2017 AFL international cup

Remove this Banner Ad

mikey127

Premiership Player
Feb 4, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The 2017 AFL international cup kicks off at Royal Park in Melbourne this Sunday. For those that don't know is basically the World cup of our great game minus Australia.

The standard continues to improve and if we really believe our game is the best game in the world we need to get serious about promoting it outside of Australia.

get to a game if you can http://www.afl.com.au/internationalcup

http://worldfootynews.com/ is another great website for news and info.

As a former fanatical follower of Rugby League and English Premier League and soccer in general I agree with you Australian Rules is the best team sport on the planet, can't beat it for spectator appeal IMO.

We are never going to be even a blip on the radar of international sports though, soccer has that all tied up into the foreseeable future. IMO just concentrate on and pour all our resources ie. $$$ into absolutely dominating the Australian market, including QLD and NSW which I see as far more realistic than any sort of international footprint.

Promote the game aggressively in migrant communities nation wide and try to get schools to take a far bigger interest in Australian Rules in QLD and NSW would be a great start.

As a former fanatical follower of Rugby League and English Premier League and soccer in general I agree with you Australian Rules is the best team sport on the planet, can't beat it for spectator appeal IMO.

We are never going to be even a blip on the radar of international sports though, soccer has that all tied up into the foreseeable future. IMO just concentrate on and pour all our resources ie. $$$ into absolutely dominating the Australian market, including QLD and NSW which I see as far more realistic than any sort of international footprint.

Promote the game aggressively in migrant communities nation wide and try to get schools to take a far bigger interest in Australian Rules in QLD and NSW would be a great start.
Jason in some countries like the USA and Europe yes its going to be a lot more difficult but I think in Asia, the pacific the sub-continent and South Africa we can have a lot more success

South Africa only have 3 big sports Soccer, Cricket and Rugby and the game has made some real inroads there and they have the athleticism for our game.

A country like India has the population for another sport and one advantage they have that many other countries don't have is that they have the right shaped grounds.

Even with the USA and Europe yes it will be tough but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Jason in some countries like the USA and Europe yes its going to be a lot more difficult but I think in Asia, the pacific the sub-continent and South Africa we can have a lot more success

South Africa only have 3 big sports Soccer, Cricket and Rugby and the game has made some real inroads there and they have the athleticism for our game.

A country like India has the population for another sport and one advantage they have that many other countries don't have is that they have the right shaped grounds.

Even with the USA and Europe yes it will be tough but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.
Unfortunately if it ever happens I will have long departed this mortal coil.

Do you think maybe clicking the links in the OP might give you that info?
Thanks dude.

Men's Division 1 -
AFL IC17 Competition Structure > One pool of 10 teams > Canada, Fiji, France, Great Britain, Ireland, Nauru, New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, South Africa, USA
> After 4 group matches teams are ranked on a ladder from 1 - 10
> Grand Finals are 1 v 2, 3 v 4, 5 v 6, 7 v 8, 9 v 10:
So 5 different grand finals to determine who places in the final positions from 1st to 10th.

That's one way to organize a competition I suppose.

For anyone thinking of attending, going by last time, a good time is generally had by all.

Suburban feel, usually a few food trucks on site, and 3 ovals of action in close proximity.

One word of warning though, keep an eye out for the weather, as shelter is VERY limited.

I'm tipping the USA AK-47,s in a tight finish over the New Zealand Lambs with the Nauru Asylum Seekers taking the spoon.
Nauru are actually quite good have beaten much bigger countries such as GB. Little known fact is Nauru is the only other country in the world where our game is the number 1 sport (I believe its number 2 behind league in PNG).

Thanks dude.

So 5 different grand finals to determine who places in the final positions from 1st to 10th.

That's one way to organize a competition I suppose.
Yeah there not really grand finals even though titled that way. Its really 1 grand final and 4 classification games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember last time it was held, the AFL was too tight to even help the teams get here. Hopefully this time around they have dipped into their millions and given them a hand.
All of the German players had to pay their own way over, so I'm assuming the AFL hasn't paid a cent.

I still find it amazing that so Little people know about this. If the AFL really wanted to grow the game why not televise it?
funnily enough the televised the very first one which was taken a lot less seriously then now and was a lot worse standard.

Belive this time it is streamed online though

I still find it amazing that so Little people know about this. If the AFL really wanted to grow the game why not televise it?

Honestly?

The standard of play isn't exactly a great advertisement for the game, so the time/money/effort would probably be better spent in other areas.

Doesn't mean it's not fun to watch for someone who is already a fan of the game....Hard fought, good spirit and so forth, but the skills are about what you'd expect if you walked up to a random suburban game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back