Opinion Cardinal George Pell - Found Guilty, (Appeal Rejected 21/8)

Remove this Banner Ad

Over the coming months we will see Pell face historic sex assault charges. To me, in my eyes he is guilty of attempting to cover up these atrocious acts that occurred years ago by his fellow clergy. I hope he comes home to face these current charges and may the courts make a correct finding on whether he is innocent or guilty.

Last edited:
I don't know how anyone who isn't privy to the evidence can have an informed opinion. I hope he gets a fair trial and the truth comes to light, whatever it is.

I don't know how anyone who isn't privy to the evidence can have an informed opinion. I hope he gets a fair trial and the truth comes to light, whatever it is.
Correct. Without seeing the evidence, its impossible to say. I believe that there was divided opinion among the investigating team as to whether or not to charge him. It may not be clear cut. Having said all that, Guilty!!

If he's guilty of hurting children abuse etc then he should go to jail.
If innocent then a witch trial does nothing but aggravate the hurt in this sensitive area.

So glad I don't have to decide, my ill-will towards the church/religion would make it impossible to be objective.

Thats one of my great hates in this country, trial by media! In my neck of the woods we had the whole Bayden-Clay circus, and while I'm happy to accept the courts verdict thats he's a murdering piece of s**t, I'd be far more comfortable if he hadn't been found guilty on a Current Affair months before he even entered a court.

Thats one of my great hates in this country, trial by media! In my neck of the woods we had the whole Bayden-Clay circus, and while I'm happy to accept the courts verdict thats he's a murdering piece of s**t, I'd be far more comfortable if he hadn't been found guilty on a Current Affair months before he even entered a court.

One would have thought that a man of such strong faith would have welcomed a trial in a modern day Pilate's court.

Interesting to note that he has retained the services of Robert Richter QC,surely a few well worded prayers would have sufficed.

Below is a picture from 1993 of Cardinal Pell supporting sex offending priest Gerald Ridsdale at court, who was found guilty of 138 sex charges against 40 children within the church. Show's what sort of scum of a bloke Pell is supporting Ridsdale and Pell was third in line at the Vatican. Makes you wonder.

1456734125393.jpg

Over the coming months we will see Pell face historic sex assault charges. To me, in my eyes he is guilty of attempting to cover up these atrocious acts that occurred years ago by his fellow clergy. I hope he comes home to face these current charges and may the courts make a correct finding on whether he is innocent or guilty.
If not found guilty of peadophilia, should be tried for being a hypocrite and criminal. How the Vatican can sit on so much money, watch the atrocities and poverty all round the world and do little about it is beyond me

One would have thought that a man of such strong faith would have welcomed a trial in a modern day Pilate's court.

Interesting to note that he has retained the services of Robert Richter QC,surely a few well worded prayers would have sufficed.

For a second there I thought you where saying that I was a man of faith !

That is correct.

Trial my media helps nobody, not justice....

Ok helps the TV shows and those enthralled by scandal

Trial by media is a bit of an overblown concept that in this case has been a cause taken up by the conservative pro catholic press. In reality the jury system is pretty robust and the comprehensiveness of the evidence placed before them in a full trial + the responsibility of being on a jury negates the idea of trial by media and any preconceived opinions that some jurors potential come into the process with.

Besides I thought the charges against Pell haven't been released so trial by media shouldn't be an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trial by media is a bit of an overblown concept that in this case has been a cause taken up by the conservative pro catholic press. In reality the jury system is pretty robust and the comprehensiveness of the evidence placed before them in a full trial + the responsibility of being on a jury negates the idea of trial by media and any preconceived opinions that some jurors potential come into the process with.

Besides I thought the charges against Pell haven't been released so trial by media shouldn't be an issue.
If only if it were so.

The media are more anti than pro Pell.
Be that as it may, a fair trial is the cornerstone of our society.

If guilty of heinous crime, straight to jail.
If not guilty then time to move on.

It's a very sensitive area, our children deserve society looking after their well being, including fair trials so the evil filth that are guilty go to jail.

Pell has the big man in the sky in his corner, i don't think a few journos are going to even that one up any time soon......
Moves in mysterious ways

The good lord might have others things to do

All jokes aside, I'm only advocating a fair trial for people as a cornerstone
If guilty of crime, off to jail.

Agree.
I have been scathing of his handling of the sexual impropriety in his various roles as senior member of the church throughout his career, but these charges levelled at him personally are a different issue altogether and I firmly believe everyone is entitled to the presumption of innocence until it is proven otherwise.
That said if he is proven guilty he should get the absolute maximum penalty which can legally applied.

Do you work for the church?
No. I am an atheist.

There is an active Suppression Order about this case that extends to social media.

Having a thread such as this, on a site as big as this could be considered to be in breach of the Order. Also, in the event of Pell being found guilty (note, I am not inferring he is) it could enable an argument that he was unable to receive a fair trial.

No. I am an atheist.

There is an active Suppression Order about this case that extends to social media.

Having a thread such as this, on a site as big as this could be considered to be in breach of the Order. Also, in the event of Pell being found guilty (note, I am not inferring he is) it could enable an argument that he was unable to receive a fair trial.

Where did you read about this suppression order?

Name a single case with media attention that hasn't had social media commentary in the past decade? How many of them successfully argued they didn't receive a fair trial due to social media?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back