Punt Rd 40,000-seat stadium proposal

Remove this Banner Ad

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
The hate for Etihad is strong I see.

This would be a colossal waste of $400 - 600M. All for a few games.

Etihad is a great viewing ground, the infrastructure of the stadium is fine. Spruce it up a bit, sure. Burn it to the ground, no. Opaque roof maybe, new seats, upgrade the catering, new screens etc

Etihad doesn't disconnect the docklands from the city. The huge mass of rail lines do that just fine by themselves.

:thumbsu: on the footy issues.
:thumbsdown:on the disconnect in the view of Harbourtown traders (http://www.harbourtownmelbourne.com.au/http://www.harbourtownmelbourne.com.au/)

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

:thumbsu: on the footy issues.
:thumbsdown:on the disconnect in the view of Harbourtown traders (http://www.harbourtownmelbourne.com.au/http://www.harbourtownmelbourne.com.au/)

Harbourtown near enough to 3km walk from Bourke St. It's not close and the retail core of Melbournes CBD doesn't extend a km in any direction from Bourke st. Neither does any other city in the world to be honest.

It may as well be Chadstone for all the connection that would exist even in a contiguous streetscape. In Sydney you get pretty much from QVB to Edgecliff. Look that up. It goes out of the CBD, across a park, past Darlinghurst, Potts point, Elizabeth bay, rushcutters bay, across another large green space and then Edgecliff. In Melbourne it takes you past the MCG in one direction, past Carlton in another, to Arden St in another.

All of those places mentioned in both cities are distinct areas within their respective cities, most of them with distinct character. Punt rd isn't Bourke st, Arden st isn't, etc etc.

If the retailers/owners etc of Harbourtown think the stadium disconnects them they need to have a look at a map and draw a circle. They are disconnected by distance, plain and simple. Whatever is in that distance makes no difference.

Harbourtown near enough to 3km walk from Bourke St. It's not close and the retail core of Melbournes CBD doesn't extend a km in any direction from Bourke st. Neither does any other city in the world to be honest.

It may as well be Chadstone for all the connection that would exist even in a contiguous streetscape. In Sydney you get pretty much from QVB to Edgecliff. Look that up. It goes out of the CBD, across a park, past Darlinghurst, Potts point, Elizabeth bay, rushcutters bay, across another large green space and then Edgecliff. In Melbourne it takes you past the MCG in one direction, past Carlton in another, to Arden St in another.

All of those places mentioned in both cities are distinct areas within their respective cities, most of them with distinct character. Punt rd isn't Bourke st, Arden st isn't, etc etc.

If the retailers/owners etc of Harbourtown think the stadium disconnects them they need to have a look at a map and draw a circle. They are disconnected by distance, plain and simple. Whatever is in that distance makes no difference.

Cheap all day parking (then)at Harbourtown, find 3km walk questionable, I walked regularly. Cut thru the stadium precinct regularly to an office off King Street.
In Sydney I walked from the Quay to Elizabeth/Market.

Cheap all day parking (then)at Harbourtown, find 3km walk questionable, I walked regularly. Cut thru the stadium precinct regularly to an office off King Street.
In Sydney I walked from the Quay to Elizabeth/Market.
2km tops, it's an easy 20 minute walk from harbourtown to spencer street. Very pedestrian friendly too.

You cant get rid of Etihad! its only 16 years old, it just needs a little bit of money spent on it to spruce it up a bit. But Melbourne does need a 3rd stadium. I keep saying a smaller boutique ground to host the small drawing crowds would be perfect.
You have a few choices in melb... Princes Park, Whitten Oval and Victoria Park that already have some sort of structure there to work on.. even punt road. 30-35K is all you need. Footy back in the suburbs would be great!

Richmond reveals grand plan for 40,000-seat stadium at Punt Rd

View attachment 225933
View attachment 225934

March 17, 2016 7:05pm

MARK ROBINSON Herald Sun

RICHMOND has proposed a glittering third stadium for Melbourne as an alternative to Eddie McGuire’s proposed 60,000-seat extravaganza across the railway tracks.

The Tigers’ Punt Rd Oval master plan centres on a new stadium with up to 40,000 seats and a fans’ zone area between the ground and the neighbouring MCG.

Importantly, Richmond railway station is part of the redevelopment plan.

“Is a third stadium worth exploring? I don’t know, that will be up to the AFL, but we want to be in the discussion,’’ Tigers chief executive Brendon Gale told the Herald Sun.

An architect’s impression of how Punt Rd Oval would look as a 40,000-seat AFL venue, with a rejuvenated Richmond station as part of the master plan.

Former AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou was a key supporter of the plans when they were mooted in 2013 and the cost of an 18,000-seat stadium was put at $180 million.

A capacity increased to 40,000 would mean a blowout to an estimated $380 million.

It is understood senior AFL officials have seen architects’ drawings, revealed by the Herald Sun.

Funding would be expected to come from the AFL and the State Government and would not require the sale of Etihad Stadium, like the McGuire plan.

Gale said Punt Rd was an obvious choice for a third venue.

“We are in the process of developing a master plan for this precinct,” Gale said.

“Back in 2013, Demetriou was the driver of this and the attraction for them was having a lower capacity, lower cost stadium for smaller fixtures.

“And also stadium economics and finances are the biggest driver of disparity of wealth (among clubs) and we could try to address that by having a third venue.

“So, Andrew said ‘would you be interested in having a look at it for Punt Rd?’

“Punt Rd should be in the frame. It’s an existing venue, it wouldn’t require the selling of Etihad, and the Richmond railway station has been the agenda for a number of years and maybe this gives the government the opportunity to redevelop that.”

The debate ignited when Collingwood president McGuire suggested a new stadium on the Hisense Arena site prompted the Richmond senior management to put the Punt Rd plans back on the agenda at a meeting two weeks ago. The MCC was also briefed.

There is no State Government engagement as yet, but Gale believes Premier Daniel Andrews, who is also a supporter in principle of McGuire’s stadium plan, should be a substantial funds contributor.

“The economic impact of this game is huge, $3 billion, half a million members, how many fans are there in Victoria?’’ Gale said.

“This game is a huge driver of this economy. And I think we’re entitled to question the extent our government invests in football relative to other states.”

How a redeveloped Punt Rd Oval will look next to the MCG.

It is understood the AFL favours a refurbishment of Etihad Stadium rather than selling it and building at Hisense Arena, and Gale agrees.

“Our personal view is we keep Etihad Stadium,” he said.

“It’s going to be worth $1 billion and we’ve got an 18th share in that in 2026. It’s a huge asset for the competition.

“So, what’s attractive about this is the capacity of maybe 40,000, which would support the business models of some clubs.”

McGuire’s plan, which would cost an estimated $1 billion, has the support of several clubs and major events king Ron Walker.

But not everyone believes it would be the right move. Former Premier Jeff Kennett has said the idea was already “dead and buried”.

The Tigers have a lease at Punt Rd and would use it as club HQ and training ground.

They believe a redevelopment of the railway station, with a new stadium on the way to the MCG, would enhance one of the world’s best sporting precincts.

END

My initial thoughts are that it seems like a more feasible option and could be done overnight compared to Eddies grand plan. Leave the car/park as is though..

Not sure what Richmond's angle is? 40,000 would only cater for a handful of games themselves, such as RFC vs GC, GWS, Freo, etc.
After the afl deal ends with channel 7 and Etihad this stadium would be great. I believe that this stadium should be used for games like Richmond vs GWS or Footscray vs west coast. Leaving the MCG to teams drawing bigger crowds. Victorian teams should have a home ground as they only have to travel interstate like 5 times. Big games 35+ at the g and under at Richmond. Princess park could be used for Carlton small games if necessary

After the afl deal ends with channel 7 and Etihad this stadium would be great. I believe that this stadium should be used for games like Richmond vs GWS or Footscray vs west coast. Leaving the MCG to teams drawing bigger crowds. Victorian teams should have a home ground as they only have to travel interstate like 5 times. Big games 35+ at the g and under at Richmond. Princess park could be used for Carlton small games if necessary
Yeah Princes Park isn't beyond repair. The league prob don't like the idea with the lack of transport & parking, I can't see why not myself.

financed from Mums purse?

Great to see they have seamlessly integrated the 100+ year old Jack Dyer stand into the new designs :mad: Not a single word on heritage in that article FFS, and a little less of Yarra Park for every new generation it seems.

Think its a far better idea than the McGuire fantasy, but needs to be done right.

Let's assume Punt Road is untouchable, Brunton Avenue becomes an underpass and the new stand curls around from Richmond social club until it hits Punt Road. That's a huge arc and would have a large capacity. The Jack Dyer stand is retained and that iconic view of the terraces across punt road is also preserved, the little grassy strip on the Punt road side becomes 'The Hill'. Richmond station NW side then exits on the doorstep of the new stand, and there is no more russian roulette for everyone trying to get across Brunton av to the MCG as there is now.

Now wouldn't that be a unique, boutique venue? But no, they'll demolish everything and build a cookie cutter stadium sprawling over what's left of Yarra Park, and probably squeeze in another lane for Punt Rd and Brunton av. while they are at it. It's the Australian way.

Half the attraction for many people is having a beer at the Cricketers arms etc and heading past the old Jack Dyer stand on the way to the G.

There is no way they can knock down that stand.

Half the attraction for many people is having a beer at the Cricketers arms etc and heading past the old Jack Dyer stand on the way to the G.

If they were to redo the ground, then they'd have to. There just isn't enough space between the stand and Punt rd/Brunton ave for a stadium (the current Docklands sized ground goes virtually to the fence as it is). 'Best case' would be to disassemble the stand and rebuild it, but frankly it just isn't THAT iconic.

That said, I doubt it'll happen. After having had the Vic clubs buy it for them, the AFL wont want to lose 'their' ground at Docklands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The stand isn't protected or heritage listed. It can be knocked down without much issue as long as rfc and the council are happy with the replacement.

This is just academic though

Changes to PRO are back on the agenda it seems.

This being 8000 seats, and something to do with improving the access/appearance of Richmond train station (details seem sparse).

The implication would be a small stand on the Brunton avenue side of the ground (presumably over the road?) including some kind of elevated walkway from the station to the park (like the walkway over Brunton avenue at the G perhaps).

If your going to build a smaller stadium then do it in the outer suburbs. Take the game back to the fans and where the families live.

3 stadiums in Melbourne wouldn't be financially viable. Everybody knows that. Can't you remember clubs complaining about s**t financial returns at Docklands? Same thing will happen at a new stadium unless Docklands is sold. The Government isn't going to waste $380 million on another stadium. Will need private investors who will want a return.

If they were to redo the ground, then they'd have to. There just isn't enough space between the stand and Punt rd/Brunton ave for a stadium (the current Docklands sized ground goes virtually to the fence as it is). 'Best case' would be to disassemble the stand and rebuild it, but frankly it just isn't THAT iconic.

That said, I doubt it'll happen. After having had the Vic clubs buy it for them, the AFL wont want to lose 'their' ground at Docklands.
What would be interesting if Richmond get a AFLW team would they look at building a small venue at punt road! The Pies are slowly building a venue at the Olympic & Essendon has announced plans to expand their Tullamarine venue including a small stadium

What would be interesting if Richmond get a AFLW team would they look at building a small venue at punt road! The Pies are slowly building a venue at the Olympic & Essendon has announced plans to expand their Tullamarine venue including a small stadium

Thats the point of this proposal - a small venue for our vfl and hopefully aflw teams

I thought punt road was already hosting vfl games

It is, but we only have the jaxk dyer stand which is in need of a lot of work. Rest is standing room around the boundary. I know for a couple of games (us vs dons pre afl game off memory) we have had capacity maxed out, so we need some more capacity

Its why i think it will also fall over. I dont think the Gov will fund a neat little stadium for the Tigers that will seat too few to be of any use to the Government or anyone else.

We have other comm activities tied to it, but i forget the exact specifics. Off memory its the expansion of the kgi, our "high school", and our onsite course delivery with swinburne uni. Thats off a rusty mem though

If your going to build a smaller stadium then do it in the outer suburbs. Take the game back to the fans and where the families live.

3 stadiums in Melbourne wouldn't be financially viable. Everybody knows that. Can't you remember clubs complaining about s**t financial returns at Docklands? Same thing will happen at a new stadium unless Docklands is sold. The Government isn't going to waste $380 million on another stadium. Will need private investors who will want a return.

stadiums in the outer suburbs is definitely not the answer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back