Mongrel - who has it who doesn't ? Does it Matter?

Remove this Banner Ad

Levi finally put a knee into an opponent tonight and scored a mongrel. Tuohey ran down Fisher on a clean break after a 10 meter start - Fisher is really fast I am told...well I got news for you SOS and Bolton - Tuohey is faster and has a lot more mongrel.:mad: Dangerfield tied up Matty Kreuzers arm and swung him into the turf - he scores another mongrel for Geelong and Matty gets a mongrel of a concussion.

Carlton side needs to understand that tackling matters in a real game the touch footy practise stuff doesn't cut it. Also hard to be mongrel when the average Carlton player is 10 kilos lighter than their opponent and 10 meters slower.

No surprises losing another game because there is no midfield is there?

Can mongrel be taught?
Yes I would like to see the players develop things like skills and decision making.
Oh ability to win the ball is a good skill.
hmm time to contemplate

So our most loved player is concussed by a bloke who has a habit of hurting Carlton blokes (judd/murph). Not one player remonstrated. I know it was quite innocuous, but come on, the players would have heard what happened and you cannot tell me Dangerfield was not trying to hurt kruez. We are so timid..it has to change..

Hopefully Dangerfield misses out on a brownlow for that
The commentators became contortionists attempting feebly to pretend it was an accidental.
The AFL won't be drawn into controversy and he will have nothing to answer
Pathetic how the game has become purely guesswork and is manipulated

Can mongrel be taught?
Yes I would like to see the players develop things like skills and decision making.
Oh ability to win the ball is a good skill.
hmm time to contemplate

1. Can mongrel be taught? - yes but the student must be willing - by the age of 18 it is probably too late to learn.
2. Develop skills and decision making - a lot harder to teach than mongrel
3. Ability to win the ball - why did they get drafted in the first place?

Last edited:
I looked at the replay of the tackle a few times - it had more mongrel in it than I thought ...there was conscious knowing intent in that tackle, which look smore like a sling action - look at the way Dangerfield braced and forced Kreuzer into the ground head first..... the more I look at it...and obvious acting going on regarding shock to be penalised, note how quickly Dangerfiled exited the spot as well ..definitely a dirty mongrel example we are looking at...

I reckon a Diesel or a Rhyce would have chased after Dangerfield and whacked him....definite lack of mongrel on the part of Kreuzer's team mates - where were the 1%ers?

Can mongrel be taught?

No.

You either have it naturally or you don't.

Many years ago, Sheedy would meet the prospective player, his parents, visit their home etc just to see what sort of environment they were brought up in. More times than not it gave him a good read on how much "fight" there was in the player.

Not a bad methodology and it seemed to work for them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to show some mongrel this week against the bummers - I'll be watching.
Us or the players?

Genuinely curious .... and a little concerned.

Has been down on confidence but is always one of the first in.

Was there when Cripps was sniped by Lewis.

He was the closest there. Goes down like he is shot with the smallest corky. Not saying he is soft, just needs to learn what he can play with. The difference between sore and injured.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Looks liek Tarzan plays toio much and too often liek Jane - someone needs to get in his ear and say 'hey Sammo mongrel up son'...has all the attributes of a star mongrel and has even shown some against his old Club - needs to bring it every week - forget the mistakes hurt the opponent as often as possible.

When was the last time you left your mums basement ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Has Bolts got enough mongrel in him? Hopefully he learnt something about the value of the coach and his players having a healthy dose of mongrel when he worked with Clarkson.

Has Bolts got enough mongrel in him? Hopefully he learnt something about the value of the coach and his players having a healthy dose of mongrel when he worked with Clarkson.
Good question.

Don't mistake public face of the club with coach behind closed doors.

Don't have to be demonstrative to get your message across.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back