Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
We'd throw in ANB, who else we got from SA that is expendable? Trenners? :(

Come on mate. Would you take their first rounder and McKay for Petracca?

Don't think so

We could give up ANB and first rounder but I agree with others I'd hate to give up anyone up for lever and would be more happy to give up picks. But most clubs outside the bottom 6 these days want a player for a player

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Come on mate. Would you take their first rounder and McKay for Petracca?

Don't think so

We could give up ANB and first rounder but I agree with others I'd hate to give up anyone up for lever and would be more happy to give up picks. But most clubs outside the bottom 6 these days want a player for a player

Its true. Lever is a young kid who is guarenteed to be great. Even if it was the #1 pick, you've got less of a guarentee for not much higher a ceiling.

If i were Ad I'd want 2 firsts. But kinda depends what Lever wants to do.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Its true. Lever is a young kid who is guarenteed to be great. Even if it was the #1 pick, you've got less of a guarentee for not much higher a ceiling. If i were Ad I'd want 2 firsts. But kinda depends what Lever wants to do.
It's pretty tough for a guy with less than 50 games to refuse offers that are more than his experienced All-Australian teammates earn.

As a club we can't do much more for the kid than we have ... he was drafted early considering his past injuries, we have improved every year and are now sitting on top of the ladder with real chances at the premiership over the next few years with almost all of our top-end talent signed up for long-ish contracts, his parents are involved with the club, his brother is in our SANFL development squad ... not sure what else we can do !! When a Victorian club comes in with a $900k a year offer and all of the outside the cap benefits that SA can't do ... it makes it pretty tough.

We are building a great squad at Adelaide, and players that don't want to be in it 100% should not be paid to stay ... but at some stage, the talent drain will kill ya. There aren't many clubs developing players better than us, we had more players in the All-Australian squad and 22-under-22 squad than any club last year.

Dangerfield went home for next to nothing as an All-Australian top of the pile midfielder, and we have to watch him play his most productive years against us - and now we have the guy people are touting as the best defender they have ever seen looking like he might walk over the border for a few draft picks and a fatter wallet. Not ideal.

So, if Lever comes out and says "I want to go to the Demons", you can see why most of us would say "I'm getting sick of this crap, we cannot afford to send another star to a team that we will be fighting with for the premiership over the next few years without getting someone back" ... I'm not sure we would need a Hogan-esque player, but a midfielder that is better than Dean Gore would be great !!

Who knows maybe we will luck out with a FA and we can send Lever to Brisbane via the PSD for sh!ts and giggles :)

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's pretty tough for a guy with less than 50 games to refuse offers that are more than his experienced All-Australian teammates earn.

As a club we can't do much more for the kid than we have ... he was drafted early considering his past injuries, we have improved every year and are now sitting on top of the ladder with real chances at the premiership over the next few years with almost all of our top-end talent signed up for long-ish contracts, his parents are involved with the club, his brother is in our SANFL development squad ... not sure what else we can do !! When a Victorian club comes in with a $900k a year offer and all of the outside the cap benefits that SA can't do ... it makes it pretty tough.

We are building a great squad at Adelaide, and players that don't want to be in it 100% should not be paid to stay ... but at some stage, the talent drain will kill ya. There aren't many clubs developing players better than us, we had more players in the All-Australian squad and 22-under-22 squad than any club last year.

Dangerfield went home for next to nothing as an All-Australian top of the pile midfielder, and we have to watch him play his most productive years against us - and now we have the guy people are touting as the best defender they have ever seen looking like he might walk over the border for a few draft picks and a fatter wallet. Not ideal.

So, if Lever comes out and says "I want to go to the Demons", you can see why most of us would say "I'm getting sick of this crap, we cannot afford to send another star to a team that we will be fighting with for the premiership over the next few years without getting someone back" ... I'm not sure we would need a Hogan-esque player, but a midfielder that is better than Dean Gore would be great !!

Who knows maybe we will luck out with a FA and we can send Lever to Brisbane via the PSD for sh!ts and giggles :)

Can't fault the logic. If you're building something then you have to have buy in. If they don't want to be a part of it, doesn't matter how good they are, you're better off trading them in for someone who will, even if you don't get full value.

In terms of the PSD, it really does s**t me when young players think they can bend over their club after their initial draft contract. I swear to god I hope a club plays hardball soon to show players that they play by the AFL trade rules. If someone comes out wanting to go to a particular club (eg JOM), then they should agree to go to where the best deal is for the club, assuming that club won't drastically under pay for the player.

I cannot wait for the day some bratty player demands to go to club X, and finds himself not given another contract and having to nominate for the draft. One club will lose short term, but all 18 will win in the long run.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can't fault the logic. If you're building something then you have to have buy in. If they don't want to be a part of it, doesn't matter how good they are, you're better off trading them in for someone who will, even if you don't get full value.

In terms of the PSD, it really does s**t me when young players think they can bend over their club after their initial draft contract. I swear to god I hope a club plays hardball soon to show players that they play by the AFL trade rules. If someone comes out wanting to go to a particular club (eg JOM), then they should agree to go to where the best deal is for the club, assuming that club won't drastically under pay for the player.

I cannot wait for the day some bratty player demands to go to club X, and finds himself not given another contract and having to nominate for the draft. One club will lose short term, but all 18 will win in the long run.
It happened to Xavier Richards last year, and he didn't get picked up!

The change needs to happen at some stage to give the clubs some power back. Players hold all the cards at the moment, needs a bit of balance. I'd get rid of the PSD and just send any uncontracted players that don't get a trade done into the National Draft with a 2 year contract (based on their last contract) - then the club that loses the player gets the pick used to get him. So Lever nominates the Demons, no trade gets done, he goes into the ND with a $300k 2 year price on his head - Brisbane get him with pick 2, Adelaide get pick 2. Simples :)

The change needs to happen at some stage to give the clubs some power back. Players hold all the cards at the moment, needs a bit of balance. I'd get rid of the PSD and just send any uncontracted players that don't get a trade done into the National Draft with a 2 year contract (based on their last contract) - then the club that loses the player gets the pick used to get him. So Lever nominates the Demons, no trade gets done, he goes into the ND with a $300k 2 year price on his head - Brisbane get him with pick 2, Adelaide get pick 2. Simples :)
It's an interesting idea.

On Lever, personally I think the kicker is Carlton. If a club outside of the Crows can satisfy Carlton for Gibbs in principle, that would bring them right into the Lever hunt as part of a three-way deal.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Lol, not sure that'll get past the AFLPA. But the whole concept of free agency is that players have to put in their 6 or 8 years before they get those kinds of choices. The kids nominating for the ND are sat down and told the rules of the system. If they believe that's restraint of trade or not worth the risk, then they can not go in for it. But the expectation should be if you nominate, you play for the club you are drafted by for 6 years, unless a) you're delisted b) you're traded or c) you retire, never to return to AFL. There needs to be some protection in there for players to ensure they are paid somewhere close to market value, but not by being able to walk away.

The arrogance and entitlement of some of these kids is astounding. You'd think everyone had to carve out most of their 20s being paid to be ripped and play the game they love.

Oct 15, 2012
Hobart
AFL Club
Adelaide
It's an interesting idea.

On Lever, personally I think the kicker is Carlton. If a club outside of the Crows can satisfy Carlton for Gibbs in principle, that would bring them right into the Lever hunt as part of a three-way deal.
Having lived in Melbourne for many years ... Carlton (and their supporters) can go and get fffffd :)

I don't think I'd want to see Weitering and Lever in a backline together, sounds like a nightmare.

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Having lived in Melbourne for many years ... Carlton (and their supporters) can go and get fffffd :)

I don't think I'd want to see Weitering and Lever in a backline together, sounds like a nightmare.
I think most around here would agree with your first point ... and on your second, you forgot about Marchbank ... * that!

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watching Jesse play, do you think he doesn't lead out at the ball carrier because he's not comfortable from kicking further out than 30m? does he take the lower percentage play of wrestling closer to goal because he thinks if it comes off he'll have an easier shot at goal, rather than leading out creating space and having to kick it 40-50 meters?

Discuss.

Watching Jesse play, do you think he doesn't lead out at the ball carrier because he's not comfortable from kicking further out than 30m? does he take the lower percentage play of wrestling closer to goal because he thinks if it comes off he'll have an easier shot at goal, rather than leading out creating space and having to kick it 40-50 meters?

Discuss.
I just think he's low on confidence and is finding his feet again after a couple of really stressful years. Can't wait to see how he plays when the stress begins to lift.

booshboy

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I just think he's low on confidence and is finding his feet again after a couple of really stressful years. Can't wait to see how he plays when the stress begins to lift.
I dont just mean since he's come back, but the last 18 months he's gone about it very differently than his first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont just mean since he's come back, but the last 18 months he's gone about it very differently than his first year.
Yep, he's been playing within himself IMO.

Feb 18, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne

Discuss.
He's such a good field kick. If he gets a mark around the 40-50m range he shouldn't stuff around with the set shot just wheel around and have a shot straight away. At least until he builds his confidence back up

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Discuss.

I think some of his positioning is part of the team structure that he is being told to do. He often anchors the middle of the forward 50 and draws opponents to that area. This allows other players to play off him, and also provides the bail out kick if rushed or no other options. Would like him to get on the lead more and create move avenues to goal for himself though. I think he will in time, but at the moment though he is still learning and to be fair he is no where near conditioned enough to be running as much as we'd like yet.

Jun 14, 2011
Halfway Between the Gutter and the Stars
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MUFC/NYY/LAL/Green Bay Packers/UW
Thought he was pretty good today honestly. Lead up at the ball a few times, played more CHF which we all know is better for him and as always was great at ground level. Also actually had a chase down tackle, wtf?

I noticed that! I felt in general he chased and tackled hard today and showed some real effort and appetite for the contest.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Discuss.

I think its an interesting question but I doubt he would be doing it if the coaching staff didnt want him too. Having seen Bugg and Garlett stand at the top of the square and contest long bombs all of this year I think its a coaching objective to stretch the field so that we always have an option close to goal. I reckon thats the job they wanted Weid to be doing long term but hopefully now with Tmac doing it Hogan can start roaming the field. He looks beautiful on the lead. 24 disposals 3 goals and 0 marks inside 50 is the sort of player that he is IMO

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon he started getting some of his strut and arrogance back in the last quarter. There was one passage where he just threw his opponent off him on the boundary line and he really did look like the hulk. I think he's been playing cautiously but might be about to explode.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
I liked his game yesterday in the sense that he got a bit of luck for once with the goal spree in the 2nd quarter, especially compared to last week when he was getting in all the right places and the marks just weren't sticking. Will be great for his confidence.

I reckon he started getting some of his strut and arrogance back in the last quarter. There was one passage where he just threw his opponent off him on the boundary line and he really did look like the hulk. I think he's been playing cautiously but might be about to explode.

Yep. He's still one of the best contested marks in the league. Just needs a few weeks of solid touch to get back to his best. He will murder the Saints in a few weeks.

I think its an interesting question but I doubt he would be doing it if the coaching staff didnt want him too. Having seen Bugg and Garlett stand at the top of the square and contest long bombs all of this year I think its a coaching objective to stretch the field so that we always have an option close to goal. I reckon thats the job they wanted Weid to be doing long term but hopefully now with Tmac doing it Hogan can start roaming the field. He looks beautiful on the lead. 24 disposals 3 goals and 0 marks inside 50 is the sort of player that he is IMO

Weird comment. Jesse is a fantastic mark at his best.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Weird comment. Jesse is a fantastic mark at his best.

Not contested, he times his run a jump at the footy well but he doesnt get any seperation with his body work when he is standing still. Fantastic mark is just wrong, Wayne Carey was fantastic, Stewey Loewe, Paul Salmon etc. Hogan is ok.
Defenders have worked out that if you engage him in body strength it nullifies him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back