ass off.
I had no problem with grey playing wafl at all , as his form had not been good recently ,but to said croz and Kersten as the new whipping boy is the part I disagree with . If they play badly they deserve the same criticism as other like sutty,sheriden,suban and grey .

Getting rid of Spurr and MJ is a terrible idea. Hamling would be the "experience" in the backline with 30 games.

One of them has to play on next year and at this stage I would prefer MJ. They both look slow but at least Johnno is doing most of the rest well. Spurr is having trouble impacting. I am a big Spurr fan too, but the last month or so he has been struggling defensively which was the part that made his kicking passable.

That said, I have no real problem playing them both. I know they aren't super effective but we are trying to develop the youngsters not win the flag. Better having them there to teach for a while yet.
It's a rebuild peanut.

Having a higher number in the games played column doesn't mean you're good enough to be in the team moving forward.

They're both clearly not part of the future, while arguably dragging us down at present.

They're on the edge of the 22 now and would be out of it with a fully fit list. They're only going to drop further and further down that list.

The whole "keep Spurr for his experience" rationale is something I don't get.

What exactly is he going to teach? Sure he gives good effort, but he has so many bad habits that I don't see what benefit the youngsters get from his presence. Didn't miss him at all last week.

He's been a loyal servant and tried his heart out. But now it is time for the WAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Concerned that we might burn out the youngsters if we're not careful.

Darcy, Cox, Logue and Ballas out.

Griff, Tabs, Sutty and Deluca in.

Unfortunately Spurr will keep getting picked and McCarthy should come back through the two's.

Concerned that we might burn out the youngsters if we're not careful.

Darcy, Cox, Logue and Ballas out.

Griff, Tabs, Sutty and Deluca in.

Unfortunately Spurr will keep getting picked and McCarthy should come back through the two's.
Don't mind sutty but not in the backline . Maybe HF.

I'd put Spurr forward. For a couple of reasons, he can take a mark and is physically quite strong for his size. He'd ragdoll some of the weaker small
Defenders. Reasonable leap too.

The other reason, is to see how he compares athletically to players who play his position. If he is completely off the pace, left behind in every contest, it makes the decision easier.

Lastly, it opens up the spots for the young defenders where we seem to have a glut of players.

The delivery forwards awful - yes. But a large part of that is the forwards wanting 50+ m bombs over the top of defenders only 5/6m in front of them. They're tough kicks... our Forwards need to know when to stop and turn back at the ball. (Not like we have a huge number of them though)
For mine the lineup should be something like
FB - Nyhuis, Hamling, Hughes
HB - Blakely, Johnson, Ryan
C - Weller, Neale, S.Hill
HF - B.Hill, Cox, Tucker
FF - McCarthy, Tabs, Walters
FOL - Darcy, Mundy, Fyfe
INT - Crozier, DeLuca, Suban, Ballas

Would be:
Outs - Spurr, Logue, Kersten (Suban/Ballas close by)
Ins - Deluca, McCarthy, Tabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back