List Mgmt. Re-Signing Jake Lever

For the last time, do you think Jake Lever will re-sign with Adelaide?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair enough he was steak knives but we could have got something better. Player or pick.

Considering our situation, anything better would have been a minor upgrade at best, and most likely not worth the extra time spent.

First thing you have to note is Dangerfield was uncontracted, PSD is a threat unless a team below Geelong decides to keep 800k+ free in their cap to pick him up. Of course we could have made moves to make this happen, but you run into issue number 2 as well as generally being the most difficult and likely to backfire path (especially considering i'm not sure when the cutoff date is working out salary cap payments for next season is).

The second and main issue player power. Clubs cannot trade a player without consent, and players can veto trades. It's all fine saying someone better, but the odds of that happening are remote and keeping the 1st and 2nd (which were the two main things we wanted, as the 1st was to get into a position to draft Milera and the 2nd was to be on traded for Menzel). Now, two years on, Milera is looking like a long term player and Menzel is in the right idea but unfortunately hasn't worked out basket. Gores part of the deal is steak knives and Gore at the time had shown he could potentially be an AFL player, a true sliding doors moment for him as he was in a good position at Geelong. For us Gore was a low risk prospect from SA that could potentially make it, but we weren't losing out on much if he doesn't, especially seeing his cost was practically pick 55.

There is a part of this deal that we read the writing on the wall early instead of ******* around for a week and a half to end up with the same result, as there wasn't any, to very little room to get more (in fact, it's more likely we'd get less as the buyer has the power in this scenario).

Lever is worth pick 2 in this draft so with the pick you have you'll have to start by offering 2017 1st and 2018 1st as a minimum
We shouldn't encourage them. They're differently bred in the western suburbs of Melbourne.

Yeah fair point mate, if we were to bring in Lewis Young as the replacement it would be a buy low sell high comparison .
I didnt see his game but if he could be somewhat comparable to Levers output then we couldn't be too unhappy as we would also likely have another first rounder and/or picks our sleeve like you say to secure another gun midfielder

Doesn't even have to be Lewis. You could get Otten to do the job, Doedee is a good overhead player or even find a cheapish player who could do the role.

It's an important role, but equally it can be done at a good level cheaply.

Not too much of a stretch to believe that.

Jake, you get more money if we go back home. And you want to stay because...?

We're the George Costanza in this negotiation. You can stay FURTHER away from home for LESS money.

"You know, the basic idea of negotiation - as I understand it - is to get your price to go up."

What we offer is we're in a window for a premiership, that's literally it.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Lever to be good trade bait either, seeing he's a position that can be filled by a less expensive player, and we can use him to help get a blue chip midfielder in.

Doesn't even have to be Lewis. You could get Otten to do the job, Doedee is a good overhead player or even find a cheapish player who could do the role.

It's an important role, but equally it can be done at a good level cheaply.

Doedee might be out of contract at years end does anyone know?

Doedee might be out of contract at years end does anyone know?

He is, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get another year.

Unfortunately, he's in a bit of a rock and a hard place, seeing he's mainly looking at defence, and ours is pretty stacked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My mail is we have another Mardi situation in the works where Jakes girlfriend wants to go to Melb. Apologies if this has come up before.
He's gone then. Once the wife/gf gets involved it's hard to say no (See Gibbs for another example).

Even if we manage to re-sign him for another 2-3 years he's still gonna bail like Danger.

Losing Lever frees up salary too.

If we lost Lever and he became the Bulldogs first and second and Lewis Young, and it gave us the salary room to resign everyone and sign Tom Rockliff - well, I wouldnt hate that.

Losing Lever frees up salary too.

If we lost Lever and he became the Bulldogs first and second and Lewis Young, and it gave us the salary room to resign everyone and sign Tom Rockliff - well, I wouldnt hate that.

Would rather throw every single cent at dusty did you see him on the weekend he is a freak

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Clubs don't lose every player who's not first 22 every week.

Players know who are deserving of opportunity and who are not. If they perceive there is lack of opportunity at one club then rival clubs will be in contact. A first round draft pick who hasn't yet played a league game and is from interstate would be the perfect candidate to gamble on and chase.
What loyalties does he owe Adelaide?
It's true clubs don't lose every player who's not in their first 22 but when your contract is up, you have obvious talent and you're not playing the temptation is there to look for greener pastures.
I hope he stays but until an announcement is made I'm worried, it reminds so much me of how we handled Gunston.

It is - we got Guv to sign on in his first year, same with Lever.
Tricky part comes in 2 years time
Burton had already signed on for an extra year. He has now signed on for an extra two on top of that. Burton has shown just as much in his second year as Lever has, yet you dont see him acting like a flog over renewing his contract. He has an SA girlfriend, and she isnt an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back