Brighton Homes Arena (Springfield) discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont get caught up on the semantics of council sizes etc..... let me as a long time Melbourne based supporter put things into context.

Dandenong whilst technically apart of the greater melbourne area is a horribly long way out of the city. A really good run is a 40 minutes out of the cbd... a bad run is comfortably over an hour which is very frequent (peak hour most days).

Greater Melbourne is a crazy size and has approx 4 million people in it.... if you guys drive for an hour you're on the gold coast... or half way to Noosa.....

If you really want to compare... I think Springfield drive times/accessability stacks up really well.
Spent over 25 years driving from Elwood to Springvale so I am well aware of the geographics of Melbourne.... Your comments in bold are 100% correct providing you live on the Southside of Brisbane. In the past, supporters North of the Story Bridge have had to drive out to Coorparoo/Yeronga to watch them train/play practice match's while supporters South of the Story Bridge can often be just around the corner or at worst, 20 minutes. Springfield from North side of Brisbane is a day trip (there & back) which extends our travel time considerably. Guess northside supporters just need to harden up because its definately going to happen.:'(:(:mad::eek::thumbsdown:

I don't think that the tens of people who come to training are a massive factor versus being able to build a massive state of the art facility. I'm not an AFL executive, but it feels like the latter might be a higher priority.

I don't think that the tens of people who come to training are a massive factor versus being able to build a massive state of the art facility. I'm not an AFL executive, but it feels like the latter might be a higher priority.
Don't think its a massive factor for AFL executives even if we were winning more than we are losing and playing finals really. For supporters its a little different.

Don't think its a massive factor for AFL executives even if we were winning more than we are losing and playing finals really. For supporters its a little different.

Yeah, I don't begrudge supporters for being upset with the move. By the same token I think it's pretty clearly best for the club.

Getting to training for supporters is irrelevant in the scheme of things.....it's what's best for our club and players.

If the club is satisfied with the position of the facilities, then ultimately that's all that matters..

Dont get caught up on the semantics of council sizes etc..... let me as a long time Melbourne based supporter put things into context.

Dandenong whilst technically apart of the greater melbourne area is a horribly long way out of the city. A really good run is a 40 minutes out of the cbd... a bad run is comfortably over an hour which is very frequent (peak hour most days).

Greater Melbourne is a crazy size and has approx 4 million people in it.... if you guys drive for an hour you're on the gold coast... or half way to Noosa.....

If you really want to compare... I think Springfield drive times/accessability stacks up really well.
Of course if you go by train you can add an hour or two. Assuming they are running.

I was always under the impression the new facilities would be about $30m. Amazing how it's potentially $70m and we are in a more desperate (weaker) position than ever. The various governments + AFL could have just given us the absolute bare minimum. That's how it usually works in business.
Me too, when Jake started the presentation the first thing I noticed was the $70million figure, just need one domino to fall and a formal announcement will be made. Another thing Jake said on the night was that we will not have to go through the usual development approval/environmental impact processes as Springfield is covered under a separate act for this, so they can start virtually straight away.

Getting to training for supporters is irrelevant in the scheme of things.....it's what's best for our club and players.

If the club is satisfied with the position of the facilities, then ultimately that's all that matters..[/QUOTE]

Disagree with that 100% but anyway, it doesn't matter what I or any other supporter thinks or says with regards to this move, it's gonna happen. The club (any club in the AFL) do not always make the right decisions. (long or short term)

Spent over 25 years driving from Elwood to Springvale so I am well aware of the geographics of Melbourne.... Your comments in bold are 100% correct providing you live on the Southside of Brisbane. In the past, supporters North of the Story Bridge have had to drive out to Coorparoo/Yeronga to watch them train/play practice match's while supporters South of the Story Bridge can often be just around the corner or at worst, 20 minutes. Springfield from North side of Brisbane is a day trip (there & back) which extends our travel time considerably. Guess northside supporters just need to harden up because its definately going to happen.:'(:(:mad::eek::thumbsdown:

Sorry mate, but the day trip comment is a bit ridiculous. I went to visit my brother in Springfield two weeks ago - on the way there it took 1 hour due to traffic, on the way homr it took 45 mins. That is from Zillmere.

Yeah, I don't begrudge supporters for being upset with the move. By the same token I think it's pretty clearly best for the club.

Surely the majority of supporters will be extremely pleased with the new facilities.

Better never means better for everyone... It always means worse, for some.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry mate, but the day trip comment is a bit ridiculous. I went to visit my brother in Springfield two weeks ago - on the way there it took 1 hour due to traffic, on the way homr it took 45 mins. That is from Zillmere.

That's a very good run. You must be a good driver....mate!!!

The water can also be drained into tanks that are used to water the grass ovals. Green greenery.

I heard they're interviewing Kevin Mitchell for the job to keep the surface consistent with the Gabba's patchiness.

Surely the majority of supporters will be extremely pleased with the new facilities.

Better never means better for everyone... It always means worse, for some.
I sincerely hope you are right Jackess....I guess the proof will be when it happens in a few years after its built & ready to roll.

That's a very good run. You must be a good driver....mate!!!

Not really man, just stuck to the highway both times. I've done the drive before and it was similar. Also the train is a 1 hr trip from zill to Springfield. A lot quicker to the new proposed grounds than say the GC. Brendale was handy for me though haha.

I was always under the impression the new facilities would be about $30m. Amazing how it's potentially $70m and we are in a more desperate (weaker) position than ever. The various governments + AFL could have just given us the absolute bare minimum. That's how it usually works in business.
Yeh but maybe they thought the good business deal would be to put more money in for better facilities to help players stay, better training and overall happiness.

Yeh but maybe they thought the good business deal would be to put more money in for better facilities to help players stay, better training and overall happiness.

More like the popularity of the WAFL, and the inclusion of community assets such as childcare have meant it is better value for them.

Just saw the official announcement on 7 news. Interestingly no male players were at the presser, and they talked up how it will host women's games.

I hope they let the men's team train there too! ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back