Guten Tag - Aussie in Tübingen

Remove this Banner Ad

May 27, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
I left the country to escape the ribbings that came with Essendon drug saga (among other reasons).
I'm finally courageous enough to sign up for an account on big footy.

Great win over the saints today!

Did you catch any local football in Deutchland ?
I've been to a local NFL game, which was surprisingly good, but yet to see any aussie rules. Though there is a team in Stuttgart thatI'll get around to visiting eventually
I was living in Boston previously, and did get out for a training session with the Boston Demons.

Seriously, if the AFL wasn't such a massive tight ass with charging ridiculous money for international broadcast - in particularly internet streaming by individuals (watch AFL is waay too pricey for the young bored-with-soccer student German fan to access), it would take off here in a big way.

Germans love the physicality of NFL (which broadcasts 2 matches a week free on local sports channels), and generally enjoy an escape from the rule-based culture during leisure time (my theory on why the EDM rave scene is so big).

AFL is everything they would love in a sport. It even has the finicky rules that a rule loving stereotypical German can debate once they understand them. NFL Deutschland has an active twitter and facebook presence, German speaking commentators, 2 matches shown free every week and I was able to watch the superbowl live in a local cinema. NFL has tested the market for us, and there is a high chance of success. I wish the AFL would back up what it says about expanding the game, and actually make it possible for international people to stumble upon it! Nobody accidentally pays 100 bucks to see something they've never heard of.

I'm just up the road in Reutlingen. Standard is pretty poor but the Stuttgart Emus seem to have some fun playing. I know of one Aussie who goes to training once in a while but haven't checked it out myself... one day I will, although I may be a little too old for it to be honest

Then you wouldn't know that 18-a-side is fine. The 9-a-side is more developmental.
By the sounds of it they'd run rings around you.

I'd expect so. Plus I have the disability.... of growing up in NSW 40 years ago when AFL was hardly played and teams were coached by a kid from the next age group up. I only played for 2 years before switching to another sport. Anyway, hope you get some numbers to the game

I left the country to escape the ribbings that came with Essendon drug saga (among other reasons).
I'm finally courageous enough to sign up for an account on big footy.

Great win over the saints today!

Hey I;ve been there! I have a friend from Stuttgart and he took me all over the place. Great stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back