Discussion Round 17, 2017 - Photos and Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I know it's a waste, but they really should for this reason.
If they are unused, either recycle the material or sell them at the end of the year, or even give them away to charities/homeless ect

OR just continue to do it the way they do now because 95% of people won't even notice/care. I mean, even in international soccer players wear long sleeve undershirts under their short sleeved kits, instead of wearing proper longies. This really isn't any different to that. I don't see it as a huge issue.

Yeah he's definitely wearing an Asics longsleeve underneath. You can see there's two red neck tabs in the collars.
True, I did see that.

Does anyone else think it's to honour the Jumper Presentation pre-game? He got a regular guernsey given to him, so he wore that on top of his longy?

OR just continue to do it the way they do now because 95% of people won't even notice/care. I mean, even in international soccer players wear long sleeve undershirts under their short sleeved kits, instead of wearing proper longies. This really isn't any different to that. I don't see it as a huge issue.
I just like the look of a well made long sleeve over the two jumpers

True, I did see that.

Does anyone else think it's to honour the Jumper Presentation pre-game? He got a regular guernsey given to him, so he wore that on top of his longy?
If you check out the Footscray VFL Instagram page you'll find photos of him wearing two jumpers, along with other players who have worn two as well.

I half wonder if the AFL only made one set of grey jumpers for the umps.
Well the field umpires get their number on the back. My guess is they have a stock of plain ones made up and then get the four appointed field umpires' numbers heat-pressed on during the week. It's just typical AFL fixing the the issue that was complained about but not extending it consistently and logically across all matches involving yellow/gold jumpers.

Well the field umpires get their number on the back. My guess is they have a stock of plain ones made up and then get the four appointed field umpires' numbers heat-pressed on during the week. It's just typical AFL fixing the the issue that was complained about but not extending it consistently and logically across all matches involving yellow/gold jumpers.
What I meant was only one set of 10 grey jumpers, not that I paid attention to whether it's the same 10 umpires who officiated all 3 games this year featuring grey umps (sure that Schmitt did tho). Anyway, yes, incredibly reactive. And smacks of cost cutting (remember back when umps had red, yellow, green and white?)

What I meant was only one set of 10 grey jumpers, not that I paid attention to whether it's the same 10 umpires who officiated all 3 games this year featuring grey umps (sure that Schmitt did tho). Anyway, yes, incredibly reactive. And smacks of cost cutting (remember back when umps had red, yellow, green and white?)
They thought they'd come across a winner with the lime-green, and they had until Richmond's yellow clash tops came along. One colour was good because it was perceived to attract less attention. However now we've got to a point where at least one other colour is needed.
In round 6 vs Adelaide it was Rosebury, Stephens, Hosking, Hundertmark
Round 15 vs Port it was Schmidt, Ryan, Mollison, Hundertmark
Round 16 vs St Kilda it was Schmidt, Ryan, Mollison, Fleer.

Unsurprisingly the goal umpires in the Port game didn't get grey rain-jackets, but then again they've been using the old BLK jackets up until a couple of weeks ago anyway.

They thought they'd come across a winner with the lime-green, and they had until Richmond's yellow clash tops came along. One colour was good because it was perceived to attract less attention. However now we've got to a point where at least one other colour is needed.
In round 6 vs Adelaide it was Rosebury, Stephens, Hosking, Hundertmark
Round 15 vs Port it was Schmidt, Ryan, Mollison, Hundertmark
Round 16 vs St Kilda it was Schmidt, Ryan, Mollison, Fleer.

Unsurprisingly the goal umpires in the Port game didn't get grey rain-jackets, but then again they've been using the old BLK jackets up until a couple of weeks ago anyway.
Beautiful work thanks for the info

The NRL had a smooth few years with pink ref jerseys. But no good for AFL (4 teams in red/orange hue + runners).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beautiful work thanks for the info

The NRL had a smooth few years with pink ref jerseys. But no good for AFL (4 teams in red/orange hue + runners).
I'm a fan of going grey for all matches except where GWS is in their home jumper, and then use the green for that because nobody wears their yellow/gold jumpers against GWS's home jumper anyway.

Why do the field umpires need numbers at all? All it does is piss off the fans because we now know the name of the prick that is being inconsistent.

I loved yesterday's derby matchup (peril wings + purple chevrons provided such an eye-catching contrast!)

I wore my Peril Wings (with a yellow top underneath to create a *faux longy* effect) with pride , amongst a sea of purple

The afl should take note , and instruct the teams involved in the other rivalries to provide better matchups

From the ground , I didn't have any issues differentiating the umpires from our players (but agree that light blue , pink or grey would've provided an even better contrast )

Why do the field umpires need numbers at all? All it does is piss off the fans because we now know the name of the prick that is being inconsistent.
I thought numbers were used on a footy ground for the pure reason of knowing who they are reporting and so the goal umpires can mark down goal kickers. Having the umpires with numbers is pointless, we don't do it for the boundary or goal umpires, why the field umpires?

This hasn't happened in donkeys. At least not at (semi-)professional level. We just keep the scores.
I should have said, the original intention of numbers on footy jumpers. But yes, that is true too. At least they keep the tradition of waving the flags after the siren...makes me think of the little message "scores correct" on the dot matrix old scoreboard at Footy Park.

I should have said, the original intention of numbers on footy jumpers. But yes, that is true too. At least they keep the tradition of waving the flags after the siren...makes me think of the little message "scores correct" on the dot matrix old scoreboard at Footy Park.
It's a good thing they do that still, after the first Showdown at AO the electronic scoreboard operator added a behind in the 4th from when the ball went through but a free was paid so it was never signalled or waved.

I'm a fan of going grey for all matches except where GWS is in their home jumper, and then use the green for that because nobody wears their yellow/gold jumpers against GWS's home jumper anyway.
Would like to see a better design though. The current one looks like a pre-game warmup shirt.

"Tradition" I guess? Like why we can't have names on jumpers? Or send-offs? Or Melbourne team jumper clashes ("we've done it for 125 years there's nothing wrong if you disagree you're blind waaah waaah")

Curtis Deboy likes this post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back