Stats questions

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is the close games 1-18 not 0-18?
I simply copied (from) a few columns I considered relevant, out of a spreadsheet I maintain. There are many other categories in that part of the spreadsheet, with the likes of 13-24 Pts., 40 Pts. +, 100 Pts. +, and there's also one for draws!

If there had been any draws this season I would have included that column as well, as I do recognise that they are close games too!!!

Last edited:
I simply copied (from) a few columns I considered relevant, out of a spreadsheet I maintain. There are many other categories in that part of the spreadsheet, with the likes of 13-24 Pts., 40 Pts. +, 100 Pts. +, and there's also one for draws!

If there had been any draws this season I would have included that column as well, as I do recognise that they are close games as well!!!

but the other seasons

Question on how many goal reviews there have been to date in the AFL, which teams, the umpires decision, and the end result?

I am suspecting that this is sitting in an AFL computer somewhere, never to see the light of day, but I have my suspicions about the goal review system based on a very small sample size and I wanted to see if I could verify it on a larger scale before discussing.

This may have been asked and answered elsewhere,

Has anyone done a study on the % difference between games played at similar times to a Closed Etihad/Telstra/2ndMelbOval? ie does playing at the Dome with a closed roof help a team significantly over teams who play outdoors?

How does this round compare for close margins:

- two games decided by 1 point, and in both games the winning team kicked fewer goals?
3 - 1938 R13
2 - 2017 R14, 2004 R6, 1932 R10
- three games where the winning team kicked fewer goals?
3 - 1978 R14, 1938 R13
- four games decided by less than 1 goal?
4 - 2017 R14, 2016 R21, 1960 R13, 1938 R13

The 1938 round is famous for having four 1-point results from six games.

This may have been asked and answered elsewhere,

Has anyone done a study on the % difference between games played at similar times to a Closed Etihad/Telstra/2ndMelbOval? ie does playing at the Dome with a closed roof help a team significantly over teams who play outdoors?

Don't have the data. But the 'sunny' end yielded 17 goals, compared with 7 for the 'shady' end today.

There was a discussion stemmed from a question regarding players who have kicked 6 goals and had 30 disposals in a game. Michael Walters added to that small list with his performance yesterday.

Don Pyke has wins against 15 opponents in 32 games. The Crows need to defeat Geelong Rd 11 and the Bulldogs Rd 16 for a perfect start. Giving Pyke wins against all opponents (WAAO) after 39 games*

Fingers crossed

*forgot bye
Adelaide now need to defeat Geelong Round 18 to complete the set for Pyke. This will be his 41st game if achieved

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty sure this was asked (maybe me) but what's the biggest age gap between a player's 2 teammates?

Also, how many current players played either with or against those born in the '60's?
Did any 18 year olds play in the same team as Dustin Fletcher in 2015? A 22 year age difference would be hard to top. Though the 43 year old Vic Cumberland played a game for St Kilda in 1920, some of his teammates may have beaten that.

Think Alistair Lynch (born 1968) was the last player born in the 60s to play AFL. He retired at the end of 2004. Anyone who debuted before then may well have played against him. Shaun Burgoyne definitely did in the 2004 GF.

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

You're right with Lynchy being the last '60's born.

Dustin Fletcher's youngest teammate 2 years ago was Kyle Langford (over 21 years younger.)

In 1993, Fletch played alongside Tim Watson who's about 14 years older than him thus creating a 35 year age gap between Watson and Langford but I think there are plenty much bigger.

Fletcher is the largest gap I can find.

Robert Harvey played with Trevor Barker (born 1956) and Ben McEvoy (born 1989) - a gap of 33 years.
Craig Bradley played with Bruce Doull (born 1950) and Bret Thornton (born 1983) - a gap of 33 years.
Syd Barker played with Dick Condon (born 1876) and Billy Lynch (born 1909) - a gap of 33 years.
Vic Cumberland played with Ned Sutton (born 1868) and Billy Sarll (born 1899) - a gap of 31 years.
Bob Murphy played with Tony Liberatore (born 1966) and Bailey Williams (born 1997) - a gap of 31 years.

Last edited:
Robbie Tarrant plays 100th game this week, debuted in 2008.

Anyone know the slowest players to reach 100 games in years?
He's a fair way short of the record (from AFL Record Season 2017)!:-
LONGEST TO REACH CAREER GAME MILESTONES
100 PREMIERSHIP GAMES

Jim Jackson St K/Coll/Haw 16 years 36 days 1925
Dave McNamara St K 15 years 282 days 1921
Charlie Ricketts SM/Rich/St K 15 years 9 days 1921
Chris Kiernan Fitz 14 years 53 days 1911

Bill Proudfoot (Coll) was the oldest to reach the 100 game milestone at 36 years 35 days in 1904.

Robbie Tarrant plays 100th game this week, debuted in 2008.

Anyone know the slowest players to reach 100 games in years?
It was actually 2010 when he made his AFL debut. However, he was drafted at the end of 2007, so at the club from 2008 onwards.

He's a fair way short of the record (from AFL Record Season 2017)!:-
LONGEST TO REACH CAREER GAME MILESTONES
100 PREMIERSHIP GAMES

Jim Jackson St K/Coll/Haw 16 years 36 days 1925
Dave McNamara St K 15 years 282 days 1921
Charlie Ricketts SM/Rich/St K 15 years 9 days 1921
Chris Kiernan Fitz 14 years 53 days 1911

Bill Proudfoot (Coll) was the oldest to reach the 100 game milestone at 36 years 35 days in 1904.

Let's be honest, they're all ancient! How about Post War? Or Tarrant is the longest since.....?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back