Preview St Kilda vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

There is one thing about Hickey's game on Friday and its that he won contested ball. Yes his disposal was crap, but the end result is no worse than all those so called inside mids who didn't want to get leather on their hands.

If we want to beat Sydney we NEED to win contested ball.
Steven won a bit , but no more than Heppel, and there were other Essendon players who won more.
Steele, Ross, Stevens did not win enough of the ball.
I'll do my Damian Barrett impersonation.

If: You are an inside mid and you win less contested ball than Jack Lonie or Tom Hickey. Then: You ain't doing it right.

Acres /Dunstan/ Freeman....?

Seb was the big disappointment from that game, didn't get into the game at all and didn't seem to limit their midfield at all. We were second to the ball all night. Longer wouldn't have made a difference when the midfield didn't go in and win their own ball.

Seb was the big disappointment from that game, didn't get into the game at all and didn't seem to limit their midfield at all. We were second to the ball all night. Longer wouldn't have made a difference when the midfield didn't go in and win their own ball.

One thing Longer does well is he cracks in & sets the standard. The mids compelled to follow suit. Hickey was so timid & lacked aggression, I reckon his impact or lack of is being underestimated.

Re Longer - It was so disappointing that it was funny when Bellchambers continually took the ball in the ruck and kicked it forward brushing aside Hickey. It happened A number of times

Seb got some attention as well, so like all heralded mids, was down on form as a result

Steele is a bit of a front runner, Ross usually takes time to work his way into a game, before racking them up, so if Stevens or Steven doesn't get first use of the ball early, we are doomed.:(

Damn i miss Armo averaging 12 contested possessions and 6 clearances each week.

Bulldogs supporters round about the time that we got Koby, were saying that consistency had been an issue with him, perhaps true.
Steele is nearly 22 and has played 31 games, he get a bit of slack from me at this point in time. I hope to see more improvement from him.

There is one thing about Hickey's game on Friday and its that he won contested ball. Yes his disposal was crap, but the end result is no worse than all those so called inside mids who didn't want to get leather on their hands.

If we want to beat Sydney we NEED to win contested ball.
Steven won a bit , but no more than Heppel, and there were other Essendon players who won more.
Steele, Ross, Stevens did not win enough of the ball.
I'll do my Damian Barrett impersonation.

If: You are an inside mid and you win less contested ball than Jack Lonie or Tom Hickey. Then: You ain't doing it right.

Acres /Dunstan/ Freeman....?
Bellchambers was able to tap it directly to a running mid who would pass it clear of the congestion or do it himself no chance for our mids to get involved.
Teams don't have to have great rucks but if they don't impact the contest it nullifies your midfield especially with no 3rd man up rule.

One thing Longer does well is he cracks in & sets the standard. The mids compelled to follow suit. Hickey was so timid & lacked aggression, I reckon his impact or lack of is being underestimated.

Don't get me wrong, Hickey had a mare of the highest order. Just about everything he touched turned to s**t but the hysteria about him being the major contributor is so overstated on here. Our mids were awful, forwards limp and our backline was crap. We gave up 20 marks inside 50 in dangerous spots because it was coming in so fast. Brown was too slow and if Carlisle hadn't cut off a heap it would have been much worse so we got him out of the area and sent him forward...which lead to them piling on goals. It was a full field dysfunctional display and probably only had three or four players who could leave the ground with their heads held high. Don't think any of them won their position but they at least broke even.

Good mids read the tap of the other ruckman if the taps go against them. We didn't play close to their mids and even when they had mids dominating we let them run free. We played the polar opposite game to the week before.

That's a good call and something I have noticed as well.

Physical contact is critical and I must admit I forgot he had a decent leap on him.

If his form this year continues on the same trajectory, I'll be thrilled.

And I'm a Hickey fan.

Would for him to be our Big Carl Mk2. Without the elbows, of course. .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Like most others here it seems, I feel that Long, Battle and D-Mac are just not up to it at this stage and as such, if we're really serious about wanting to play finals this year, at least two, if not 3 of them need to come out this week.

The fact that Gilbo and maybe even Gears will miss doesn't make it easy to drop Dan though and Mav and seemingly Wright doing not doing much in the VFL and Minch being injured makes it harder to drop Long though, so that's not ideal.

Think Acres just has to come in for one of them though.

I agree with what someone else said that we need to get off the revolving door thing with Dunstan. I don't want to see him in again this year unless he puts up multiple blinders in a row at VFL level, or if one or more of Koby, Seb, or Steele are injured or way out of form. Don't think we should be dropping a Koby/Steele after one poor game just to get Dunstan back in.

I think we made a mistake bringing Battle in last week. I know he was a like for like but he didn't look anywhere near up to it and his VFL form wasn't anything special either.

Marshall, although not a like for like for Membrey, has had form all year in the VFL, is versatile and can help out in the ruck of needed. Bit rough to drop a bloke after his first game but I'd be making that change.

Wouldn't surprise if we keep Battle and replace Gilbert with Marshall...

Prefer Blake to Battle though.

Reckon Mav will be straight back in. Even out of form he is better than Long at this point in time.

Like most others here it seems, I feel that Long, Battle and D-Mac are just not up to it at this stage and as such, if we're really serious about wanting to play finals this year, at least two, if not 3 of them need to come out this week.

The fact that Gilbo and maybe even Gears will miss doesn't make it easy to drop Dan though and Mav and seemingly Wright doing not doing much in the VFL and Minch being injured makes it harder to drop Long though, so that's not ideal.

Think Acres just has to come in for one of them though.

I agree with what someone else said that we need to get off the revolving door thing with Dunstan. I don't want to see him in again this year unless he puts up multiple blinders in a row at VFL level, or if one or more of Koby, Seb, or Steele are injured or way out of form. Don't think we should be dropping a Koby/Steele after one poor game just to get Dunstan back in.

I was calling for Dunny's head but he's played 2 blinders now in a row hasn't he. Steele probably should be held to the same standard and would want a good game this week too. Was completely ineffectual with only two times I remember him winning the ball and wasn't up to his usual defensive standard. Koby was pretty s**t too.

Wouldn't surprise if we keep Battle and replace Gilbert with Marshall...

Prefer Blake to Battle though.

Reckon Mav will be straight back in. Even out of form he is better than Long at this point in time.

I think Battle might be an easy one to drop because it looks like school was a big consideration for his selection so a trip to Sydney isn't going to be ideal. Probably only came in to give him a quick taste....if he'd kicked 5 he would have ben hard to drop though.

What chance is Holmes of playing? I keep checking each week to see if he's been named (I really want him to do well).

Seems to have fallen out of consideration these days. He looks better than either of our rucks but the club seems to have lost interest.

Without the elbows, of course. .
Who can forget them VDS66....my old man loved Big Carl.

He used to do these very animated gestures throwing the elbows back and yelling "whack"

He called it the big Carl fair tackle...lol.

It was all bluff on my old man's part but it terrified all the kids in my street.

I was calling for Dunny's head but he's played 2 blinders now in a row hasn't he. Steele probably should be held to the same standard and would want a good game this week too. Was completely ineffectual with only two times I remember him winning the ball and wasn't up to his usual defensive standard. Koby was pretty s**t too.
Yep, looks like he's played a couple of terrific games in a row, but we know what he's like in the seniors and both Koby and Steele were good just a week earlier, so I don't believe they ought to be dropped off one ordinary game. Especially Koby.

Dunstan didn't get dropped earlier in the year until he had 12 possies two weeks in a row, from memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back