Analysis The Matt Taberner effect

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn't mind seeing something like this before the year is out.

Walters - Cox - Bennell
Ballas - Tabs - McCarthy

I think Ballantyne's spot would be a little shaky. He hasn't addressed his 'falling down' issues yet and while I love his aggression and drive, he's just not anything like he used to be. At his best, he's fantastic but lately he's just not getting there.

I think Taberner has to come in , I mean at the moment who else have we got, Kersten & McCarthy have gone backwards. I haven't lost faith that the Tabs will get there, 199cm 97kg,that's one big unit who is very agile, has a big tank ,can take a contested mark and his kicking has almost become elite. I think it's a confidence thing but he needs to get some agro in him and become a lot more contested at the ball and opposition. I was looking at the WAFL and currently Liam Ryan ( whom a lot of supporters think we should grab) ,is on top of the goal kicking with 46 goals after for 15 games( aver. goals = 3 ), second is Blaine Johnson for 41 goals ( aver goals = 2.73.) Taberner is in 8th position but has only played 11 games for a total pf 31 goals ( aver = 2.8 ). He is clearly second on average and only very marginally behind Ryan. He's only just turned 24 yrs old and tall players take a while to develop , he's starting to kick more than a few goals a game. Bring him back and leave him in until the end of the year, let him get his confidence and settle in the team and believe he is part of it for the long haul.

Let's be honest here. It's unlikely that Tabs will ever be a Pav level forward. But we don't need a Coleman medalist contender to improve our forward line.
What do we really need at the moment?

1) one tall target in FF to contest those high deep forward 50 entries we are so keen to keep kicking. We don't even need him to mark the ball. Just bring it to ground and let Walters, Ballantyne, McCarthy or Kersten do their stuff.

2) one tall target to provide a relief outside our defensive 50 if we can't find a way out and need a long kick to the boundary. If he take a contested mark, bang we are out and can start running. At the very least, provide a contest and bring it out to the boundary. Let Sandilands and Darcy do the rest.

Of course, there are better players out in the AFL now. If Kennedy or Cameron actually want come to us, throw the entire kitchen sink at him as he will immediately make us a top 4 team.
At the moment, Taberner will do the job and fill a gap we really need to be filled. McCarthy and Kersten are not really that kind of forward. Seeing Ballantyne or Walters challenge a high ball to the top of the square is really painful. Without a tall strong contest forward, we are just playing with our shoelaces tied together.
I genuinely hope that the extended time Tabs is spending in the WAFL is an investment we are making for him to develop the necessary confidences and skills needed to succeed in AFL.

Lyon was asked about Taberner's performances over the last two weeks and had this to say:

"Matt Taberner has had two really big weeks in the WAFL, do you have a look at him again?
Well that’s where it’s all debatable. I was there yesterday and what you think are big weeks and what I think are big weeks are often different. But again I will discuss that with our development team. If you just go on raw numbers, goals kicked then you would say they were big weeks but there’s a lot of other things to come into play. Matt is growing, he is a fierce preparer. We will have a look at it though." (copied from the Q&A from the post match interview)

So what improvement is Lyon looking for in Tabs? Clearly his goal finishing has been good over the last two weeks, but the hint is that is not good enough.

Is he running enough? Providing a contest over the four quarters? Not dropping his head when things aren't going right? Playing to team rules? I'm fairly confident that Tabs knows what he has to do to get a good shot at establishing himself (all the talk is that players gets robust honest feedback)

39 goals so far, sure most of those are WAFL, but can only kick in the competition you are in.

5.0 vs E Freo
4.2 vs Subiaco
4.1 against Essendon
6.0 last week against West Perth
5.0 this last game against East Perth.

if only we had someone in the forward line who knew where the goals were...
So that's 15 goals from the rest if the season, which confirms the argument that he plays the occasional good game and spuds it up the rest.

So that's 15 goals from the rest if the season, which confirms the argument that he plays the occasional good game and spuds it up the rest.

Kicked a goal in every WAFL game. Kicked multiple goals (2+) in 7 of 11 Peel games.
Only game he got donuts in this season has been the Adelaide game when the whole team forgot to show up.

I think saying he has been spudding it up in the WAFL is a bad call. He may very well be one of the 'too good for WAFL' not good enough for AFL but there is no way in hell he is any worse than what Kersten and McCarthy have been dishing up over the past 6 weeks.

upload_2017-7-17_23-33-13.png
upload_2017-7-17_23-35-14.png

So what improvement is Lyon looking for in Tabs? Clearly his goal finishing has been good over the last two weeks, but the hint is that is not good enough.

Is he running enough? Providing a contest over the four quarters? Not dropping his head when things aren't going right? Playing to team rules? I'm fairly confident that Tabs knows what he has to do to get a good shot at establishing himself (all the talk is that players gets robust honest feedback)

Going by why he was dropped and Taberner's interview over the weekend, I think they are looking for him to improve his ruckwork.

That's fair enough, his ruckwork needs improving. But it still doesn't explain why he isn't being picked as a forward right now. Because Shane Kersten is and he can't ruck either.

Some players just can't get their heads around a game plan. Lots have been left behind because of it. In the WAFL its minimal game plan , see ball ,get ball . Out muscle your opponent with out the blocking etc . Not saying Tabs is one of those players but maybe he needs more time to grasp playing to a plan.

Pleased that Taberner backed it up on the weekend.

Do it again I say
This is where football is a little like gambling....
Tabs plays WAFL and for whatever reason,doesnt play well....people will be like "Well its good we didnt pick him for the seniors...to inconsistent".
Tabs plays WAFL and has a blinder....people melt because he didnt play seniors.
Tabs plays Seniors, has a stinker....people "Useless spud...good WAFL player, spud at AFL level".
Tabs plays seniors has a great game...some people "See!!" or others "Do it again to prove its not a fluke".

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesnt :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice little report in the West today about him still being passionate about being good enough to play AFL, loving the club and wanting to stay. The correct thing he said is that if his form stays good and consistent the rest will look after itself.
Maybe he should have shown some passion when playing.

The last sentence there is a classic shoulder shrug cliche. Who cares?

His time has gone.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

This is where football is a little like gambling....
Tabs plays WAFL and for whatever reason,doesnt play well....people will be like "Well its good we didnt pick him for the seniors...to inconsistent".
Tabs plays WAFL and has a blinder....people melt because he didnt play seniors.
Tabs plays Seniors, has a stinker....people "Useless spud...good WAFL player, spud at AFL level".
Tabs plays seniors has a great game...some people "See!!" or others "Do it again to prove its not a fluke".

Damned if he does. Damned if he doesnt :(
No. He's just s**t.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As Vic mitchie.
Or Sam Menegola, or Michael Barlow, or even James Podsiadly who didn't get a game of AFL until he was 28 after being selected in the VFL team of the year 4 times! Contested marking is at a premium these days, especially at Fremantle with Pav gone and Sandi missing. Fremantle has 3 players in the top 50 for avge CMs, Sandi who's gone for the season, Fyfe who's ranked 28th and, Taberner ranked 9th! West Coast have 5 players in the top 50, including the top two in Kennedy and McGovern. Taberner is also inside our top 10 in the Coaches Votes. Unusual for someone who has showed this much potential but is clearly inconsistent, to play 5 games out of a possible 16 when he has been fit and available for the whole season. He's also relatively young for a KPF (same age as Kersten). The argument for playing guys who are inconsistent because it enables them to develop (Tucker, Hughes, Logue, Ryan etc and Kersten himself) doesn't seem to apply to Tabs. I rate the guy because he has the tools both physically and athletically. Hope he gets a few games between now and the end of the season........

Or Sam Menegola, or Michael Barlow, or even James Podsiadly who didn't get a game of AFL until he was 28 after being selected in the VFL team of the year 4 times! Contested marking is at a premium these days, especially at Fremantle with Pav gone and Sandi missing. Fremantle has 3 players in the top 50 for avge CMs, Sandi who's gone for the season, Fyfe who's ranked 28th and, Taberner ranked 9th! West Coast have 5 players in the top 50, including the top two in Kennedy and McGovern. Taberner is also inside our top 10 in the Coaches Votes. Unusual for someone who has showed this much potential but is clearly inconsistent, to play 5 games out of a possible 16 when he has been fit and available for the whole season. He's also relatively young for a KPF (same age as Kersten). The argument for playing guys who are inconsistent because it enables them to develop (Tucker, Hughes, Logue, Ryan etc and Kersten himself) doesn't seem to apply to Tabs. I rate the guy because he has the tools both physically and athletically. Hope he gets a few games between now and the end of the season........
That is the reason he need to go , if you rated tab isn't it better for him to have a career elsewhere rather than with peel. Kersten is damn lazy compare to Tab .

I think Ross's words in the press conference were telling described Tabs as a "fierce preparer"... unusual words. I have heard of a fierce competitor but a fierce preparer. Read between the lines I think the message might be he needs to compete harder. Same goes for Kersten and CamMac imo.

He needs mongrel - flatten a few people and crunch some packs. Opposition defenders need to be anxious about where he is around them
That's part of the problem when you recruit for nice guys. The only guy with real mongrel on our list is Dawson.
Guys Grey, APearce, Darcey, Sonny, are fierce competitors, but I wouldn't say they have mongrel. Half mongrel, maybe.

What do you base this on?
After Round 5 . Kersten is smart( taking short cut ) , Tab not so as a footballer . If Mitch available, I will quickly dispose Kersten as a third tall.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back