Mega Thread 2017 Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bottom line is, I enjoy watching Freo press conferences. Which I didn't in Harvey's time. Of the other coaches, Beveridge often has good interesting conferences, but I can't think of too many others that have, unless the game was a train wreck.

The Bevo line with the poker face when asked if Minson will play the following week well forever be remembered!

"Thats going to be tough mate, he's retired" & the "you didn't know that?... Sorry" is right up there but doesn't quiet roll off the tongue like "your awesome shane" but excellant none the less.

Give me a break . I can't believe any one would give a flying fart if a coach seemingly upsets the feelings one of the darlings of the media. FFS go and read the trashy headlines when one of the coaches is in trouble job wise.
I don't agree with you on this, Salim. The media influence game outcomes and the general approach to players quite a bit I think, through the umps and the MRP. The Bullies were the media darlings last year in the finals and received very favourable umpiring which got them over the line in the Prelim, and maybe the Grand Final as well. The media turned Crowls into a villain, although he was never dirty, which led to pinchgate and any number of undeserved frees against, and Hodge and Selwood into "good blokes" despite being spiteful players (outstanding players as well).

I feel the club could do with wooing the media a little more, and there might be some benefit.

I don't agree with you on this, Salim. The media influence game outcomes and the general approach to players quite a bit I think, through the umps and the MRP. The Bullies were the media darlings last year in the finals and received very favourable umpiring which got them over the line in the Prelim, and maybe the Grand Final as well. The media turned Crowls into a villain, although he was never dirty, which led to pinchgate and any number of undeserved frees against, and Hodge and Selwood into "good blokes" despite being spiteful players (outstanding players as well).

I feel the club could do with wooing the media a little more, and there might be some benefit.
We talk about "the media" as if it is a single entity, whereas in fact it is made up of hundreds of individuals, each with varying degrees of integrity, competence and impartiality. You can woo them to your heart's content but as soon as they see an opportunity to sell a bad news story they will turn on you like a pack of rabid dogs.

That is the industry - bad news and scandal sells, good news (and good guys) is boring to everyone but the parties involved. Just look at how much we enjoy reading a bad news story about the Eagles and vice versa :)

Just saw Brendan Foster doing a presser at Parliament. Rude head.

And a even more pathetic article whining about not been able to get a story out of the new government. I don't know Brendon perhaps if you didn't have massive bias when it comes to footy and your other stories someone might want to speak to you.

He dislikes everything. He has always loved an easy target.
Shane Strempel likes this.

He sent us on a lap and we came back and there was a bunch of boxing gloves on the ground and so we were all thinking, you know well something's going on here and Rob had some really interesting training drills at the best of times, but this was something a bit different. And he picked eight of the biggest blokes that played, fortunately I wasn't very big so I didn't get picked, and sent Shane in the middle and said look, this is maybe the only way we're going to get some respect from you or the players and sent one at a time in for two minute rounds.

So, the first round was obviously an even fight because Shane was up to it and he was a big bloke himself and could box but by the time two and three came around it was tough for him to even hold his arms up so it became a battle from thereon in.

Last edited:
I know the arselicking fest of the Eagles by channel 7 is nothing new, but had to laugh this morning on the news that they are still reporting about the fantastic derby win but not one mention of Fyfe's new contract.

Could you imagine if Nic Nat signed a 6 year contract renewal?

I know the arselicking fest of the Eagles by channel 7 is nothing new, but had to laugh this morning on the news that they are still reporting about the fantastic derby win but not one mention of Fyfe's new contract.

Had a good laugh at the West's match report of West Coast "soaring" into the top 8

Aka moving from 9th to 8th.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How was the fizz fest when Nic Nat flew to the US to basically use a kids jungle gym.

Ross's presser today.

One journo (sounded like Barich) suggesting that there is no incentive for us to win against the Hawks and that we should play more youth. Ross points out that there are only two such players left on our list.

This game is generally being reported as Freo have no hope of playing finals and this is Hawthorn's last gasp at staying in the race for top 8. Yet we are one win ahead of them. If they win they only end up level with us and a percentage hardly much better than ours. Yet they are still somehow a chance, and we are wasting our time trying to win and should be tanking for a better draft pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back