NEAFL 2017

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Come back Peanut. .....the haircut wasn't THAT BAD.....!

Well IMO humble opinion Ha, ha,

If you are a hair dresser its an easy fix but if you are mere mortal its an ordinary cut but very exclusive!!!!!!! There have been enough sooks on this site this year (WHICH I ADMIT I HAVE BEEN ONE OF THEM) I do agree come back Peanut, put your hat on as it fixes all!!!!!!

But now let me unload, if you have followed my posts over the years of history of NEAFL, I have been one of the most parochial supporters of the NEAFL model until I realised, just this year, that the AFL Clubs can now play their entire un-injured lists. I have sat through absolute pain, in watching my beloved Aspley Hornets (one of the only Non AFL Reserve Sides to win the NEAFL Grand final in any Format since the NEAFL inception) being shackled, smashed, outplayed, out coached, overrun, and anything else that starts with "o" apart from words that start in "f", by the two Queensland AFL reserve sides, that last year could not run out of their (which I can only assume was due to the Max 16 listed players rule) own shadow in the dark. 20+ Goal wins by the AFL reserve sides against a side who has the coach of the century, the most decorated NEAFL player in its history (I must admit that Matt Payne was away for these two losses but even if he, his Father, Brother and Mother played for Aspley and from all reports there is not much separating all of them from getting a kick, the result would have been much of the same.

So from me stuyd1, LAB, Justabaraker, Ally Craft, Thunderdoc, Chickka Ferguson and all others (who are plenty) over the years, who have cried that the NEAFL is a compromised competition wait for it _ I NOW AGREE - CRY, CRY, CRY - I was wrong.

Now how do we go about too fix it Mr AFL? Remembering its our (the supporters) money that finances this current charade - For a start, I am not sure if the finance guy at the AFLHQ works out the costs to send the Northern AFL reserve sides to all points North and South throughout the NEAFL Competition, in order to play in this now finally realised Compromised Competition, the costs for this in my meagre workings out, are not much different to send 2 teams to a destination rather than 1 (IE) seniors and Reserves to play at the one venue each week.

Based on this, IMO is it not time to have a Reserve Grade AFL Competition, so that all AFL reserve sides can get some real competition for their Reserve players????? Relate this then, to us real Northern AFL supporters would then have a true NEAFL Competition which = the emittance of the 4 Non AFL Reserve sides who play to win one week and play to see who can play the next. I understand that NSW has an excuse for non participation of the AFLNSW due to the 1 side currently in the NEAFL Competition, which everyone says their is no interest, I think this will be their excuse soon, to why they cant win an NRL state of origin series, but all jokes aside.

The current Non AFL - NEAFL sides IMO who are cash struck can't keep getting smashed by the current 4 AFL Reserve sides with 18+ full time listed AFL Footballers, who reside at clubs with abundant finances.

Current non professional but some might call semi professional players are sick of being smashed by full time professionals and even worse, poor standard star stuck umpires who see stars in the making instead of rules when making decisions as per those rules as set out in the rules book.

Its time to get fair dinkum or get out, which I fear a lot of current NEAFL clubs will do, which will leave the current completion as a lame duck and in critical need of care, which I hold grave fears for as to date it could be in a place too far gone to fix.

The word I am getting around all of the traps here in Brisbane and the Gold Coast is, if the AFL, via their reserve sides want whipping boys and therefor no competition in the current format, then they should increase their current academy's in such numbers to play amongst themselves, or be fair dinkum or bite the bullet and have a national AFL Reserve's competition, but don't kick the shite out of the local guys who are slightly compensated for the footy commitment requirements to play in the NEAFL, outside their normal 40hr a week full time job commitments, who just want to play footy at the highest level they can but with their mates, wether it be good or bad, but not be an all or end all position in their life.

Lets fix it before we loose it.

Your opinions on this above please???????????

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well IMO humble opinion Ha, ha,

If you are a hair dresser its an easy fix but if you are mere mortal its an ordinary cut but very exclusive!!!!!!! There have been enough sooks on this site this year (WHICH I ADMIT I HAVE BEEN ONE OF THEM) I do agree come back Peanut, put your hat on as it fixes all!!!!!!

But now let me unload, if you have followed my posts over the years of history of NEAFL, I have been one of the most parochial supporters of the NEAFL model until I realised, just this year, that the AFL Clubs can now play their entire un-injured lists. I have sat through absolute pain, in watching my beloved Aspley Hornets (one of the only Non AFL Reserve Sides to win the NEAFL Grand final in any Format since the NEAFL inception) being shackled, smashed, outplayed, out coached, overrun, and anything else that starts with "o" apart from words that start in "f", by the two Queensland AFL reserve sides, that last year could not run out of their (which I can only assume was due to the Max 16 listed players rule) own shadow in the dark. 20+ Goal wins by the AFL reserve sides against a side who has the coach of the century, the most decorated NEAFL player in its history (I must admit that Matt Payne was away for these two losses but even if he, his Father, Brother and Mother played for Aspley and from all reports there is not much separating all of them from getting a kick, the result would have been much of the same.

So from me stuyd1, LAB, Justabaraker, Ally Craft, Thunderdoc, Chickka Ferguson and all others (who are plenty) over the years, who have cried that the NEAFL is a compromised competition wait for it _ I NOW AGREE - CRY, CRY, CRY - I was wrong.

Now how do we go about too fix it Mr AFL? Remembering its our (the supporters) money that finances this current charade - For a start, I am not sure if the finance guy at the AFLHQ works out the costs to send the Northern AFL reserve sides to all points North and South throughout the NEAFL Competition, in order to play in this now finally realised Compromised Competition, the costs for this in my meagre workings out, are not much different to send 2 teams to a destination rather than 1 (IE) seniors and Reserves to play at the one venue each week.

Based on this, IMO is it not time to have a Reserve Grade AFL Competition, so that all AFL reserve sides can get some real competition for their Reserve players????? Relate this then, to us real Northern AFL supporters would then have a true NEAFL Competition which = the emittance of the 4 Non AFL Reserve sides who play to win one week and play to see who can play the next. I understand that NSW has an excuse for non participation of the AFLNSW due to the 1 side currently in the NEAFL Competition, which everyone says their is no interest, I think this will be their excuse soon, to why they cant win an NRL state of origin series, but all jokes aside.

The current Non AFL - NEAFL sides IMO who are cash struck can't keep getting smashed by the current 4 AFL Reserve sides with 18+ full time listed AFL Footballers, who reside at clubs with abundant finances.

Current non professional but some might call semi professional players are sick of being smashed by full time professionals and even worse, poor standard star stuck umpires who see stars in the making instead of rules when making decisions as per those rules as set out in the rules book.

Its time to get fair dinkum or get out, which I fear a lot of current NEAFL clubs will do, which will leave the current completion as a lame duck and in critical need of care, which I hold grave fears for as to date it could be in a place too far gone to fix.

The word I am getting around all of the traps here in Brisbane and the Gold Coast is, if the AFL, via their reserve sides want whipping boys and therefor no competition in the current format, then they should increase their current academy's in such numbers to play amongst themselves, or be fair dinkum or bite the bullet and have a national AFL Reserve's competition, but don't kick the shite out of the local guys who are slightly compensated for the footy commitment requirements to play in the NEAFL, outside their normal 40hr a week full time job commitments, who just want to play footy at the highest level they can but with their mates, wether it be good or bad, but not be an all or end all position in their life.

Lets fix it before we loose it.

Your opinions on this above please???????????
I agree with a lot of what you say Billy. Some of the best games this year have been between the non-AFL sides. I was at the Redlands v Aspley game and that was a cracker. The result was a few goals in the end but both teams were going flat out until the final siren. I also watched Lions v Suns reserves at Metricon and that was total meh. Was hard to stay interested. Teams looked to be just going through the motions. There are a number of problems with having the AFL reserves eventuate though which I dont think the AFL will address. AFL team lists would need to be bigger, thus the salary cap higher, and then that involves the CBA, which having just signed a new one, wont get looked at for another 3 years. The expense for the AFL would be much, much higher when all the travel and other associated costs are taken into account. Then there are scheduling issues, with timeslots etc, which can be difficult. And how much interest would the casual fan have in the AFL reserves comp? Probably none, which the AFL aren't interested in. There would also be question marks over the grounds handling 2 games, especially if it is wet. And if the reserves were to play first, the AFL teams are then playing on a torn up ground. This can raise a number of questions and problems, one being increased risk of injury to the highest paid star players. I do think that there should be a genuine national AFL reserves comp, but unfotunately I don't see it happening any time soon.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Whatever you did Peanut, you were mistreated, and it's good to have you back.
You're pretty smart for a Peanut, and I like what you wrote in the previous post. I'm with you.

BB, you're looking for ideas on how our community NEAFL teams can play in a non-compromised comp against comparable teams.
Well, I don't know and I don't think that anyone else does either. It's the "tyranny of distance" that makes it so hard to gather together lower-tier players from around the country in one forum. The AFL would say that what we have in NEAFL is the best available, in the circumstances. I'm betting that the AFL has no interest at all in NEAFL being a level playing field.
It's the best option available for AFL reserve teams to have someone to play against each week. It's the worst of all possible options.....apart from all the others.
And I suppose that NEAFL gives good community footballers the chance to play at the best available level AND it gives community coaches, administrators, umpires, support staff and fundraisers the opportunity to operate at the best available level too.
So we either enjoy NEAFL with all its flaws, or else we follow the AFL, or drop back to follow suburban footy. We did this before there was a NEAFL, and we can do it again.

Last edited:

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
Tipping ladder after Round 16

GRIMLOCK..........................52......4......56
STUYD...............................51.......3.....54
ALLYCRAFT.........................48......4......52
PEANUT.............................47...(x)3.....50
JUSTABARAKER..................42.....4.......46

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
ROUND 17
Southport v Gold Coast
Sydney Uni v Giants
Swans v NT Thunder
Brisbane v Redland

MY TIPS:-
Gold Coast
Sydney Uni
Swans
Brisbane

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Whatever you did Peanut, you were mistreated, and it's good to have you back.
You're pretty smart for a Peanut, and I like what you wrote in the previous post. I'm with you.

BB, you're looking for ideas on how our community NEAFL teams can play in a non-compromised comp against comparable teams.
Well, I don't know and I don't think that anyone else does either. It's the "tyranny of distance" that makes it so hard to gather together lower-tier players from around the country in one forum. The AFL would say that what we have in NEAFL is the best available, in the circumstances. I'm betting that the AFL has no interest at all in NEAFL being a level playing field.
It's the best option available for AFL reserve teams to have someone to play against each week. It's the worst of all possible options.....apart from all the others.
And I suppose that NEAFL gives good community footballers the chance to play at the best available level AND it gives community coaches, administrators, umpires, support staff and fundraisers the opportunity to operate at the best available level too.
So we either enjoy NEAFL with all its flaws, or else we follow the AFL, or drop back to follow suburban footy. We did this before there was a NEAFL, and we can do it again.

Billy, Justabaraker is right here .
Too late to change much. AFL Reserves aren't going to happen any time soon, NEAFL clubs have signed for another three years it will be business as usual. But sadly it is flawed, I have said before that the AFL should not run the Professional League and Administrate Grass Roots football it is a conflict of interests. AFL executives who represent every level of the game are way out of touch, some think they are are rock stars or business magnates by the look of it. AFLPA and Player Managers have more say over the game than the Thousands of Volunteers that the game sits on top of and continually squeezes for more dollars.
More sadly VFL clubs like Frankston and Nth Ballarat are being read their last rites and Port Melbourne is on life support, if the AFL Executive have any sort of strategic plan they better share it quickly as I am not sure this is going to end up nicely, if you keep raping the golden goose it may stop laying the golden eggs.

Last edited:

billybunter

Team Captain
Mar 12, 2012
Caboolture
AFL Club
Fremantle
Billy, Justabraker is right here .
Too late to change much. AFL Reserves aren't going to happen any time soon, NEAFL clubs have signed for another three years it will be business as usual. But sadly it is flawed, I have said before that the AFL should not run the Professional League and Administrate Grass Roots football it is a conflict of interests. AFL executives who represent every level of the game are way out of touch, some think they are are rock stars or business magnates by the look of it. AFLPA and Player Managers have more say over the game than the Thousands of Volunteers that the game sits on top of and continually squeezes for more dollars.
More sadly VFL clubs like Frankston and Nth Ballarat are being read their last rites and Port Melbourne is on life support, if the AFL Executive have any sort of strategic plan they better share it quickly because I am not sure this is going to end up nicely because if you keep raping the golden goose it may stop laying eggs.

Yes LAB I can only agree with your, Peanut's and Justabaraka's comments regarding the AFL's position currently for the NEAFL Competition, but surely player parity for all of the players in the Comp should be paramount, AFL reserve sides winning most games they play against the Non AFL Reserve sides by 100+ points is not a real or fair competition for their players either, bearing in mind the AFL reserve players get picked on form to be included into the seniors each week (maybe that's why the Suns and the Lions in the least are struggling each week to win at the senior level). IMO as that Parity of the results grows, the Non AFL NEAFL Clubs will need to increase their payments and further incentives to players to retain their current players and to further increase their playing stocks to compete, or IMO, it will be a mass exodus of current NEAFL players heading back to the suburbs to play grass roots footy once again (I hear the drums beating already around Brisbane). This if it happens, it will turn the NEAFL into a very young aged basis of just out of junior football players comp, competing against the AFL Clubs with the score results being much, much grater than the current case.

Maybe we can get the NEAFL Comp back to the junior days where all AFL reserve Sides (while playing suburban sides) wear coloured armbands, with their forwards, midfielders and backline players only allowed in their certain allocated zones - The wheel would then have turned full circle!!!!!!!

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
One thing I will add, is even though the comp this year has been pretty much dominated by the AFL reserve sides, imagine how one sided it would be if GWS's whole list hadn't been completely ravaged by injury. No one would touch them. Is that what we possibly have to look forward to next year ??

May 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
One thing I will add, is even though the comp this year has been pretty much dominated by the AFL reserve sides, imagine how one sided it would be if GWS's whole list hadn't been completely ravaged by injury. No one would touch them. Is that what we possibly have to look forward to next year ??

I would like to see all the AFL Reserves sides play each other 4 times a season, not 3 [ they are more about developing than winning] and play all none AFL clubs once.That would give them their 18 games, Non AFL clubs play each other twice maybe 1 a third time and the 4 AFL clubs just once. This would certainly even up the competition, just my thoughts?

Ally Craft

Senior List
Mar 20, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
I would like to see all the AFL Reserves sides play each other 4 times a season, not 3 [ they are more about developing than winning] and play all none AFL clubs once.That would give them their 18 games, Non AFL clubs play each other twice maybe 1 a third time and the 4 AFL clubs just once. This would certainly even up the competition, just my thoughts?
Good suggestion Seymour.
I watched the 2nd half of Canberra v Southport and enjoyed the game. Both sides were more or less equal talent-wise, there was a pretty good crowd, it seemed that although the Dees won Southport were always in it which is what I like....ie a contest. Skills were pretty good etc etc.. a yes from me for NEAFL at the community level.
The problem seems to be with the AFL clubs and the number of AFL players they can use. Obviously they want as many of their players playing together as often as possible. Thats fine against other AFL clubs but it (also obviously!) doesnt work against the community clubs.
the southern states ie Vic, SA clearly have more talent at the state level than QLD and NSW does. Thats why Willie and Port Melbourne and others have been successful. The simple reason those clubs will struggle into the future is $$$.
Solution? I dont see any simple one.
I know of 2 blokes at the Dees who have been offered $1500 per game to play country NSW footy in a pretty ordinary comp, training 2 times a week and only playing 16 games plus finals. pretty tempting i imagine.

justabaraker

All Australian
Mar 28, 2012
cherrybrook
AFL Club
GWS
I know of 2 blokes at the Dees who have been offered $1500 per game to play country NSW footy in a pretty ordinary comp, training 2 times a week and only playing 16 games plus finals. pretty tempting i imagine.

Yeah, but do they get paid in money, or in books of raffle tickets ?

I can imagine that if those guys live in Canberra then they have to make the big trip south three times a week (2x training sessions plus a match). Done it myself and I know it's a real grind.
I'd rather be stranded in the permafrost of Canberra and be able to go home early to a warm fire and a friendly bottle.

Dogwarna

Team Captain
Sep 30, 2012
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The NEAFL met with the clubs over the last month and there thoughts are the NEAFL is in a really good position at the moment..all the community clubs fell off there chairs!!! I think the meeting was around the weekend where all the community clubs got spanked by 100 by the AFL clubs

Lifes a Beach1

Team Captain
Jul 17, 2013
Northcliffe
AFL Club
Gold Coast
ditto boys...strongest, most balanced and fierce competitors ive seen not playing AFL
Absolute gun he added to the QAFL along with the Thunder before it became the NEAFL.Pleasure to watch him go about his craft one of the best to have played IMO, I would say in this modern era.Along with a couple of others could never understand why he didn't play AFL.

Back