Suburbs with the same name in different cities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Newmarket in Brisbane is almost exactly the same distance from the centre of town as Newmarket in Melbourne is. Both north-west of the CBDs too.

Although whether Melbourne's Newmarket is really a suburb or just a train station on the boundary of Kensington and Flemington is a fair question. Verdict, MaddAdam?
I spent from the age of 11 to 19 (the 1970s) living in Newmarket Brisbane, it really was and still is a beautiful area for a kid to grow up in and I have fantastic childhood memories from my time there. There are numerous large parks and bushland areas, our home backed on to the park where I played soccer and was a defacto clubhouse, gathering point for my team and others, many great times playing pool/snooker and just lairising around.

Enoggera creek also meanders its way through the suburb and my brother and I spent many weekends and wagged school (Newmarket high and primary) a few times to spend time exploring it. My parents still owned that home right up until my fathers death in 2013, my mother still lives in the same street but in another smaller house a few doors down.

Ah love it, thanks for triggering a trip down memory lane Doss.

The biggest one is Richmond, which is an exurban area in Sydney and also the end of a train line.

Also Carlton is a middle-class middle surburban area that has nothing of interest really apart from being the home of a rugby league team (so some similarities!). I went to pre-school there.
There's also a Richmond in Adelaide, an inner city ex-working class suburb, home of the West Adelaide Bloods since 1958, which is slowly gentrifying. Not unlike the Melbourne version, though the gentrification is much slower.

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app

There's also a Richmond in Adelaide, an inner city ex-working class suburb, home of the West Adelaide Bloods since 1958, which is slowly gentrifying. Not unlike the Melbourne version, though the gentrification is much slower.

On SM-T355Y using BigFooty.com mobile app
There's a Richmond just outside Hobart too. Has Australia's oldest bridge!

Canterbury, Melbourne doesn't have a huge cathedral like the Canterbury in England, and it doesn't have as many earthquakes as the Canterbury in New Zealand.

Newport in Melbourne has its very own Folk Festival just like Newport, Rhode Island does.
There's also a Canterbury in Sydney. Probably if there was a huge church there it'd be a mosque ;)

I seem to remember there being a St Kilda in South Australia. Is it like St Kilda in Melbourne with its prozzies grazing the wild savannahs of Grey 'n Greeves?

Our one is about an hour North of the city, and really just a giant swampy wasteland with a big arse playground in the middle of it. Also a couple of popular crabbing spots around it I think.

Not sure about its prostitute situation.

My old man lived in Adelaide's version of St Kilda for about 12 months back when i was about 15/16

Besides the playground, mangroves and people going out there to go crabbing there nothing there

Most illicit behavior would be the kids from Salisbury and surrounding areas who park in the boat ramp carpark at night to smoke bongs

My old man lived in Adelaide's version of St Kilda for about 12 months back when i was about 15/16

Besides the playground, mangroves and people going out there to go crabbing there nothing there

Most illicit behavior would be the kids from Salisbury and surrounding areas who park in the boat ramp carpark at night to smoke bongs
A walk around St Kilda mangroves was people's idea of fun in the 80s.

Remember seeing an article online about this a while ago (cbf finding it again now, someone can google search if they're less lazy than me). Apparently Beaconsfield is the most common town/suburb name in Australia - 5 or 6 different states have one from memory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Vic suburbs which appear in or around Perth:

Kensington - nice leafy suburb a few km South of the city
Donnybrook - small country town about 2 hours out of Perth, good apples
Glen Iris - golf course
Bayswater - middle of the road Eastern suburb. Some good family homes, some dingy drug dens and flats
Brighton - just a beach, no suburb
Beaumaris - housing estate by the beach miles North of the city
Huntingdale - low socio economic suburb SE of the city, surrounded by cookie cutter new estates
Sorrento - beachside suburb 20km North of the city. Was a sandpit 20 years ago, now millionaires row
Red Hill - semi rural Eastern suburb with outdoor auditorium
Armadale - low socio economic suburb SE of the city. End of a train line and bit of a hub.
Kings Park - giant park overlooking the city. No one lives there.

Vic suburbs which appear in or around Perth:

Kensington - nice leafy suburb a few km South of the city
Donnybrook - small country town about 2 hours out of Perth, good apples
Glen Iris - golf course
Bayswater - middle of the road Eastern suburb. Some good family homes, some dingy drug dens and flats
Brighton - just a beach, no suburb
Beaumaris - housing estate by the beach miles North of the city
Huntingdale - low socio economic suburb SE of the city, surrounded by cookie cutter new estates
Sorrento - beachside suburb 20km North of the city. Was a sandpit 20 years ago, now millionaires row
Red Hill - semi rural Eastern suburb with outdoor auditorium
Armadale - low socio economic suburb SE of the city. End of a train line and bit of a hub.
Kings Park - giant park overlooking the city. No one lives there.

There's also Mount Hawthorn here where I lived for a while and like Leederville has become a hub for hipsters.

Armadale Victoria doesn't look like this?

View attachment 394068

Armadale, VIC-

intro01-2.jpg

> pop. 8,760
> top 20 most expensive suburbs in Melb (median house price $2,190,620)
> less violent crimes than most of Vic

Armadale, WA-

0.jpg

> pop. 92,009
> second cheapest suburb in Perth (median house price $276,250)
> leads WA suburbs in assaults and car theft

There's a Cheltenham in Victoria and a Cheltenham in South Australia and Mitcham in both states.

Queensland and Victoria have Croydon and Emerald.

Victoria and Western Australia both have Bayswater.

Though a stretch, WA and Victoria have Victoria Park.

Epping in both Melbourne and Sydney.

The city of Melbourne in Florida, named after a man from Melbourne, VIC I believe.

There is also the town of Sydney in Canada.

Bridgewater, SA and Bridgewater, Tas couldn't be more unalike. The Bridgewater in the hills, whilst not quite as nice as nearby Stirling, is still a decent quaint town. Bridgewater in Tasmania on the other hand is easily one of the most dero places in the country unless things have changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back