Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm glad everyone is off Vossy's back, at least for now.

We had our problems in 2015 but last year was nothing short of a write off given the ruck situation - that was evident at the time and has only become more obvious in hindsight.

Fast forward to 2017 and he's really got our midfield purring. Aside from one quarter against GWS (again, minus Ryder), our midfield hasn't been beaten all year.

And there is literally nobody better to have at the club to coach and mentor Ollie and SPP, who play the game in his image.

I reckon our midfield is no longer our weakness.

Defence is terrific. Mids are good.

Forward line could be better if Robbie Gray and Young were both not cooked.
Midfield is only good. They won't be great until our entries into the forward line are fixed up. Our forward personnel is far from optimal, but the mid's can't escape part of the blame for not lowering the eyes and picking out the best target.

Gotta give the man credit, midfield has been doing great this year. Well done Voss
Paddy has a lot to do with it, would we be performing just as well without someone as dominant as he is? He will show his quality as a coach if he can show us that we can seamlessly cover without Paddy.

We are getting better and better at team first football. Our big rolling maul of a midfield gets back to support the defence, works the ball through the transition to the forward line and supports the forwards in scoring and keeping the ball locked into the F50.

Voss I'm sure has played a role in that but we also have a team first approach in the coaching box where the coaches work together to create a cohesive football unit.

So we take a broken coach, fix him and when he's ready we release him to the wild and start the process again. No thanks!

Buckley would be a good get. Not problem with that at all. If bucks were willing to leave Melbourne to come to us for a coaching position it would be telling me 1. Port Adelaide looks good on your resume. 2. He's serious about believing he has something to offer.

I am not sure, but I think Voss is contracted until 2019. But I had a very quick look & can not find exactly how long he signed for. He started with us in October 2014. I though for 5 years.

The pub talk in melbourne.. which is always accurate :) Kangaroos & Magpies are looking at him...But they are both probably considering Ronald McDonald.
upload_2017-7-17_19-30-9.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not wanting Vossie to leave, but if he did then id be praying that we could lure Stewie Dew back as midfield and strategy coach!

Chances are that Dew will fill one of the 'soon to be vacant' head coach roles though.

... we also have a team first approach in the coaching box where the coaches work together to create a cohesive football unit.
The person who deserves credit for that is Chris Davies.

The biggest thing this year is that we've finally realised that size is important in the guts.

Why it took so long to sort out given our midfield coach was a tank and Hinkley was at Geelong in their heyday, I'm not sure, but god our big bodies are dominating

The biggest thing this year is that we've finally realised that size is important in the guts.

Why it took so long to sort out given our midfield coach was a tank and Hinkley was at Geelong in their heyday, I'm not sure, but god our big bodies are dominating

It could be argued that it was only in 2016 that our lack of size was really apparent at the stoppage. In 13 and 14 we were flying and our midfield dominated. In 2015 it's easy to put the midfield woes on having far too many difficulties getting the Ryder/Lobbe combo right. Then in 2016 we had Jacko rucking the entire year so we never had our hands on the footy first.

Credit to the coaches for making a slew of changes involving our key parts. It could have been easy to change a few of the deck chairs and hoped to improve by a few games to sneak into the 8, but they've made the necessary changes to set the team up for a long period of time.

I'm glad everyone is off Vossy's back, at least for now.

We had our problems in 2015 but last year was nothing short of a write off given the ruck situation - that was evident at the time and has only become more obvious in hindsight.

Fast forward to 2017 and he's really got our midfield purring. Aside from one quarter against GWS (again, minus Ryder), our midfield hasn't been beaten all year.

And there is literally nobody better to have at the club to coach and mentor Ollie and SPP, who play the game in his image.

I think many tend to forget that Voss is relatively a young coach with a short coaching career. Was always going to be an adjustent period for him.

Also wonder if having two midfield coaches affected things. I recall there were several times where you could see Voss and Carr in an argument at the quarter time huddles.

I am not sure, but I think Voss is contracted until 2019. But I had a very quick look & can not find exactly how long he signed for. He started with us in October 2014. I though for 5 years.

The pub talk in melbourne.. which is always accurate :) Kangaroos & Magpies are looking at him...But they are both probably considering Ronald McDonald.
View attachment 393469
Pretty sure that Ronald (sic) McDonald is tied to Collingwood

mcDonald_newmagpies.jpg

View attachment 393469

It doesn't matter how long Voss is contracted for. If he's offered a senior coaching gig he'll be released from his contract like Richardson and Walsh were.

I cant see that Voss would be next in line to coach again. He's done wonders with our midfield this year though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back