Opinion Changes vs Hawks OUT: Ryan Cox IN: Deluca McCarthy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to reward form for those who play well in the WAFL, plus give more experience to Tabs and Collins to see if they can make it.

In: Taberner, Collins, Sutcliffe (fwd role)

Out: Kersten, Ballantyne, Spurr

Play Johnson as a fwd/ruck to give Collins and Hamling games together, put Nyhuis back too.

Yep, probably, but forward pressure is about 12th on my list of concerns for this side.

They'd have to mark everything that came their way. Just bringing it to ground with that group at ground level would be a win for the opposition. Rebound inside 50m and scoring shot fore the opposition, too easy.

No love for Grey from anybody? You lot disgust me. All of you!

Out: Suban, Logue
In: Grey, McCarthy or Collins

Loved RTBs comments about Tabs not actually playing good footy. Sure he kicked 5 on the weekend, but he lacked any physical presence and was manned up on defenders that were about 6 inches shorter than him a lot of the time. His lack of intensity is what costs him at AFL level.

Logue looked out of his weight division today. Wouldn't mind persisting with him but think he could use a WAFL spell to get some form and confidence back. Wanted Suban dropped 3 weeks ago - highly doubt he will be dropped this week, but can only hope.

Grey should be a certain in. The Peel game was very uninspiring, so it's hard to pick anyone who deserves to be elevated.

Loved RTBs comments about Tabs not actually playing good footy. Sure he kicked 5 on the weekend, but he lacked any physical presence and was manned up on defenders that were about 6 inches shorter than him a lot of the time. His lack of intensity is what costs him at AFL level.

Logue looked out of his weight division today. Wouldn't mind persisting with him but think he could use a WAFL spell to get some form and confidence back. Wanted Suban dropped 3 weeks ago - highly doubt he will be dropped this week, but can only hope.

Grey should be a certain in. The Peel game was very uninspiring, so it's hard to pick anyone who deserves to be elevated.
Grey not really in good form , play a few wafl will be good for him .

In: Taberner, Mcarthy, Deluca
Out: Kersten, Ballantyne,

I suppose he was also s**t the week before when he kicked 6?

Kersten couldn't even get a kick at WAFL level.

Ross didn't actually say he wasn't playing good footy. Only an idiot would say that about a bloke who's had 50 possessions, taken 25 marks and kicked 11 straight in the last 2 weeks. He said "there are other things to consider". That could mean pretty much anything. Including things unrelated to on-field performance.

You can only play against the opponent that's on you. You say Grey should be a certain in but don't think Tabs should be in? After the s**t we just dished up, you want another small forward with average kicking in over a tall forward who at worse brings the ball to ground?

You can only play against the opponent that's on you. You say Grey should be a certain in but don't think Tabs should be in? After the s**t we just dished up, you want another small forward with average kicking in over a tall forward who at worse brings the ball to ground?
Grey average kick is still better than your best kick . Grey not playing today yet there are a lot of average kicker our there.

Grey isn't the answer moving forward, he's not a goal scorer and has average-at-best skills. Love his effort and willingness to impact but I don't think he is the solution.
I think you need grey and deluca type in a team , especially when b.hill and s.hill are off radar with their kicking . The team all become quite soft with their pressure act. Cats move dangerfield to forward after his injury but menegola and other still need to work out a way in midfield for danger to mark the ball in the forward line.

In: Taberner, Mcarthy, Deluca
Out: Kersten, Ballantyne,

I suppose he was also s**t the week before when he kicked 6?

Kersten couldn't even get a kick at WAFL level.

Ross didn't actually say he wasn't playing good footy. Only an idiot would say that about a bloke who's had 50 possessions, taken 25 marks and kicked 11 straight in the last 2 weeks. He said "there are other things to consider". That could mean pretty much anything. Including things unrelated to on-field performance.
"Matt Taberner has had two really big weeks in the WAFL, do you have a look at him again?
Well that’s where it’s all debatable. I was there yesterday and what you think are big weeks and what I think are big weeks are often different. But again I will discuss that with our development team. If you just go on raw numbers, goals kicked then you would say they were big weeks but there’s a lot of other things to come into play. Matt is growing, he is a fierce preparer. We will have a look at it though."

I guess you like looking at stats, whilst I prefer to watch them live before making a judgement. Perhaps my words weren't wisely chosen, but there seems to be a massive wave of "we must play tabs at all costs" going on - but watching him live he hasn't necessarily improved in many areas. If all the match committee wanted him to do was kick more goals, sure, bring him in. But for mine, he's got plenty to work on. Bring him back too early and he'll lose confidence if beaten at AFL and the last two weeks at WAFL will mean nothing. Let him keep building and improving in WAFL for me. If that makes me an idiot - so be it.

Particularly with the set shots at goal, there is stuff all difference between doing it at WAFL and AFL. Maybe the man on the mark is taller and different weather conditions on the day is all. 11 straight goals in 2 games is not an insignificant feat for any level in footy.

I'd take a 'not seeing the whole picture' Taberner with his 11 straight goals in the last 2 weeks over a 'growing and launching' Kersten.

I'm not against playing them both. Their best games are when they played together.

Taberner really has had his cards marked and an under performing Kersten and 18 year old Cox shouldn't be keeping him out of the line up.

Taberner's 4 goal 7 contested marks game was in the best 3 games played for Freo this year. Walters 6 would be in the top 3 if not the best. For mine the 2 stand out individual performances of the year.

Taberner is 24 for crying out loud. He should technically still show inconsistencies and only just be starting to launch his career, but he was thrown in as a rookie due to a needs basis and now we're critical of him.

I'm sticking with him. He has what it takes and can be an impact player for Fremantle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess you like looking at stats, whilst I prefer to watch them live before making a judgement. Perhaps my words weren't wisely chosen, but there seems to be a massive wave of "we must play tabs at all costs" going on - but watching him live he hasn't necessarily improved in many areas. If all the match committee wanted him to do was kick more goals, sure, bring him in. But for mine, he's got plenty to work on. Bring him back too early and he'll lose confidence if beaten at AFL and the last two weeks at WAFL will mean nothing. Let him keep building and improving in WAFL for me. If that makes me an idiot - so be it.

He's been playing WAFL for 4 years mate. At the moment the only thing ruining his confidence is the fact that he gets dropped every time we get smashed in the midfield because he's Lyon's scapegoat.

So many times today we had multiple small forwards free inside 50 and just either totally shanked the kick in, or tried to hit up Kersten or Cox even though they were outnumbered. Bringing Tabs in could just bring back the "bomb it long to Pav/Tabs" deliveries. Our mids seriously need to assess all options before just kicking to a "tall". Hawks have some pretty dangerous half backs, would rather Grey over Tabs this week.

What I would like to see:

Out: Logue (needs Peel time), Ballantyne, Suban, Kerste

In: Collins, Taberner, De Luca, Cam Mac

I seriously wonder who will get dropped though? Kersten and Suban seem to be back in favour and they weren't our best. Crozier and Spurr etc have been uncullable.

Based on RTB's presser he can't wait to get Sutcliffe back in - and probably keep guys like Taberner and Deluca at bay... how much you want to bet Sheridan walks straight into the team when he recovers as well?

But what are changes without forward structure? It's all much of a muchness really.

So many times today we had multiple small forwards free inside 50 and just either totally shanked the kick in, or tried to hit up Kersten or Cox even though they were outnumbered. Bringing Tabs in could just bring back the "bomb it long to Pav/Tabs" deliveries. Our mids seriously need to assess all options before just kicking to a "tall". Hawks have some pretty dangerous half backs, would rather Grey over Tabs this week.
You make an excellent point :thumbsu:
I still want Tabs in, but I do see where you're coming from.

He's been playing WAFL for 4 years mate. At the moment the only thing ruining his confidence is the fact that he gets dropped every time we get smashed in the midfield because he's Lyon's scapegoat.
His 5 goal effort was the equivalent of a Tommy Gun/ Sutcliffe 35 disposal effort at WAFL level. Looks good on the sheet but you know there were a lot of soft easy touches/goals that just would not be available at AFL.

Our midfield seem incapable of hitting forwards at the moment. Doesn't matter if Tabs or Kersten or McCarthy or Cox or Fyfe line up down forward - they'll all get burned by the entry. Tabs offers next to nothing when it comes to ground

His 5 goal effort was the equivalent of a Tommy Gun/ Sutcliffe 35 disposal effort at WAFL level. Looks good on the sheet but you know there were a lot of soft easy touches/goals that just would not be available at AFL.

Kicking 6 goals at WAFL level is so easy that it's only ever happened 1 other time since Fremantle and Peel have been aligned.

I'd take a 'not seeing the whole picture' Taberner with his 11 straight goals in the last 2 weeks over a 'growing and launching' Kersten.

I'm not against playing them both. Their best games are when they played together.

Taberner really has had his cards marked and an under performing Kersten and 18 year old Cox shouldn't be keeping him out of the line up.

Taberner's 4 goal 7 contested marks game was in the best 3 games played for Freo this year. Walters 6 would be in the top 3 if not the best. For mine the 2 stand out individual performances of the year.

Taberner is 24 for crying out loud. He should technically still show inconsistencies and only just be starting to launch his career, but he was thrown in as a rookie due to a needs basis and now we're critical of him.

I'm sticking with him. He has what it takes and can be an impact player for Fremantle.
He has shown he's good enough to make it. But you've gotta be critical of all players - they all have areas to work on. I get the feeling Ross' patience is running out for Tabs. His next call up could be for his career - I will be watching on with interest.

ps wish we would start signing some god damn contracts

It certainly won't be for his career. He's 23 and he's 6'6" and shown he's capable at AFL level. If Ross Lyon doesn't want him somebody else will.

Key forwards with 50 AFL games experience don't grow on trees and he's a certainty to be picked up if Fremantle delisted him.

Kicking 6 goals at WAFL level is so easy that it's only ever happened 1 other time since Fremantle and Peel have been aligned.
I didn't see that game - hence I only commented on the 5 goal game.

Here's a question - can you remember a game (WAFL or AFL) where he's played well in a losing team? Seems his good games only occur when the team is dominating the opposition. Brissy last year. Bombers this year. Last two WAFL games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back