Delisted #25: Alex Morgan - Signed with North Melbourne as a DFA - 1/11/17 - delisted again - 25/10/18

Remove this Banner Ad

And why do you rate him again?

You must have seen different games to me then because he has hardly showed any signs of being an AFL footballer
How bout you read the posts. I was debating against those that said he has not even shown that he is a VFL standard player. He has since back tracked saying he was just joking* so that debate is over...

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk

How bout you read the posts. I was debating against those that said he has not even shown that he is a VFL standard player. He has since back tracked saying he was just joking* so that debate is over...

Get off your high horse. Not trawling through pages of crap

Get off your high horse. Not trawling through pages of crap
Well maybe don't have a crack at the bloke if you're not gonna bother reading his posts?

Just a thought.

He's VFL standard by virtue of his playing for an AFL club. He has not played a game I've seen that indicates to me that if he wasn't AFL listed that he'd be playing VFL.

He has improved his defending from non-existent to okay. If I was picking a side to win a final and it came down to a choice between Heppell, McNiece and Morgan I'd take the VFL/rookie and trust him to do the job required.

On the billy cart after watching the hawks game. It's not a bandwagon yet but that was kinda the first time he did things.

I'd even go so far as to say he had a good game

He's VFL standard by virtue of his playing for an AFL club. He has not played a game I've seen that indicates to me that if he wasn't AFL listed that he'd be playing VFL.

He has improved his defending from non-existent to okay. If I was picking a side to win a final and it came down to a choice between Heppell, McNiece and Morgan I'd take the VFL/rookie and trust him to do the job required.

heres the problem.. recruiters find a player with a good kick and pace, and throw them at HB because its the new place to attack from, somehow forgetting defending is generally also a prerequisite for playing in defence..

how bout we recruit players with defending acumen to be defenders?

we have always loved recruiting mids to be defenders and trying to turn half backs into midfielders and defenders into forward swingmen....the ghost of sheedy lives

heres the problem.. recruiters find a player with a good kick and pace, and throw them at HB because its the new place to attack from, somehow forgetting defending is generally also a prerequisite for playing in defence..

we have always loved recruiting mids to be defenders and trying to turn half backs into midfielders and defenders into forward swingmen....the ghost of sheedy lives

He was recruited as a half back, someone who watches under 18 footy can confirm, but I'm pretty sure he was used to run the ball out of defence.

I am not sure what has happened to this guy, aside from injuries. Among other things, his highlights video when he was drafted showed composure in congestion and really quick, skilful hands. I was pretty excited about his potential back then.

I am not sure what has happened to this guy, aside from injuries. Among other things, his highlights video when he was drafted showed composure in congestion and really quick, skilful hands. I was pretty excited about his potential back then.

It was the injuries. Lost a bit of confidence because of the continued issues. He was always a bit up and own at under 18 level and gave it away for a while as a bottom age layer because of injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you think we'll persist with him?

No, i think he is one of those blokes you take a chance on but in the end they fall short. If the lists where like they where 30 years ago and you had 40 to 50 players you would but now days you have to move them through.

You can teach a player how to defend, you can't teach them how to kick it 55+ off either foot or have incredible speed and agility.

In short, Morgan was recruited to produce what McKenna is currently doing. Unfortunately a combination of injuries and low confidence has taken this attacking mindset away from him, leaving us with an average defender that provides very little rebound. Doubt he stays on the list in any form, but there is still hope for him if he continues to pursue and AFL career. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow had a terrible two years on Carlton's list before being delisted and moving to Port Melbourne, where he is having a really good season in the VFL. Sometimes a change of scenery is just what a player needs to perform their best.

In short, Morgan was recruited to produce what McKenna is currently doing. Unfortunately a combination of injuries and low confidence has taken this attacking mindset away from him, leaving us with an average defender that provides very little rebound. Doubt he stays on the list in any form, but there is still hope for him if he continues to pursue and AFL career. Dillon Viojo-Rainbow had a terrible two years on Carlton's list before being delisted and moving to Port Melbourne, where he is having a really good season in the VFL. Sometimes a change of scenery is just what a player needs to perform their best.

Also worth pointing out that he was recruited pre McGrath and Ridley, pre McKenna and Redman switching ends and pre Gleeson going from a maybe to a definite, round 23 2015 (the last game before we picked him) our small defenders were foetal Gleeson, Bags, Pears and Fantasia...yeah.

What will be interesting is where they go with him now, because I personally saw signs of life for the first time on Saturday (in particular a couple of unbelievably clean one handed pickups on the move, one was almost a match saver), and we're traditionally not great at cutting and running early.

Also worth pointing out that he was recruited pre McGrath and Ridley, pre McKenna and Redman switching ends and pre Gleeson going from a maybe to a definite, round 23 2015 (the last game before we picked him) our small defenders were foetal Gleeson, Bags, Pears and Fantasia...yeah.

What will be interesting is where they go with him now, because I personally saw signs of life for the first time on Saturday (in particular a couple of unbelievably clean one handed pickups on the move, one was almost a match saver), and we're traditionally not great at cutting and running early.

Wingman? Outside mid?

Wingman? Outside mid?

Dunno yet, which is almost the point, I don't think we're at a point where we can make a definitive call either way on him

Yeah, his type was definitely a need when picked at the time. Arguably still is with McGrath spending more time in the midfield in the future.

I'd give him a rookie lifeline, but am aware that this view is probably bias. Still, if we were willing to select him over the likes of Bonner and Mathieson, then maybe we will have some patience with him? Potentially a very high reward prospect if we do since we've already fixed him defensively. Just need to give Morgan some of McKenna's confidence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back