Michael Voss

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Voss has done a great job with a revamped midfield this year. But let's not kid ourselves: personnel wise this group is so much better than last year. Having Ryder in for Trengove makes everything easier, because the mids are able to be a lot more aggressive as opposed to reactionary.

That brown hair throws me a bit.

525441-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

2015 our midfield struggled, limited injuries i recall, but we had Lobbe severely out of form. Last year Ryder was rubbed out, clearly our midfield requires a winning ruck

ITT;

our midfield struggles = sack Voss
our midfield dominates = it's the players
I've never said sack Voss but its got a lot to do with the players.From The Ryder thread and the stats in last Friday's Game On section of the 'Tsier

THE RYDER FACTOR
How Port Adelaide has improved with Patrick Ryder’s return to lead the ruck.
Team hit-outs
2016 —
ranked 18th (last)
2017 — ranks seventh
Clearances
2016 —
ranked second (average 39)
2017 — ranks second (average 40)
Centre clearances
2016 —
ranked seventh (average 12.7)
2017 — ranks fourth (average 13.9)
Inside-50s
2016 —
average 55 (ranked fifth)
2017 — average 61 (ranks first)

Getting Ryder back, SPP in, Ebo has gone from a run with player to a clearance player, Ollie has improved, Gray out and Wingard in have been the real difference rather than any super duper tactics. The quality of our centre clearances has improved this year. Jacko's hack kicks after roving the oppo ruckman tap has been almost eliminated completely this year.

I've never said sack Voss but its got a lot to do with the players. ...
I agree, it has a lot to do with the players. There are some that were saying it was all Voss when we didn't have Ryder last year but now that we have Ryder back it is all Ryder. The addition of SPP and Bradbert back playing a more inside role has certainly helped also.

I think there has been a definitive move to get bigger bodies into the inside midfield positions. Boak and Ebert have swapped inside and outside roles. We actively traded to recruit SPP.

Players have been wonderful but there has definitely been some correction with the way we were setting up.

Even when we had a good midfield in 2014, we had a tendancy to concede runs of really clean clearances which cost us runs of goals. Barring GWS and Essendon, that hasn't happened nearly as much this year.

I think there has been a definitive move to get bigger bodies into the inside midfield positions. Boak and Ebert have swapped inside and outside roles. We actively traded to recruit SPP.

Players have been wonderful but there has definitely been some correction with the way we were setting up.

Even when we had a good midfield in 2014, we had a tendancy to concede runs of really clean clearances which cost us runs of goals. Barring GWS and Essendon, that hasn't happened nearly as much this year.

Our midfield set up has been a thing of beauty. Wines and SPP anchoring the stoppage team. Wingard and Polec, our two most classy players, being used to great effect in traditional midfield roles. Ebert doing his usual thing. Boak and R.Gray, both great warriors but defensive liabilities, used only sparingly as midfielders. Voss deserves huge credit for the turnaround in this area.

Wingard into the guts has been an important move. Robbo said last night its the coaching move of the year in his Monday Champion segment. Gerard gets in a little pat on the bum to SPP at the end.

Wingard into the guts has been an important move. Robbo said last night its the coaching move of the year in his Monday Champion segment. Gerard gets in a little pat on the bum to SPP at the end.

yeh saw that, I think the national media is just starting to get a feel for us, dont think we can fly under the radar too much longer. On the couch rattled off 5-6 of our players in contention for AA too

It doesn't matter how long Voss is contracted for. If he's offered a senior coaching gig he'll be released from his contract like Richardson and Walsh were.
Yep, I have no problem with him going to a senior coach job...My guess is, that would be in his contract.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've never said sack Voss but its got a lot to do with the players.From The Ryder thread and the stats in last Friday's Game On section of the 'Tsier

THE RYDER FACTOR
Team hit-outs
2016 —
ranked 18th (last)
2017 — ranks seventh
Clearances
2016 —
Centre clearances
2016 —
Inside-50s
2016 —

Getting Ryder back, SPP in, Ebo has gone from a run with player to a clearance player, Ollie has improved, Gray out and Wingard in have been the real difference rather than any super duper tactics. The quality of our centre clearances has improved this year. Jacko's hack kicks after roving the oppo ruckman tap has been almost eliminated completely this year.

REH, do you have the differential numbers (as in the +/-) for those stats listed above? The raw data itself doesn't suggest that there's too great a jump, but I suspect that the numbers around the stoppage in 2016 were inflated simply because teams designed a gameplan against us that year to have plenty of stoppages.

How good is it to look in there and see Ollie, SPP and Ebo/Atley.

Good luck oppo!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

REH, do you have the differential numbers (as in the +/-) for those stats listed above? The raw data itself doesn't suggest that there's too great a jump, but I suspect that the numbers around the stoppage in 2016 were inflated simply because teams designed a gameplan against us that year to have plenty of stoppages.
Look thru this website as it allows you to sort by differentials. Play around with the categories in the sort by drop box.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_team_rankings?year=2017&type=DT&sby=23&advv=Y

Hearing rumours that Gold Coast are considering Michael Voss for their senior coach role if they don't continue with Rodney Eade

Hearing rumours that Gold Coast are considering Michael Voss for their senior coach role if they don't continue with Rodney Eade
Vossy sold his $3mil mansion in Brisbane, Coorparoo I think, either just before or just after the China game. That said to me he is here for awhile and/or Victoria is his next home, not Queensland.

Last edited:
They surely need a more senior coach to sort out that mess, plus I'm pretty sure his kids still have another year or two of High School in Adelaide and he said he wants them settled in school. The rumours will be rife, as they always are towards the end of each season. Plus I remember him saying he prefers to be in a footy state, which Qld is definitely not.

THE RYDER FACTOR
Team hit-outs
2016 —
ranked 18th (last)
2017 — ranks seventh
Clearances
2016 —
Centre clearances
2016 —
Inside-50s
2016 —

But when we don't do well the blame is laid on the coaches and as per above surely voss gets credited for changing ebos role, gray out in wingard and also getting spp in to form our big bodied midfield.

I've never said sack Voss but its got a lot to do with the players..... rather than any super duper tactics. The quality of our centre clearances has improved this year. Jacko's hack kicks after roving the oppo ruckman tap has been almost eliminated completely this year.
Wouldnt that make the converse true then? When we were crap in the midfield, wasnt that 'a lot to do with the players, rather than any poor tactics' by Voss & co?

Yet many blamed Voss then, and with great vitriol!

They surely need a more senior coach to sort out that mess, plus I'm pretty sure his kids still have another year or two of High School in Adelaide and he said he wants them settled in school. The rumours will be rife, as they always are towards the end of each season. Plus I remember him saying he prefers to be in a footy state, which Qld is definitely not.
Someone like Eade...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back