Autopsy Eagles Def Freo by 30 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Kersten is utter dog s**t. Didn't halve a marking contest all day.

He hasn't taken a contested mark since may 27 and when the ball hits the ground he's as slow as someone who's 6'6. He's the worst of both worlds. A slow, lumbering player who can't take a mark.

Utter waste of time.

Totally frustrating player , has all the attributes but the classic built like Tarzan and plays like Jane
Rarely saw him win a contested possession at the Cats and seemed to be the master of kicking an easy goal on the back of others hard work. Probably averaged 6-8 possessions per game at the Cats and was the master of the short step so he was never first in a contest.
Do not miss at all

He went to the Peel game yesterday did he not? Come on, he has to be impressed with Tabs fighting and continue to never give in. Has to be rewarded for that.

Tabs was weak as piss in the first half , never put his head over the ball and needed a major rocket to fire him up in the second half. Maybe Ross is also trying to fire him up and bring some consistency and aggression into his game. Getting bags in the WAFL is a hell of lot better for his confidence than getting carved up in the seniors week after week. Maybe this stint in the seconds will be the making of him.

lol.... just lol, good read for a Monday. Whatever helps you sleep at night mate, plus was good seeing the purple army leave the game early

Your mids stink and your forwards managed 74 points against a defence that incl 3 rookies. You were beaten up in the midfield by an 18 and 19 year old ruckman and a midfield years younger than yours. You will finish low in the eight or ninth and go into next season with the the oldest list in the comp. Good luck sleeping with that future to look forward to.

Yep thought the same salim.Was at the game and first half thought Tabs won't become a regular AFL performer because he just doesn't contest hard enough.He's powerful but doesn't use his power to advantage often enough.
I think that's definitely the strategy with him.We've told you the same stuff forever,nothing's changed sufficiently;this time around you're gonna have to produce consistently tougher performances around the contest in the WAFL for a longer period.
If we're building a list for a flag tilt something has to change with Tabs to reduce the gap between best and worst.
Needs to become a more reliable performer,bit sharper,bit more mongrel all the things that have been mentioned all his career.
I think we are good at developing players and are giving him every chance but time will expire eventually.
I'm still hopeful,but not as hopeful as I was a year ago.

Your mids stink and your forwards managed 74 points against a defence that incl 3 rookies. You were beaten up in the midfield by an 18 and 19 year old ruckman and a midfield years younger than yours. You will finish low in the eight or ninth and go into next season with the the oldest list in the comp. Good luck sleeping with that future to look forward to.

Hi there and thanks for the reply, and after all that we still won so what does this tell us about your team? You cant use that as excuse, you had younger legs on the ground should have been able to run over our old-timers. Time will tell where both our teams will finish end of the year, I'm certain we will be higher especially when we start getting our players back... just saying

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep thought the same salim.Was at the game and first half thought Tabs won't become a regular AFL performer because he just doesn't contest hard enough.He's powerful but doesn't use his power to advantage often enough.
I think that's definitely the strategy with him.We've told you the same stuff forever,nothing's changed sufficiently;this time around you're gonna have to produce consistently tougher performances around the contest in the WAFL for a longer period.
If we're building a list for a flag tilt something has to change with Tabs to reduce the gap between best and worst.
Needs to become a more reliable performer,bit sharper,bit more mongrel all the things that have been mentioned all his career.
I think we are good at developing players and are giving him every chance but time will expire eventually.
I'm still hopeful,but not as hopeful as I was a year ago.

Tabs actually whacked his opponent and gave away a 50 metre penalty just after half time. You can't condone the whack but we all thought hallelujah at last Tabs is getting fierce at the contest. He continued that aggression thru the third term and kicked 4 goals. I think Ross would have liked the third quarter but not have been so happy with his consistency in the other 3.

Hi there and thanks for the reply, and after all that we still won so what does this tell us about your team? You cant use that as excuse, you had younger legs on the ground should have been able to run over our old-timers. Time will tell where both our teams will finish end of the year, I'm certain we will be higher especially we start getting our players back... just saying

We don't give a flying fart about this year. If you haven't noticed its rebuild time. You shouldn't either because you lot finishing with a cup is a wet dream. Its all about the next block of seasons and we are well on the way up and you lot of lemmings are heading for the cliff.

Decided to watch the replay late last night after reading some strange observations by a few others on here. No question it was a pretty awful game by both teams. Somewhat a comedy act at times. But given where we are at in a rebuild (and not pretending we are contending) I still think there were some positives to take away from it.

I don't understand the criticisms of our defence and Logue in particular - if you take away the pick 8 expectation thing I think he's tracking ok. I thought all our young defenders stood up pretty well. Said my piece on Spurr in past weeks so won't repeat it. Thought Ryan took another big step forward. The calls that Blakely was terrible are bewildering to me. I looked hard because I didn't see much bad watching live but then still couldn't see much wrong with him in the replay either.

Thought our midfield was fairly dominant despite both Neale and SHill being well below par and Mundy (and Blakely) not being used much inside either (we seem to be experimenting a lot inside and still getting the job done). Exciting to see Fyfe starting to show some trademark Fyfe moments again. Darcy is just so solid for his age - it's somewhat unbelievable. Take away the horrendous delivery inside 50 and there is not much else not to like about our mids imo. Although I think we need to deal with these persistent niggles if we want our midfield to absolutely dominate in games.

I still don't get why people seem so surprised that our forward line sucks. I'm all for experimenting with different personnel but it's going to suck regardless with the list we currently have at our disposal. I don't think it is any secret to anyone that our KPF cupboard is bare. And we could have had Franklin and Hogan and still struggled to score the way we massacred the ball forward of centre. But the supply is fixable and I think we showed that in recent previous games where we were much more competitive with better i50 entries irrespective of our below average forward line personnel.

I agree there are some structure issues but I don't think it is as dire as some are making out. We transition the ball pretty damn fast these days so I don't think it's surprising that sometimes our f50 is a barren wasteland. I also don't think it is a coincidence that teams that use short kicks to move the ball often don't have empty forward lines ;) I think we need to find the right balance but I hope we don't consider slowing down our transition.

The thing that frustrates me most is the lack of coordination between players at times. The forwards seem to get in each other's way rather than supporting each other. Almost no movement and when they do it seems half arsed and they crowd the same space. And the number of times guys like Hughes, who is one of our best sets of hands in the air down back had our own players blocking his run at the ball (to spoil/intercept) was infuriating. Think Spurr did it 3 or 4 times. Is it coaching or just that our players are still learning to play with each other? Probably a bit of both?

Loving the progress we've made with our back line. Confident our midfield can become a dominant force again. But I'm going to be realistic that we're going to need a fair bit of time to solve the forward line issues. Predicting we'll focus almost exclusively on forward line personnel this off season. I also think we've got quite a few players capable of great delivery inside 50 but for whatever reason their consistency is pretty appalling atm. But I've seen plenty of other teams go from dire skills to looking elite in a season or two. I'd back us in to follow a similar path as our new look B22-28 starts to firm up and gel under the leadership of our newest Docker for life.

We don't give a flying fart about this year. If you haven't noticed its rebuild time. You shouldn't either because you lot finishing with a cup is a wet dream. Its all about the next block of seasons and we are well on the way up and you lot of lemmings are heading for the cliff.

Well it looks like you do give a "flying fart" lol... na I'm not worried at all we have some good players running in the WALF that will get a chance soon

Hi there and thanks for the reply, and after all that we still won so what does this tell us about your team? You cant use that as excuse, you had younger legs on the ground should have been able to run over our old-timers. Time will tell where both our teams will finish end of the year, I'm certain we will be higher especially when we start getting our players back... just saying

Yeah, you'll finish higher than us as we are just starting a 4 year rebuild. You may even make the 8 which will account for what if you are sent packing week one like last year?

I hope you give Mitchell and Petrie their send off games against the Crows in round 23. They have been honorable servants of the club who have prevented your kids from developing in the seniors and instead left them languishing in some half-arsed WAFL team that doesn't even want them there.

If Ross Lyon actually said that, he's a ******* moron.

How could you be happy with a guy that was a complete spud at Geelong and if anything is worse at Freo.

Third tall or not, he has no presence and has no ability to impact a contest....never has and probably never will.

Mind you, given Lyon's issue with playing anyone inside forward 50, I'm not surprised he's happy with Kersten.

If Tabs is not in next week despite some good recent WAFL games, Ross Lyon I am convinced is not genuine about scoring and let's face it, as much as Tabs is frustrating, he has more presence and creates a contest which is better than what Kersten does.

I think that's the summary of what other posters think he's said - I didn't exactly read it that way.

From my perspective it just seems that he's weary/hesitant of a Tabs inclusion, and that he thinks Kersten is doing what he's meant to.

I think he's right, Kersten is only meant to kick a goal or two a game, and there's every reason to be hesitant about Tabs playing successfully. Of course what he doesn't discuss is how ineffective his forward structure is, and how important it is to fix that - but no body bothered to put him on the spotlight about that.

Well it looks like you do give a "flying fart" lol... na I'm not worried at all we have some good players running in the WALF that will get a chance soon
Not sure what this WALF is but sounds lucky for you because your players at East Perth in the WAFL have looked absolutely woeful when I've watched them. Was good to see Duggan play his best game in recent memory yesterday (at least early on in the game).

Decided to watch the replay late last night after reading some strange observations by a few others on here. No question it was a pretty awful game by both teams. Somewhat a comedy act at times. But given where we are at in a rebuild (and not pretending we are contending) I still think there were some positives to take away from it.

I don't understand the criticisms of our defence and Logue in particular - if you take away the pick 8 expectation thing I think he's tracking ok. I thought all our young defenders stood up pretty well. Said my piece on Spurr in past weeks so won't repeat it. Thought Ryan took another big step forward. The calls that Blakely was terrible are bewildering to me. I looked hard because I didn't see much bad watching live but then still couldn't see much wrong with him in the replay either.

Thought our midfield was fairly dominant despite both Neale and SHill being well below par and Mundy (and Blakely) not being used much inside either (we seem to be experimenting a lot inside and still getting the job done). Exciting to see Fyfe starting to show some trademark Fyfe moments again. Darcy is just so solid for his age - it's somewhat unbelievable. Take away the horrendous delivery inside 50 and there is not much else not to like about our mids imo. Although I think we need to deal with these persistent niggles if we want our midfield to absolutely dominate in games.

I still don't get why people seem so surprised that our forward line sucks. I'm all for experimenting with different personnel but it's going to suck regardless with the list we currently have at our disposal. I don't think it is any secret to anyone that our KPF cupboard is bare. And we could have had Franklin and Hogan and still struggled to score the way we massacred the ball forward of centre. But the supply is fixable and I think we showed that in recent previous games where we were much more competitive with better i50 entries irrespective of our below average forward line personnel.

I agree there are some structure issues but I don't think it is as dire as some are making out. We transition the ball pretty damn fast these days so I don't think it's surprising that sometimes our f50 is a barren wasteland. I also don't think it is a coincidence that teams that use short kicks to move the ball often don't have empty forward lines ;) I think we need to find the right balance but I hope we don't consider slowing down our transition.

The thing that frustrates me most is the lack of coordination between players at times. The forwards seem to get in each other's way rather than supporting each other. Almost no movement and when they do it seems half arsed and they crowd the same space. And the number of times guys like Hughes, who is one of our best sets of hands in the air down back had our own players blocking his run at the ball (to spoil/intercept) was infuriating. Think Spurr did it 3 or 4 times. Is it coaching or just that our players are still learning to play with each other? Probably a bit of both?

Loving the progress we've made with our back line. Confident our midfield can become a dominant force again. But I'm going to be realistic that we're going to need a fair bit of time to solve the forward line issues. Predicting we'll focus almost exclusively on forward line personnel this off season. I also think we've got quite a few players capable of great delivery inside 50 but for whatever reason their consistency is pretty appalling atm. But I've seen plenty of other teams go from dire skills to looking elite in a season or two. I'd back us in to follow a similar path as our new look B22-28 starts to firm up and gel under the leadership of our newest Docker for life.
Super post.

Absolutely savagely true, love it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back