Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

I know you're not being literal, but being able to punch has no relevance. The mongrel a footy team needs is totally different. You watch Lamb closely - he's the sort of player who follows through an extra 10% on every tackle, just because he wants to put a bit more hurt on and be the big dog. He's one of the first to get involved in argy and never takes a backward step. He's not going to run through anyone at his size but that's only one part of being hard at it. It's a mentality. And he has it.

Ok I'll add him to my IC bench - and give him five more games to prove himself - I'll be watching.

Gibbs can at times.

Does it when he wants it.

We need uncompromising players who are always switched on.

He should be in that mindset every week. The fact is he's 28 years old now and has been in the system for a decade. It shouldn't take playing for a contender to get him switched on. If he were a true leader with mongrel he'd will the club on much more than he has and on a much more consistent basis.

Watch him get traded to Adelaide and pull his finger out of his rectum on the regular.

I noticed a nice chart put up by a poster and Carlton was amongst the lowest scoring in fines and suspensions this year. Some say how nice to support such a lovely bunch of nice boys. I say BULLSHIT - we are short of mongrel BIG TIME.

These blokes have some mongrel in them and the rest should wake up to themselves

This is my get a pass and can play because they have some mongrel when required in them. I dont count mouthy players as real mongrels - so scratch Plowman for example.

I dont count chip scab possessions or hugging tacklers as mongrels and half steppers get one half step in whole career before they are barred.

White AlexS Byrne
Weitering Jones Docherty
Williamson XXX Thomas
Kreuzer Cripps Ed Curnow
SOJ Charlie XXX
XXX XXX XXX

IC: XXX XXX Fisher Cuningham

EM: Kerridge, Gibbs, XXX XXX

We need more mongrel - have I missed anyone?

discuss.
Sorry but I just don't see "mongrel" in Weiters, SoJ, Fisher or Thomas.
Don't get me wrong, they all have a crack, but not much intimidation there

I noticed a nice chart put up by a poster and Carlton was amongst the lowest scoring in fines and suspensions this year. Some say how nice to support such a lovely bunch of nice boys. I say BULLSHIT - we are short of mongrel BIG TIME.

These blokes have some mongrel in them and the rest should wake up to themselves

This is my get a pass and can play because they have some mongrel when required in them. I dont count mouthy players as real mongrels - so scratch Plowman for example.

I dont count chip scab possessions or hugging tacklers as mongrels and half steppers get one half step in whole career before they are barred.

White AlexS Byrne
Weitering Jones Docherty
Williamson XXX Thomas
Kreuzer Cripps Ed Curnow
SOJ Charlie XXX
XXX XXX XXX

IC: XXX XXX Fisher Cuningham

EM: Kerridge, Gibbs, XXX XXX

We need more mongrel - have I missed anyone?

discuss.

One of my favourite subjects.

Been saying it for years, we need to start recruiting thugs, toe-cutters & standover men from the local penal leagues.

One of my favourite subjects.

Been saying it for years, we need to start recruiting thugs, toe-cutters & standover men from the local penal leagues.
not much to beat but post of the night for mine

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I brought up the word mongrel in another thread before I even new this one existed. It's getting to the point that we don't just need any old midfielders but rather bigger bodied mids who are also tough competitors. Having said that, I'm against a scorched earth policy regarding draft picks in an effort to get them. We might land one or two that way but the further we go into it, the more we won't get value for our trading and it will start to get into Brocky and even Kristian Jaksch/Blaine Boekhorst territory. I'll dub it the Cain Toad Solution.

Very sad to say we have only one player with mongrel and he arrived this year (ASOS). Haven't had one previous to that in over ten years (when did hick retire?).

Mongrel is a player who puts his head over the ball every time, and looks for contact.

Mongrel is splitting a pack with intent.

Mongrel is looking after your teammates and retaliating with a strong tackle/hip & shoulder.

Jones and Cas could and should...but don't.

Williamson, Doc and Cripps look most likely of our youngsters. Hoping weiters, Charlie and Harry use their bulk in years to come.

For all his shortcomings, Mitch Robinson was a psycho of the highest order. I remember him raising his hand and apologising to Simon Black after almost decapitating him in a match. His attack on the footy was unrivalled. He was the definition of mongrel. He doesn't play with the same disregard for his safety anymore, probably because he has a young family. Changes to the sliding rule have worked against him too. But geez, he was awesome to watch in finals.

It is a tricky thing to define. I think a lot of it is about how hard we are to play against. For years Carlton have been easy to play against. Pleasant almost. We have an amazing track record of playing out-of-form sides back into form.

What we did to Callum Mills and Sydney earlier in the year stood out because it was not what Carlton usually does. I'm not sure bullying one player is the way forward, but at least we showed some snarl.

Grit. Sandpaper. Snarl. Mongrel. Whatever you call it, we have less of it than the vast majority of the league. We have a lot of polite nice young men; a few belligerent bastards would be good.

Grit. Sandpaper. Snarl. Mongrel. Whatever you call it, we have less of it than the vast majority of the league. We have a lot of polite nice young men; a few belligerent bastards would be good.
So pretty much the exact opposite to the posters on here then?

Let's have a look at this and it does depend on what you mean be 'young men' but;

I don't see Cripps, Docherty, Plowman, McKay, CCurnow, SPS, Byrne, Williamson, Silvagni and Marcbank being nice in the way they play their games.
Weitering can be nasty but that hasn't really shown up yet. I don't know why, but he has got it in him.
The rest? Macreadie, Pickett, Fisher, Polson, Kerr, JGM, LeBois.............we'll see in time.

As for you either haver mongrel or you don't? To a point, but I'm sure players played that little harder under Hodge, than they may have done so otherwise. They simply had to. You'll take every percentage point you can get.

I loved it when Juddy and Fev would get stuck into an opposition player at the 1/4 or 1/2 time breaks if they tried to take a kid out, we need these sort of blokes.

I think it was Fev and Scotland who ran into a Collingwood huddle once after a young Murphy went down

Remove this Banner Ad

Back