List Mgmt. Bringing them home! - Updated 14/Jun/2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well Gold Coast have 4 2nd rounders and we don't have any.

Would we consider giving up our 2018 first?

Something like 2018 first for Matera, Schofeld and one of their 2nd rounders? I mean would they even consider this? Am I one eyed? Are we selling the future? Hard to see how we could get a draft pick to suit them for 2017 and they simply wouldn't want it if below a 2nd round anyway... which we don't have.

You'd hope we finished close to finals, so say we finished 10th in 2018. Essentially we're giving up 2018 pick 8 for Matera, Schofeld and say 2017 pick 24.

Very hard to see how else we generate anything worthy unless we get some currency from our own youngsters who may want out.

Obviously a future 2nd for Matera on its own is probably right on the money, but I also think Freo will need to create more bang for their buck on this one and trying to re-enter the second round for 2017 would also be a priority.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dont want Matera. Happy to bump his price for meth coasts sake but id rather Walters, Bennell, Langdon and Tucker being the smalls rotating through the forward 50. Fingers crossed

2018 is supposedly going to be a bumper draft. No one is going to be willing to give up their first pick.

Something like 2018 first for Matera, Schofeld and one of their 2nd rounders? I mean would they even consider this? Am I one eyed? Are we selling the future? Hard to see how we could get a draft pick to suit them for 2017 and they simply wouldn't want it if below a 2nd round anyway... which we don't have.

You'd hope we finished close to finals, so say we finished 10th in 2018. Essentially we're giving up 2018 pick 8 for Matera, Schofeld and say 2017 pick 24.

Very hard to see how else we generate anything worthy unless we get some currency from our own youngsters who may want out.

Obviously a future 2nd for Matera on its own is probably right on the money, but I also think Freo will need to create more bang for their buck on this one and trying to re-enter the second round for 2017 would also be a priority.
I reckon GC would bite our hand off at that deal. I for one would be livid if we did that.

Dont want Matera. Happy to bump his price for meth coasts sake but id rather Walters, Bennell, Langdon and Tucker being the smalls rotating through the forward 50. Fingers crossed
Bennell looks like he will always play significant forward minutes to manage his calves. Sonny is a JET midfielder now. The two of them should be swapping mid/for. If Harley was ever confident enough I would want both 70/30 mid forward because they can do much more damage from the middle.

Not sure I can see Ed or Darcy as semi-permanent forwards. If we are honest, Matera is a more talented forward than either. He also seems lazy and injury prone so I would hope any offers we make take this into account.

Thanks.

So how long is it again to be a free agent, I check and he's been there 8 years.
The Suns joined the AFL in 2011 so this is their 7th season. In 2010, they had a development team in the VFL which Brandon Matera played after he was an underage recruit at the end of 2009

So he's been with Gold Coast for 8 years but has only been an AFL player for 7, so not a free agent

I reckon GC would bite our hand off at that deal. I for one would be livid if we did that.

Yeah I kind of just threw out an idea without really thinking it over. First rounders should primarily be involved in securing first class players (so yep you're right). My main idea was how to get one of GC's 2nd rounders as they have 4 of them. Matera is probably worth a late second at best and we don't have a second rounder. So how could we secure Matera and one of their second rounders without compromising our 2017 position. Only logical option is 2018 draft picks or players unlikely to have value or want to go to GC. Always an interesting time of year and think we'll find creative ways to go about it.

I'm of the "we need the drafts best power forward" persuasion.

But, if we needed to do any trading of picks, Gold Coast and Freo have dealt fairly with each other - and geez, tapping into a few second rounders (and rubbish picks for them such as 3rd/4th etc) isn't the worst thing to do.

Yeah I kind of just threw out an idea without really thinking it over. First rounders should primarily be involved in securing first class players (so yep you're right). My main idea was how to get one of GC's 2nd rounders as they have 4 of them. Matera is probably worth a late second at best and we don't have a second rounder. So how could we secure Matera and one of their second rounders without compromising our 2017 position. Only logical option is 2018 draft picks or players unlikely to have value or want to go to GC. Always an interesting time of year and think we'll find creative ways to go about it.
I was hopeful we could extract some second rounders off them last year. I reckon we will be after one this year too. We seem to have a good trade rapport with them. Probably because we keep giving up picks in the top 25 for picks in the 30s and 40s.

I think we will see our 2018 second moved on again this year. Not sure I want to given the "super draft" but I swear we here that every year.

The Suns joined the AFL in 2011 so this is their 7th season. In 2010, they had a development team in the VFL which Brandon Matera played after he was an underage recruit at the end of 2009

So he's been with Gold Coast for 8 years but has only been an AFL player for 7, so not a free agent

Technically it's from when they were eligible to be drafted

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-04-10/suns-knocking-on-free-agency-door

"GOLD Coast talls Charlie Dixon, Rory Thompson and Zac Smith could become free agents at the end of next season after just six years in the AFL, while teammate Danny Stanley could become eligible after seven years' senior service at his second club.

Given free agency's minimum eligibility period is eight years and Gold Coast did not enter the competition until 2011, no other Suns will qualify until 2018 at the earliest.

However, AFL.com.au understands Dixon, Thompson and Smith will be deemed to have completed eight years at the Suns if they play there to the end of next season because they were eligible for the 2008 national draft but bypassed it to sign with Gold Coast.

Six other current Suns played in the club's 2010 VFL team but that year will not count towards their free agency service.
Five of those players – Brandon Matera, Trent McKenzie, Tom Nicholls, Matt Shaw and Luke Russell – were among the 17-year-old concession picks the Suns took ahead of the 2010 draft."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back