Remove this Banner Ad

youmewe

Club Legend
Dec 22, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our defence held up very well.

Before yesterday West Coast were:

2-16 when held to 74 points or less during Simpson's reign.
2-13 in Western Derbies when held to 81 points or less.

Keeping West Coast to 74 points, coupled with a +11 inside 50 count* should have produced a different result.

* This season teams winning the inside 50 count by 10-12 have a 10-5 record (including us yesterday).

Oct 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Liverpool, Cardinals
That's exactly what you are saying and your post is a pile of s**t.

Watching the games live doesn't give you any special insight. If anything you see less watching a game live.

I'm actually going to disagree with you here.

Watching the game gives you a wider perspective that the narrow focus of the TV doesn't provide. Its allowed me to get a better view of our structures and you can clearly identify when and how they break down that you just cannot see on the box.

Next game, watch how we set up in zones and watch for short kick to player that leads into one of the open spaces. Its how the better kicking teams have been working their way through our zone defence. I've seen poorer kicking teams been partially successful but one missed kick generally results in a stoppage if not an outright turnover.

You also get a better feel for the way our forwards collapse on the midfield and then have to rush back forward. You never get the wider view when the focus is always on the ball.

Watch the next game then watch the same game on the TV that night. They often look radically different games.

Unfortunately, I don't get to go to all the games like I used to but its really worth watch live to get a better feel for the game

Garlic muncher

Cancelled
Feb 3, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
2 weeks ago i went to watch West Perth play Peel and at 3/4 time Peel had kicked 15.0 straight and West was behind by about 40 points but had more scoring shots.

At one stage yesterday Freo was 2 Goals 13.

Just incredible.

Paracleet

Emotion is not going to get the job done..
Jun 30, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
2 weeks ago i went to watch West Perth play Peel and at 3/4 time Peel had kicked 15.0 straight and West was behind by about 40 points but had more scoring shots.

At one stage yesterday Freo was 2 Goals 13.

Just incredible.
Well now we all know how the Hawks fans felt at half time during the 2010 elimination final. They were what? 1 Goal 11?

I suppose they took solace from being 2 years on from a flag. And then 3 subsequent ones...

May 15, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
The Cobblers who do the Cobbling
I understand the strategy of a rebuild. I just don't think Logue is ready yet. He looks like he has no idea and no confidence and should develop his craft more with peel. He isn't going for marks, gets pushed off the ball easily, barely offers any rebound and positioning is often off. Don't get me wrong, I'm not writing him off, or think he was a poor pick, he needs to learn the basics of the game at a lower level at a lower intensity. As for bringing ibbotson back. Who else plays third tall? Could be Collins, but think that would be too tall with Johnson and hamling or possibly nhyuis back, but I like him forward. Other than bringing back Sutcliffe. We could also benefit from more experience in the back line.

Thing is we are on the run home in a season where finals are out of the question, the only way Logue improves is playing games at this level.

We have more pain coming before this mob gel and start to click, I am comfortable to see this season out playing the young blokes rather than bringing in the likes of Ibbo, just to get some experience for a few meaningless games.

Ethan Hughes, Darcy Tucker both look likely sorts and yes Nyhuis could slot down back, Logue will learn how to play his role. Next year Pearce will return and we can build the back line around him as MJ will probably be gone.

Midfield is set, but the forward line needs huge work. Maybe the future sees logue in the middle and Fyfe as CHF ?

We have just lucked out with trying to get a decent FF since Pav.

Dpassa

Draftee
Jul 17, 2017
AFL Club
Fremantle
Croz fly under the radar a lot with his kicking , without grey around as a bad kick ( I think he is reasonable ) , croz weakness show. Bring deluca in and play grey in wafl .

Deluca needs game time for sure.

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Croz set shot needs some work but a great game none the less.

I mentioned this on the melt thread a few weeks ago. When was the last time he nailed a goal from 40-50m out? It's actually concerning. He goes through the exact same routine. Routinely misses and places the mouthguard back into his mouth and jogs off to his defensive position EVERY time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Again - watching live gives you no special insight. You see much less of the game watching live than you do on TV.

You go to watch live for the atmosphere and the experience. You'll see more of the actual game on TV. That's why you can hear the crowd go "ooh ahh" when there's a big screen replay of a free kick at the ground. They didn't see it the first time like the TV watchers did. You'll see bugger all at the ground live compared to someone who watched it on TV with benefit of a zoom lens.
What a load of hogwash. wayToGo_ was talking about being able to see the way we structure up across the entire field which you simply cannot see on tv. Not talking about close ups or replays, but structure across the ground. This can pretty much only be seen live. I don't understand why you're even arguing the point. Games that have offside can be arguably better on tv because you know where the players are, but not AFL.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Decided to watch the replay late last night after reading some strange observations by a few others on here. No question it was a pretty awful game by both teams. Somewhat a comedy act at times. But given where we are at in a rebuild (and not pretending we are contending) I still think there were some positives to take away from it.

I don't understand the criticisms of our defence and Logue in particular - if you take away the pick 8 expectation thing I think he's tracking ok. I thought all our young defenders stood up pretty well. Said my piece on Spurr in past weeks so won't repeat it. Thought Ryan took another big step forward. The calls that Blakely was terrible are bewildering to me. I looked hard because I didn't see much bad watching live but then still couldn't see much wrong with him in the replay either.

Thought our midfield was fairly dominant despite both Neale and SHill being well below par and Mundy (and Blakely) not being used much inside either (we seem to be experimenting a lot inside and still getting the job done). Exciting to see Fyfe starting to show some trademark Fyfe moments again. Darcy is just so solid for his age - it's somewhat unbelievable. Take away the horrendous delivery inside 50 and there is not much else not to like about our mids imo. Although I think we need to deal with these persistent niggles if we want our midfield to absolutely dominate in games.

I still don't get why people seem so surprised that our forward line sucks. I'm all for experimenting with different personnel but it's going to suck regardless with the list we currently have at our disposal. I don't think it is any secret to anyone that our KPF cupboard is bare. And we could have had Franklin and Hogan and still struggled to score the way we massacred the ball forward of centre. But the supply is fixable and I think we showed that in recent previous games where we were much more competitive with better i50 entries irrespective of our below average forward line personnel.

I agree there are some structure issues but I don't think it is as dire as some are making out. We transition the ball pretty damn fast these days so I don't think it's surprising that sometimes our f50 is a barren wasteland. I also don't think it is a coincidence that teams that use short kicks to move the ball often don't have empty forward lines ;) I think we need to find the right balance but I hope we don't consider slowing down our transition.

The thing that frustrates me most is the lack of coordination between players at times. The forwards seem to get in each other's way rather than supporting each other. Almost no movement and when they do it seems half arsed and they crowd the same space. And the number of times guys like Hughes, who is one of our best sets of hands in the air down back had our own players blocking his run at the ball (to spoil/intercept) was infuriating. Think Spurr did it 3 or 4 times. Is it coaching or just that our players are still learning to play with each other? Probably a bit of both?

Loving the progress we've made with our back line. Confident our midfield can become a dominant force again. But I'm going to be realistic that we're going to need a fair bit of time to solve the forward line issues. Predicting we'll focus almost exclusively on forward line personnel this off season. I also think we've got quite a few players capable of great delivery inside 50 but for whatever reason their consistency is pretty appalling atm. But I've seen plenty of other teams go from dire skills to looking elite in a season or two. I'd back us in to follow a similar path as our new look B22-28 starts to firm up and gel under the leadership of our newest Docker for life.

Yeah the Blakely bashing was one of the stranger themes I've seen on here , he got 4 votes from me anyway

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
If you actually read my post you would realise I watched it live and then watched the replay on TV. Like I do almost every home game because each gives a very different perspective. Why am I having this stupid debate? If you honestly can't see that people watching live get a more holistic around the ground perspective (eg for things like structure) then I'm not sure anyone can help you see the light. I hate analysing away games because I have no idea what our players are doing off the ball watching on TV.
Watching live is great for that except at ground level TV's better than ground level
Wonder if they could put a TV screen on the back of every seat in the new stadium like an airplane , it would be true AFL 360 plus if the game was as tedious as yesterday you could catch up on a bit of GOT

_007_

Club Legend
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I've got an afl live pass. I've updated the iPhone app. I can't see it. What am
I doing wrong?
Screenshot_20170717-200822.png

When I click on the match I want to see and then hit stats this is what I see. It's in the tracker section.

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just a bit of banter.

I actually agree that our age profile and performance is a problem.

And despite the fact that you've poor the last two years that there are signs that you will improve.

I was just surprised that only one club had less wins.

Really we don't have as many as Carlton ? Even though we are 2 in front this year ? Oh well I personally wouldn't mind a couple less to be honest if you have to suck your better off doing a really good job of it , sort of sucking is .....the.......worst

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Really we don't have as many as Carlton ? Even though we are 2 in front this year ? Oh well I personally wouldn't mind a couple less to be honest if you have to suck your better off doing a really good job of it , sort of sucking is .....the.......worst

Carlton had 3 more wins last year.

Agree on the second part though to a reasonable extent.

Back