Strategy Trade and List Management thread 3 (...The pining for the departed. Edition)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

People who think Adelaide will be looking to get two first rounders have to remember that he's out of contract. Two firsts is what you ask for when you have the leverage (Carlton with Gibbs). Adelaide will settle for a first and a second if he requests a trade. If they will accept that for DANGERFIELD they will accept it for Lever.

Dangerfield made it very clear he wasn't going anywhere else but Geelong, they had zero leverage. They may have some with Lever even if he chooses us, as there's a bunch of other clubs he might be ok moving to. Look at the Carlisle scenario, Essendon weren't happy with the trade offer from St Kilda and then Hawthorn came in and offered two first rounders. In the end St Kilda had to pay pick 5.

We don't exactly have the best relationship with Adelaide so they could easily play hardball.

Dangerfield made it very clear he wasn't going anywhere else but Geelong, they had zero leverage. They may have some with Lever even if he chooses us, as there's a bunch of other clubs he might be ok moving to. Look at the Carlisle scenario, Essendon weren't happy with the trade offer from St Kilda and then Hawthorn came in and offered two first rounders. In the end St Kilda had to pay pick 5.

We don't exactly have the best relationship with Adelaide so they could easily play hardball.

Fair point. I still think two firsts is overs for Lever though. For two firsts Id want Rance or Hurley.

If we do happen to get Lever who do we want to see developed forward permanently? I see literally all of Cordy, Adams, Lever and hopefully Young as potentially elite key defenders but they can't all fit down back (still pretty confident on Collins too) and while it's handy to have players who can swing forward I think we'd need one of those guys to develop there permanently. Whose got the most potential as a kpf?

Imagine a spine in 4 years with Adams, Lever, Cordy and Wood down back and Stringer, Boyd and Young up front with English in the midfield. That sounds ******* ridiculous!

If Lever chooses our offer, our first should be enough, especially if it's a single digit.

Tom Mitchell went for pick 16. Dangerfield went for 9 and 28. Lever ain't Dangerfield and he's out of contract.
If it pans out like that, gonna be some epic melts from the Camry's. Just read on their thread they'd do the deal with Pies if they got Pendles and the Pies' first or Pendles/Sidebottom combo. Good thing they're not at the trade table.

I'm not too bullish about our chances of getting Lever.
Hawthorn have lost Hodge, Grundy is surely on his last legs at Sydney and Geelong might not have Harry Taylor much longer.
If any of those clubs decide they want Lever we are toast.
Maybe it's just my pessimistic Dogs mode kicking in, but I can't recall a top line player who's chosen us.
Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this.
Our inability to back up the premiership (on the evidence so far) hasn't helped.

Hawthorn have lost Hodge, Grundy is surely on his last legs at Sydney and Geelong might not have Harry Taylor much longer.
Maybe it's just my pessimistic Dogs mode kicking in, but I can't recall a top line player who's chosen us.
Our inability to back up the premiership (on the evidence so far) hasn't helped.
1. Hawks don't have a first round pick this year. 2. Geelong don't have a first round pick this year, also doubt they have much cap space. Plus Geelong isn't exactly Melbourne, so it's not really home for Lever. 3. Again, Sydney isn't home for Lever.

Just embrace the notion of being a destination club.

Just embrace the notion of being a destination club.
Even during our Premiership window (2008-2010) we weren't really a massive destination club (Hall and Aker were older not prime players)
Feels odd seeing that we are, bring on the next 15 years of this group

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Potential 2018 back six
Jake Lever
Zaine Cordy
Lewis Young
Marcus Adams
Shane Biggs
Bailey Williams

Jj and Suckers on the wing

If we did get Lever I'd lean towards something like:

FB: Biggs - Cordy - Wood
HB: Lever - Young - Johannisen
C: Macrae - Bontempelli - Suckling
HF: Daniel - Boyd - Stringer
FF: Dickson - Adams - Dale
R: Roughead - Liberatore - McLean
I: Wallis - Dahlhaus - Hunter - Picken/Dunkley/Williams/Smith/Webb

Intercept marking fo' days.

Before 35 of his retirements, the best scrounging inside ruckman in the competition chose us, the People's Beard.

If we do happen to get Lever who do we want to see developed forward permanently? I see literally all of Cordy, Adams, Lever and hopefully Young as potentially elite key defenders but they can't all fit down back (still pretty confident on Collins too) and while it's handy to have players who can swing forward I think we'd need one of those guys to develop there permanently. Whose got the most potential as a kpf?

Imagine a spine in 4 years with Adams, Lever, Cordy and Wood down back and Stringer, Boyd and Young up front with English in the midfield. That sounds ******* ridiculous!

Young for mine. Think he could be a KPF beast in a few years.

If we end up with Lever, are we also paying a slight fee for the Crows' inside knowledge? Their transition into their forward line is lethal, wonder if we could pick his brain on that to try and help us improve in that area as well as getting Jake Lever the player on the field.

If we end up with Lever, are we also paying a slight fee for the Crows' inside knowledge? Their transition into their forward line is lethal, wonder if we could pick his brain on that to try and help us improve in that area as well as getting Jake Lever the player on the field.
We won the premiership with a half back line which dictated all the play. I'm not sure how much we could learn from Adelaide that we don't already know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back