Federer - a return to #1?

Remove this Banner Ad

If Federer wins Wimbledon you'd have to think he's in with a real shot of ending the year at no.1, especially considering how he normally outperforms Nadal comfortably in the post-Wimbledon stretch.

Of course I cannot claim any insight into Fed's mind but I doubt if he has even thought about ranking.......until now.

His main and truly only aim will be the US Open ( 20 majors has such a lovely rounded look to it ) but of course if he wins in NY he almost automatically takes number 1.

What is beautiful for him is that he is in pure bonus territory. A genius with absolutely nothing to prove or to lose is a dangerous presence in any sporting contest.

You can see Nadal resting less than Fed just because he's such a competitive beast - if he can stay relatively fit I'd give him the edge, but just.
Agreed, I don't think Nadal lost due to wear and tear, he's 5 years younger than Fed and if his body is feeling good he may as well keep going. Will win a few tournaments in the lead up given his recent form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not trying to predict the future, just illustrating that your points are neither rational nor evidence based. Nostalgia is clouding your judgement.
Nostalgia clearly wasn't clouding my judgement, nor were my arguments irrational or lacking evidence.

What are your current thoughts on the situation Demosthenes ?

31-2 win loss record for the season, 5 titles, 2 GS, 2 MS, 1 500.

Nothing has changed. Still zero chance of him getting back to number one. He won't play enough.

You really need to let go of the delusion.

The only reason this is a conversation is because he has played out of his skin and his only 3 rivals have been plagued with injury.

He's done as well as he could possibly have done, and he's still going to finish the season behind Nadal and probably Murray.

Please don't be shocked when he skips three quarters of the rest of the season.

The only reason this is a conversation is because he has played out of his skin and his only 3 rivals have been plagued with injury.

He's done as well as he could possibly have done, and he's still going to finish the season behind Nadal and probably Murray.

Please don't be shocked when he skips three quarters of the rest of the season.
So now you're changing your argument. Never mentioned his rivals being plagued with injury before today. And for that matter, Nadal is not injured this year.

He has done as well as he could have done, what evidence is there to suggest it won't continue for the remainder of the year? He is dominating his opponents.

He will not skip the us open, year end championships, he'll play either the Montreal or Cincinatti masters, plus the Shanghai masters. Roughly 6000 points to collect from those tournaments.

Finish behind Murray? The only player he can possibly finish behind this year is Nadal.

You cannot accept that you were wrong on this topic.

I haven't changed anything. Federer has zero chance of getting back to number one. Sorry you're so butthurt about it.

I'm stating my opinion about the future.

Mostly because it's hilarious to see you get so worked up about the idea that a complete stranger disagrees about how often a multimillionaire is going to successfully hit a ball over a net in the next five months.

Nadal maybe five years younger than Fed, but Nadal's game style requires more effort than Fed's. Nadal's has had more injuries than Roger throughout their careers. Rafa needs to play more than Roger because of his game style and to find his rhythm.

I haven't changed anything. Federer has zero chance of getting back to number one. Sorry you're so butthurt about it.

The thing is, that is a ridiculous assessment, given where the points actually stand right now. Nadal and Federer both have roughly double the points of the next highest ranked guy. That year-end number 1 very likely goes to one or the other. I'd agree Nadal is the front-runner and likely to play more tournaments, but to suggest that it is essentially certain that Federer won't get it is completely preposterous. Maybe Nadal cuts back on minor tournaments to go all out for the US Open. Heck maybe he gets injured which of course I really hope doesn't happen, but it's not as if it's inconceivable.

Edit: here are the rankings points for 2017:

Rafael Nadal 31 - 7,095

Roger Federer 35 - 6,545

Dominic Thiem 23 - 3,345

I only included Thiem for the sake of demonstrating the gap between 2 and 3.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/en/rankings/singles-race-to-london if you want to check out the full list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back