hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
With Heardy here. Also it's simply against the policy that is meant to apply across the league. As much as the front of the jumper has a lot of dominating gold the back is mainly brown and therein lies the issue - the jumper is predominantly brown. Just as the Collingwood one is predominantly black. And those colours aren't meant to be worn against each other. The front goes alright but there's a second side to every jumper.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Interestingly, on the Hawthorn brown jumper, it's been worn in away games vs Essendon (R1), Melbourne (R7), Collingwood (R9), [Sydney (R10) - Indigenous], but not vs Port (R11) [or Geelong (R17) - Luke Hodge commemoration inside the collar on the gold jumper].
So it's looking like it's another case of the clash rules only applying when it's not against the bigger Vic teams. At least that's consistent I guess! :p

Going by this pattern I expect next weekend vs Fremantle will be gold, R20 vs Richmond will be gold (I don't think they've ever worn the brown vs Richmond as it'd be two teams in dark jumpers with yellow/gold bits), and R22 vs Carlton will be brown.

Interestingly, on the Hawthorn brown jumper, it's been worn in away games vs Essendon (R1), Melbourne (R7), Collingwood (R9), [Sydney (R10) - Indigenous], but not vs Port (R11) [or Geelong (R17) - Luke Hodge commemoration inside the collar on the gold jumper].
So it's looking like it's another case of the clash rules only applying when it's not against the bigger Vic teams. At least that's consistent I guess! :p

Going by this pattern I expect next weekend vs Fremantle will be gold, R20 vs Richmond will be gold (I don't think they've ever worn the brown vs Richmond as it'd be two teams in dark jumpers with yellow/gold bits), and R22 vs Carlton will be brown.
Clash jumper for Hawthorn next week. Hawthorn have played Fremantle twice in Perth since 2013. Clash / White was used for the game in 2014, and the second game was a final in which Hawthorn wore Hone / White

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Clash jumper for Hawthorn next week. Hawthorn have played Fremantle twice in Perth since 2013. Clash / White was used for the game in 2014, and the second game was a final in which Hawthorn wore Hone / White
Hawthorn went through a stage of wearing their white jumper (first the Hawk-head then the Hawk-V) in a number of away games, such as Freo and Port. That's probably where the game in the white jumper came about.
I'd say gold or brown with white. Going with gold as brown is a clash and clashes apply when playing interstate teams :p

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
From 1975-1986, Melbourne changed the navy blue in their jumpers to royal blue.

One might think that this would clash badly with Footscray's royal blue, red & white jumpers, but it doesn't.

There are quite a few videos of Footscray vs. Melbourne matches from this era on Youtube, and there are no problems telling the Bulldogs and Demons apart. That the design of both jumpers is very different (red & white hoops on blue jumper vs. solid blue jumper with red yoke), that the blue in the Melbourne jumpers is a shade darker than the Bulldogs jumpers, that Footscray wore blue socks and Melbourne red socks and with the away team wearing white shorts, there was no clash between the teams so far as I could see.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
From 1975-1986, Melbourne changed the navy blue in their jumpers to royal blue.

One might think that this would clash badly with Footscray's royal blue, red & white jumpers, but it doesn't.

There are quite a few videos of Footscray vs. Melbourne matches from this era on Youtube, and there are no problems telling the Bulldogs and Demons apart. That the design of both jumpers is very different (red & white hoops on blue jumper vs. solid blue jumper with red yoke), that the blue in the Melbourne jumpers is a shade darker than the Bulldogs jumpers, that Footscray wore blue socks and Melbourne red socks and with the away team wearing white shorts, there was no clash between the teams so far as I could see.
So really, it's the worst ever clash, in that it tried so hard but failed :p

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Did anyone see Arsenal v WSW. That was a clash. big time.

Arsenal vs west sydney wandererererers

Who needs a clash kit?

Arsenal in a red shirt with white sleeves

Wsw in a white shitt with red sleeves

5944d11b4347fb463ee9db27bd6a1304
Amazingly bad look for the game.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Before clash jumpers came about, how were SANFL games between Norwood Redlegs and South Adelaide Panthers?

There are obviously differences between the two teams' uniforms. Norwood have red collars and cuffs, South Adelaide have a white monogram and the Redlegs wear red socks, the Panthers navy blue socks. However, primarily both teams wear navy blue jumpers with white numbers and from behind, even with one team wearing white shorts, they would have been quite hard to tell apart.

I had a look on Youtube to see if there were any old Norwood vs. South Adelaide games uploaded, but could not find any.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
South's at the time also used to have white collars and cuffs

Also keep in mind South's also used to wear hooped jumpers that were primarily white.

I never knew South wore Geelong style jumpers - I have seen their last two Grand Finals on Youtube in 1964 (Premiers) and 1979 (Runner Up) and in both matches, the Panthers were wearing Carlton style jumpers that they still wear today.

When did South wear hooped navy and white jumpers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
I never knew South wore Geelong style jumpers - I have seen their last two Grand Finals on Youtube in 1964 (Premiers) and 1979 (Runner Up) and in both matches, the Panthers were wearing Carlton style jumpers that they still wear today.

When did South wear hooped navy and white jumpers?
Quite early-on it seems;
upload_2017-7-29_8-36-46.png
(SAFC website)
I'm not sure when the mainly blue jumpers were introduced; possibly in the 1910s from one South Australian football history book I read (but with black & white photos and indistinct descriptions that might well have been a state jumper).

By today's standards South v Norwood was a clash (prior to the advent of clash jumpers), but the white shorts policy worked OK along with South's large monogram and Norwood's red collar, cuffs and socks. When things got muddy though, good luck telling them apart!

Jul 4, 2012
County Grant
AFL Club
Geelong
I never talk about footy jumpers with my better half, she loves the game but her passion for the game centres more around her favourites in Geelong and doesn't stray too far from there. But last night while watching the Hawks play the Swans without and prompting she said, "wow this is a good game to watch, it is so easy to tell who is who...unlike watching Carlton play Collingwood." Right then and there I realised why she is my fiancee, never going to let that girl go!

sebastian1812

Senior List
Dec 22, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I never talk about footy jumpers with my better half, she loves the game but her passion for the game centres more around her favourites in Geelong and doesn't stray too far from there. But last night while watching the Hawks play the Swans without and prompting she said, "wow this is a good game to watch, it is so easy to tell who is who...unlike watching Carlton play Collingwood." Right then and there I realised why she is my fiancee, never going to let that girl go!

everything about the hawks/swans rivalry is fantastic, from the history, to the guarantee of a good contest, it always looks great on TV too

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
usually teams don't because of three reasons:
a) the excess travel weight
b) pure laziness
c) they brought what they thought was the correct uniform

In this case 1 is void as the Dogs had to move their kits from Belmore to Homebush (20-30 minute drive depending on traffic).

2 and 3 are the more likely, with 2 probably being the main reason.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
In this case 1 is void as the Dogs had to move their kits from Belmore to Homebush (20-30 minute drive depending on traffic).

2 and 3 are the more likely, with 2 probably being the main reason.
And as the article stated, the uniform they brought was not approved for that game so they clearly knew it was the incorrect uniform.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back