Will Dangerfields performance on the weekend....

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 5, 2007
Gippsland, Victoria
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Nashville predators
Lead to stay-at-home forwards returning or was this just a nice blast from the past for an older footballer watcher.

Heading towards my 40s, I still remember the good old days when you had Dunstall/Lockett/Ablett/Modra et al kicking goals week in week out.

Dangerfield, due to injury, was basically kept in the F50 from about midway through the 1st qtr. He didn't track up the field like most forwards do these days, he stayed close to goal and caused a truckload of problems for Hawthorn's defence in the process.

Richmond has done this a few times with Martin, though not sure he's stayed as deep.

So the question, could the forced tactic from Geelong see a return of the stay at home Full forward and maybe see some big personal goal tallies come back, or was this just a one-off and it's success largely resulting from a gun player against an inexperienced backline?

Just a one off i suspect... caught the opposition off guard and some inexperienced defenders added in the mix.

Not often seen tactic but not unique, from what little I've seen of Richmond Dusty sometimes is isolated at FF on occasions, remember one game in late 2015 I think where he won the game vs the Crows in Adelaide.

Maybe for teams that have a suitable player like: Martin, Dangerfield, Gray. For most teams it wouldn't work too well.
Coaches will start thinking up tactics to counter it quickly if it becomes more common.

I think it worked with Dangerfield because firstly, he's an elite player, and secondly, it's a tactic that hasn't been used for so long that the Hawks were thrown off guard. As much as I think most people like the stay at home forward, it died out because coaches learnt to nullify it.

I don't think it's a tactic teams will employ regularly or unless out of necessity, as defensive setups across the ground are generally too sophisticated nowadays, and don't allow for the type of supply or space for the tactic to work effectively.

I grew up on '90s footy, watching players kick centuries, but that was as much to do with tactics and style of play of the era as it was skill. Why is it necessarily "better" to have one player scoring most of the goals? It's not netball, with a designated Goal Shooter.

Won't happen. It's a good tactic for them at times, but for the most part he will stay in the middle and if he pushes forward and kicks 2-3 as a midfielder it'd be more than helpful.

You've also got to remember that Hawthorn has a backline full of kids, Dangerfield is going to be more than a handful for a pretty inexperienced defender.

You put a good sized 100 game defender on him and it's going to be a different story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Won't happen. It's a good tactic for them at times, but for the most part he will stay in the middle and if he pushes forward and kicks 2-3 as a midfielder it'd be more than helpful.

You've also got to remember that Hawthorn has a backline full of kids, Dangerfield is going to be more than a handful for a pretty inexperienced defender.

You put a good sized 100 game defender on him and it's going to be a different story.

What about a good size 300 gamer like Hodge? A fair match up you would think, similar size and all.

once off he couldnt run but it shows the danger of a gun player like that out one out forward danger killed the hawks today. when dusty goes to full forward defenders s**t and robbie gray does it to perfection as well. sepperates the top class players from the pretty good

Maybe not now but there will be some guy who will kick a 100 again and bring the big bag goalkicker back into focus.

I'm sure if you asked people in the mid 60s they would of said no one would kick 100 again and it was all a thing of the past and the game had become too 'professional'

I think it worked with Dangerfield because firstly, he's an elite player, and secondly, it's a tactic that hasn't been used for so long that the Hawks were thrown off guard. As much as I think most people like the stay at home forward, it died out because coaches learnt to nullify it.

Swings and roundabouts...maybe coaches will bring it back to counter the current defensive systems in place.

It would certainly make the zoning defenders nervous, where even a long hack kick to a player like Dangerfield or Martin would be dangerous.
Some zones would maintain their shape but some others might push a defender back which opens more space in the midfield.

This is where i'd like to see the torp make a come back! Keep a stay at home forward, and every now and then when you get the ball at half back send a long torp inside F50 to that player...it would make the zoning defenders second guess themselves.

Swings and roundabouts...maybe coaches will bring it back to counter the current defensive systems in place.

It would certainly make the zoning defenders nervous, where even a long hack kick to a player like Dangerfield or Martin would be dangerous.
Some zones would maintain their shape but some others might push a defender back which opens more space in the midfield.

This is where i'd like to see the torp make a come back! Keep a stay at home forward, and every now and then when you get the ball at half back send a long torp inside F50 to that player...it would make the zoning defenders second guess themselves.

Didn't a few sides last year try to leave a man out the back of the zone at all times? I remember Brisbane doing it, did anyone else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back