Autopsy Round 17 2017 Sydney Swans vs Greater Western Sydney Giants. Things you learnt

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy is a bloody champion, get him a contract extension
That last papley goal he gave him, had to beat out 3 gws players to get that ball, he is a freak Wonder how many games we would win if he got injured long term

I reckon we'd manage. We've always looked best going forward when we lower our eyes for leading targets like Hewett, Heeney and Rohan, and/or when our mids rotate through the f50. We won a flag that way. Seems unimaginable but i genuinely reckon we'd be just as successful without Buddy

Learned that although the Swans hit up Franklin quite a bit, we still managed almost 100 points with Reid & Rohan having almost no impact whatsoever.

A lot of people are writing about the up turn in the Swans form thanks to Rampe, but they gloss over Papley and how good he's been in the midfield & forward line.
100% agree with this.
Who goes from bottom of the Rookie list to midfield in their second year and has such an influence?

Sat 13 May 4:35pm GWS v Collingwood Spotless Stadium 11360
Sat 20 May 4:35pm GWS v Richmond Spotless Stadium 10677
Sat 3 Jun 4:35pm GWS v Essendon Spotless Stadium 13671
Sat 1 Jul 7:25pm GWS v Geelong Spotless Stadium 15007

Average = 12,678

Sat 15 Jul 7:25pm GWS v Sydney Spotless Stadium 21924

That's just over 9,000 more than their average against the bigger Victorian sides. I'm not sure how many thousand those Victorian sides would have attending those games but I suspect there'd be close to 10,000 regular GWS attendees. They now have over 21,000 members. Therefore I suspect it may have been closer to 50;50 GWS;Swans supporters.
Please refrain from using facts, figures, and logical deduction on Big Footy.

We have our standards here, you know.

I reckon we'd manage. We've always looked best going forward when we lower our eyes for leading targets like Hewett, Heeney and Rohan, and/or when our mids rotate through the f50. We won a flag that way. Seems unimaginable but i genuinely reckon we'd be just as successful without Buddy
You cannot quantify the inspiration factor that Buddy brings.

100% agree with this.
Who goes from bottom of the Rookie list to midfield in their second year and has such an influence?

Not to mention only been held goalless 7 out of 33 games. That suggests he's consistently doing things right to impact the scoreboard and perform his role. His ceiling is very high

You cannot quantify the inspiration factor that Buddy brings.

Maybe. But i still reckon we'd be as good without him. Would take some adjusting but that is the only positive with long term injuries, you can mould the team differently. It's all hypothetical anyway

Maybe. But i still reckon we'd be as good without him. Would take some adjusting but that is the only positive with long term injuries, you can mould the team differently. It's all hypothetical anyway
Could we please not talk about what our side would be like without Buddy playing? It makes me sad and nervous :(

Which is confusing too because the Septics use "grouse" to mean "complain".

That we do.
TBH I've found few outside of Victoria that use "grouse" in Oz anyways.

Then again they also call main courses entrees. I think they may be the ones confused.

That's because pre-dinner serves are "Appetizers".

Cartman: You see Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call appetizers.
Starvin' Marvin: App-e-ti-zer.
Cartman: This is what you eat before you eat, to make you more hungry.
(Waiter brings main Course.)
Cartman: Food's here, that's it for the appetizers. (throws the appetizers in the trash)

I think you are dreaming

That's because pre-dinner serves are "Appetizers".

Cartman: You see Starvin' Marvin, these are what we call appetizers.
Starvin' Marvin: App-e-ti-zer.
Cartman: This is what you eat before you eat, to make you more hungry.
(Waiter brings main Course.)
Cartman: Food's here, that's it for the appetizers. (throws the appetizers in the trash)

Ah yes Appetizers. Those things we call Appetizers which come before entrees. :p

So off topic. :oops:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I finally got around to watching this match and although not our best game, I thought we played well generally. It was an ugly match, but these are the kind of games that a team needs to be able to win. The poor kicking at times (which is unfortunately all too common for the swans) was more than made up for by individual efforts and intensity both ways for 4 quarters. Two consecutive defensive spoils with ten seconds to go just about summed up the way the team went about it for the match and I found it a satisfying win in the end, against arguably the top contender for the flag.
I've found myself highly critical of the swans coaching over the last few years, but I feel that they have really got it right this season. We seem to be a lot more versatile in our game plan now and the proof is in the pudding. I don't usually talk footy a lot but I felt that I needed to express my pleasure and pride in the Sydney Swans this season.
Man, I was feeling so down about footy a month into the season. We'd been robbed of a flag the year previous and gone into 2017 riddled with injuries and a horror start to the season. The way that the team was turned it around from 0 and 6 to 9 and 7 has been phenomenal to watch. I'm reminded of a post match interview with Hannebery after our first or second win with him basically saying the team were embarrassed and that they knew they had a hard road ahead, but that they had made a pact with each other to play every game like it was sudden death. They are doing it. It feels like finals footy every week and I'm loving footy again. So exciting watching the way the boys are going about it each week. I love this team so bloody much.
I thought everyone made solid contributions tonight apart from Reid who looking injured to me. If I had to pick a player for BOG I'd have to go with Paps. He was immense. I love the understanding he and Franklin seem to have with each other and the combo seems stronger each week. I can only imagine them together in a year or two. Did I mention how excited I am about this teams possibilities?
The game plan was solid. we shut down their ability to spread from the infield and the defensive group did what they needed to. Yeah we were crap at times but so were they. We played better and harder though, for the whole match. We got the win we deserved. If we keep playing as a team that wants to win, no-one, not even the umps (was nice to get a few this week but) can stop us.

I believe in you Swannys!!
All the way with JPK!

I finally got around to watching this match and although not our best game, I thought we played well generally. It was an ugly match, but these are the kind of games that a team needs to be able to win. The poor kicking at times (which is unfortunately all too common for the swans) was more than made up for by individual efforts and intensity both ways for 4 quarters. Two consecutive defensive spoils with ten seconds to go just about summed up the way the team went about it for the match and I found it a satisfying win in the end, against arguably the top contender for the flag.
I've found myself highly critical of the swans coaching over the last few years, but I feel that they have really got it right this season. We seem to be a lot more versatile in our game plan now and the proof is in the pudding. I don't usually talk footy a lot but I felt that I needed to express my pleasure and pride in the Sydney Swans this season.
Man, I was feeling so down about footy a month into the season. We'd been robbed of a flag the year previous and gone into 2017 riddled with injuries and a horror start to the season. The way that the team was turned it around from 0 and 6 to 9 and 7 has been phenomenal to watch. I'm reminded of a post match interview with Hannebery after our first or second win with him basically saying the team were embarrassed and that they knew they had a hard road ahead, but that they had made a pact with each other to play every game like it was sudden death. They are doing it. It feels like finals footy every week and I'm loving footy again. So exciting watching the way the boys are going about it each week. I love this team so bloody much.
I thought everyone made solid contributions tonight apart from Reid who looking injured to me. If I had to pick a player for BOG I'd have to go with Paps. He was immense. I love the understanding he and Franklin seem to have with each other and the combo seems stronger each week. I can only imagine them together in a year or two. Did I mention how excited I am about this teams possibilities?
The game plan was solid. we shut down their ability to spread from the infield and the defensive group did what they needed to. Yeah we were crap at times but so were they. We played better and harder though, for the whole match. We got the win we deserved. If we keep playing as a team that wants to win, no-one, not even the umps (was nice to get a few this week but) can stop us.

I believe in you Swannys!!
All the way with JPK!
Very nice first up post! Welcome.

Remember seeing a graphic a few weeks ago On The Couch about the top 5 forward targets inside 50 on the league, was pleasantly surprised to see Buddy wasn't in there for once.

Yes we still go to him a fair bit, but just means we are choosing the right option more often this year.

Speaking of which, do they have a cheering soundtrack? From where I was sitting (near our cheer squad), the cheers for their goals seemed extremely loud for the amount of Giants fans, particularly in their members stands, so they must either have a backing cheer soundtrack or brilliant acoustics.

No, it's acoustics training - learning to project.

That's why their 3 supporters sounded like 3,000.

100% agree with this.
His tackle numbers have been huge too, so not only is he working his ass off, he's definitely having an impact.

He hasn't had the ball on a string the last few outings, but he isn't the sort of player to collect them like skulls anyway. Leave ball hog Tom Mitchell to that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back