Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

I noticed a nice chart put up by a poster and Carlton was amongst the lowest scoring in fines and suspensions this year. Some say how nice to support such a lovely bunch of nice boys. I say BULLSHIT - we are short of mongrel BIG TIME.

These blokes have some mongrel in them and the rest should wake up to themselves

This is my get a pass and can play because they have some mongrel when required in them. I dont count mouthy players as real mongrels - so scratch Plowman for example.

I dont count chip scab possessions or hugging tacklers as mongrels and half steppers get one half step in whole career before they are barred.

White AlexS Byrne
Weitering Jones Docherty
Williamson XXX Thomas
Kreuzer Cripps Ed Curnow
SOJ Charlie XXX
XXX XXX XXX

IC: XXX XXX Fisher Cuningham

EM: Kerridge, Gibbs, XXX XXX

We need more mongrel - have I missed anyone?

discuss.

Laurence

Team Captain
Mar 26, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
We're not poor but at times our leaders can let us down.

That will change soon enough and a new standard developed.
Agreed.

In regards to our leader.. I love Murf as a player, but I feel things will change once the captaincy is handed over to maybe a Cripps/Doc combo.
Don't get me wrong, I don't believe suspensions and fines = a "tougher" footy side.

We need to become a more "uncompromising" team. We have come along way under Bolts and heading in the right direction

I'm going to be in the minority when I say this....

I'd like to see Ed Curnow given the captaincy for a year. But if not him then it's gotta be Doc.

Of all of our midfielders Ed's our best two-way midfielder, has the support of the younger players, is as vocal as they come and is just overall a genuine leader.

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Interesting thread.

We don't have too many of those 'plays on the edge' types.

This year we have stood up for each other, apart from that 3rd quarter start last week.

Reckon we play a reasonable physical standard, as Harks posted, apart from Gibbs occasional angry moments, we don't have the leaders that really hurt opposition players.

If a guy is copping a hard tag, gotta change the dynamic......within the rules of course.

I'm happy to cop some flak for being politically incorrect on this topic. Leadership requires MONGREL in a physically competitive sport and I dont for a second believe size equates with mongrel - some of the toughest meanest bastads I played rugby with and against were midget half backs and 5/8ths - mean mofos. Also not interested in the professional player who cons Clubs into playing them just on class - must have MONGREL because mongrels stick up for and pay back opposition mongrels who mongrel one of their team mates.

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Wright also shows a bit of mongrel from time to time. Goes when it is his turn.

He's as hard as Cats head.

Was gunna be a first rounder as a junior then got belted at a party, had a fractured skull, bleeding on the brain.....was in big trouble for a while.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
We have enough mongrel when we're up and about...don't confuse mongrel with suspensions...that's just ill-discipline.

Earlier in the year we saw ASOS, Marchbank and Williamson in our backline not afraid to get in the oppositions faces and engage in push and shove.

Gibbs can at times.

I think Wright and SOSOS can dish it out as well.

You missed Casboult.

Doesn't always channel it correctly, but it is there.

Mongrels hate losing a contest - any contest. Casboult is a bit like Gibbs - conditional intensity it all depends on what the stars say and what colour the crystal is on any day...Casboult should have belted at least 5 blokes by this time in his career not a power forwards back side - too nice.

We have enough mongrel when we're up and about...don't confuse mongrel with suspensions...that's just ill-discipline.

Earlier in the year we saw ASOS, Marchbank and Williamson in our backline not afraid to get in the oppositions faces and engage in push and shove.

Gibbs can at times.

I think Wright and SOSOS can dish it out as well.
Pffff with the push and shove ...and have a giggle and laugh afterwards ...seen too much of that BS.

and what about the D&M discussions Gibbsy loves to pull with the opposition after a game - DISGUSTING.:mad:

ASPOS and Williamson are IN my side..look it up!

He's as hard as Cats head.

Was gunna be a first rounder as a junior then got belted at a party, had a fractured skull, bleeding on the brain.....was in big trouble for a while.

Love Wrighty I'll put him on the emergency list - too nice - but NOT gutless no mongrel though...

i love carlton having some mongrel, but unlike the list above think we have very few with it. Wonder what the likes of hamill spalding brown murphy fev etc would make of the above list being seen as mongrels at carlton..

Well put up YOUR list if it is smaller than mine I wont complain unless you missed a mongrel...

Interesting thread.

We don't have too many of those 'plays on the edge' types.

This year we have stood up for each other, apart from that 3rd quarter start last week.

Reckon we play a reasonable physical standard, as Harks posted, apart from Gibbs occasional angry moments, we don't have the leaders that really hurt opposition players.

If a guy is copping a hard tag, gotta change the dynamic......within the rules of course.

Get some mongrel into your posting I know you want to.;)

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
Love Wrighty I'll put him on the emergency list - too nice - but NOT gutless no mongrel though...

Not sure what you're looking for.

Melbourne have gone out this year as an up and coming side and thumped anyone in sight.

Tough, no, does it build a reputation, probably.

No doubt Goody has given them that license.

We're not poor but at times our leaders can let us down.

That will change soon enough and a new standard developed.
Sorry Harks - we ARE poor we are so poor in the real mongrel stakes we are broken. Mongrels don't concede 7 goal quarters they figure out who is causing the damage and do some DAMAGE...pro-active they don't need a coaches yelling session at half time to want to beat the mofos on the other side...

As much as I love Weiters, he's surely the last bloke who should be on this list on what we've seen of him so far.
Weiters is always one of the FIRST to remonstrate and he is also capable but controlled in the way he spoils opposition...I' want him to unleash his hidden mongrel - like he did on Riewoldt in his first ever game and teased the shyte out of him...AFTER he made him look liek a goose...real mongrel has Weiters just been put in hibernation by some poor leadership idea of what the game is really about

Not sure what you're looking for.

Melbourne have gone out this year as an up and coming side and thumped anyone in sight.

Tough, no, does it build a reputation, probably.

No doubt Goody has given them that license.

One aspect of mongrel is that Mongrel is about having opposition players looking over their shoulders ALL the time - that is what makes champion sides...

Back